hey everyone, recently i have purchased a boss gt10 with hopes to use it in conjunction with my blue voodoo amp. the gt10 was supposed to switch the amps channel and use the 4 cable method to be able to put fx like OD and all that in the preamp with modulation and eq in the fx loop. and use the amps channels and preamp it works but my tone blows partly because of the BV. turns out that the BV suffered some form of internal damage during my recent move and i dont have the patience to bring it back into the shop. so i guess ill be looking for a new amp. i have found 3 or 4 amps that id be willing to get myself into and id like some opinions. plus here is the usual what amp form.

Nearest major city: scranton pa there is NOTHING on craigslist by the way
budget: less than 500.
new/used: unfortunately it has to be used from guitar center
head/combo: id prefer a head since id like to keep my 4x12
style: please read below

1. bugera 6260 for 399.99 used
2. egnater rebel 20 for 300.00 used
3. egnater rebel 30 for 599.00 used (this will be a hard sell for the wife)
4. bogner alchemist for 499.00 used id have to get guitar center to ship it up from new jersey but i have played several before and was pleased with the outcome

i my musical tastes have changed and id like my rig to reflect that. what im after is an amp that can stand on its own and deliver tones from mr big and extreme to all eras of van halen and use my gt10 preamps for heavier stuff like killswitch and times of grace if the amp cant handle it. the gt10 is a great tool and i dont want to get rid of it because of what it can do but my BV just isnt cutting it for being totally well rounded.

sorry for the long rant, its kinda hard to explain what im after but for those that understand i thank you.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
The only one I've tried out of those is the Alchemist, and I was practically sold on it until I got s sweet deal on my 6505+
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
The Bogner sounds amazing, but I've heard of some reliability issues. That may have been blown out of proportion, but I would still have a hard time buying an amp that has been reported to have reliablity issues used without having the warranty.
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
i cant get myself into a 6505 unfortunately because it will be a step to the side rather than a step forward. id have great metal tone and nail SOME van halen but thats it im afraid. plus the only one i have found is a combo that id immediately turn into a head. but im not about to get into that right now.

im just not too sure what kind of amp to get myself into. im kinda limited in the used selection here. those are whats listed on the website but GC is over an hour away and i dont want to make a drive just to look. if u know what i mean.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

I am a fan of the egnater amps. With the GT10 you should be able to get just about any sound you want out of them. I would go for the 30 though just for the extra headroom.
GEAR
Vox SDC 33
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
i have only tried the tweaker 15 or whatever it is. and it was cool pretty ballsy for a 15 watter. i have no need for a 100w half stack either. a 40w max amp should suffice. is the 30 a 2 channel head or 1?
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

The rebel 30 is 2 channel. Do you have any problems buying stuff from ebay? If you liked the sound of the tweaker you tried, they have a new B*stock tweaker 40 head for $557 shipped. I think it would fit what you are looking for and still comes with a factory warranty.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Egnater-Tweaker-40-Amp-40W-Head-B-/160732157187?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256c621503
GEAR
Vox SDC 33
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
for that im gonna have to sell the bv somehow with a quickness to get something off of ebay. thats why i prefer GC trade in stuff, yeah u take a hit but sometimes they have good deals the bv has been on CL now for a week and a half with nothing, but i knew it would be a hard resell due to the Crate name. . im going to GC tomorrow to see whats up. im looking at 175 for the bv. hopefully they have something there that is worthwhile.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It's a shame you don't live near me, I'd give you a sheckle or two for a broken BV. The only Crate worth owning imo.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i really do like it but i ive had an itch for a new amp and the fact that its on the fritz is making me upset.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

What about the JCA 22h?
It has a clean ch and the SLO circut on the 2nd ch. and it has an FX loop. They are only $399 new and are solid amps.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by iheartgun
i really do like it but i ive had an itch for a new amp and the fact that its on the fritz is making me upset.

What's wrong with it exactly?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Robbgnarly
What about the JCA 22h?
It has a clean ch and the SLO circut on the 2nd ch. and it has an FX loop. They are only $399 new and are solid amps.

i totally forgot about those amps. ill check them out. i already own the pico valve through them and i think its a great classic rock amp.

Cathbard:

its making a horrid buzzing sound (sorta like a bad ground loop hum) on the gain channel so bad in fact that it alters the tone of the amp. also it has about half the gain as it normally would. even with the amps preamp disabled when using the gt10 with the 4cm the buzz comes through. im pretty sure its the power amp. the board that the tubes is on might have come undone from the rest of the amp or a tube is going out but they all light up properly and there is no other signs of dying tubes i have pulled every single tube and used detoxit and cleaned all the pins and still nothing.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Try a new tube in the phase inverter before you give up on it. Buzzing can be a lot of things though. I'd want to have it open in front of me to diagnose it tbh. I was hoping it was something more obvious.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
sadly i already tried a new tube in the phase inverter. no such luck. the only thing i havent tried yet is pulling pairs of power tubes to see if that helps determine if its a power tube issue.

i was gonna pull the outer pair and play around and if no change pull the inner pair and put the outer pair back in but i wasnt sure since i believe that it will screw my bias up.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

No it won't. Just switch the impedance switch down one notch after you pull them and you'll be ok. That's a fine idea. Certainly something I'd try.

I have a BV schematic around here somewhere. Give me a sec and I'll take a look at it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
ok cool ill go try that. im running at 16ohm into a 16 ohm cab just knock it down to 8 and go? i think my cab switches from 16 to 8.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Yeah, switch the amp to 8 ohm if running it into a 16 ohm cab.

My schematic is one of the worst schematics I've ever seen. From what I can tell though it's just a normal fixed biased setup with a trimpot so you'll be fine, you are only testing anyway.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
so i pulled the outer pair of tubes with the head on 8ohms going into the cab at 16ohm and there was a serious reduction in noise and the amp sounds like normal again. im waiting for it to cool down so i can pull the inner pair and try the outer pair just to see if it changes.

in my thinking the amp is now running at 60 watts correct? if i wanted to couldnt i keep it this way? i think i have seen a guy on here with a BV running it like this. or do i have to rebias and all that?
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

You are right in your thinking. It turns it into a BV60 pretty much. The bias should be ok. I'd check it anyway but I check the biasing on everything I touch, even cathode biased amps. I'm a bit odd that way.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
just checked the other tubes and there is more noise to my ears. i might just run it as the inner pair until i decide what im gonna do with it. it does sound better to me as a 60 anyway. a little more raunchy.

i cant check the bias yet since i dont own a bias probe and my local shop gave me a terrified look when i asked them if they did biasing.

thanks for your help cath i learned some more valuable info today.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Hopefully I've just saved you a buttload of money.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Hopefully I've just saved you a buttload of money.

Damn You! I was hoping I could talk him out of it CHEAP!

Just kidding of course, good on ya for helping out! You're wrong, BTW, there are other Crate amps worth owning...(The Palomino 16's and 32's...)
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Never tried a Palomino but yeah, forgot about those. I've heard good things.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i think you might have saved me money and a headache from the wife! lol not too sure which is more appreciated.

oh yes and the palamino amps are quite nice as well. someone did a SLO mod on one and it was teh shizz
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board