Page 1 of 2
Hey pit.

I was wondering what do you think are the things that make a being a human.
Is it the way that it was created, e.g. regular insemination and birth or perhaps cloning?
Or is it the biological meaning of a species, a population of subjects that can reproduce and have fertile descendants? (Not concerning otherwise healthy people infertile because of medical problems, but only the ones who have been mutated during fertilisation and have, let's say 47 cromosomes (Down's syndrome))

Is a cloned person less human than a human born the ordinary way?
Is a mutated person less human than a healthy person?
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
it's all bout arms n legs, brah
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
Opposable thumbs, hard nail present on the hallux, Certain configuration of the occlusal surface of the teeth, fusion of the mandibular symphysis, some other things as well.
A cloned human is a human. The only time when humanity is debatable is when there's something like an android that can perfectly imitate human beings' brains.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Having a butthole and opinions.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by Guodlca
Is a cloned person less human than a human born the ordinary way?
Is a mutated person less human than a healthy person?

If they're a clone then of course they're human...
Everyone is mutated.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart
If they're a clone then of course they're human...
Everyone is mutated.

Perhaps I should emphasize that I had greater mutations in mind, different number of chromosomes mostly. Mutations that make a being unable to have fertile descendants with another human.
How to find out whether a living being is human or not, in terms that guitar players can understand:

Ask said being "Do you like heavy metal?"
If said being responds with "yes," "no," "I have no strong feelings one way or the other," "what is this 'heavy metal' of which you speak?" or similar, chances are, they are human.
If said being responds with "woof," "meow," similar sounds, or by flinging poop at you, chances are they are not human.
There are some exceptions, but for the most part that covers what is human and what isn't.
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
Empathy, compassion, love, sacrifice, courage, wisdom, loyalty.

Too bad dogs are more human than us.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
The ability to fly to the moon using 400 year old science. That's my definition of human.
Trained, I see imperfection in your race.
Lying in wait, blind I suffer knowing I'll never reach
Your heaven - it's unattainable.

*awaiting the robot invasion*
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Dumb, ignorant, ugly, fat, self-centered, bitchy...that's about all you need to be a human.
A conscience.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Quote by Våd Hamster
A MISERABLE LITTLE PILE OF SECRETS

Also:

A MISERABLE LITTLE BILE OF SECRETION.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
The ability to parallel park.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
The clothes they wear.
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
Quote by pwnerer
Except clones

I did realise that issue, although cans of worms are best untouched.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by thewho65
Plato gave the definition of man as a featherless biped. Then Diogenes plucked a chicken and presented it to that know-it-all and said "Behold, I've brought you a man."

Needless to say Diogenes probably got laid later that night.

And so did his featherless chicken.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Sapience. It's our defining feature.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Meths
Sapience. It's our defining feature.

But let's say that someone would be so mentally handicapped that one wouldn't even be aware of oneself.
Thumbs
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by Guodlca
But let's say that someone would be so mentally handicapped that one wouldn't even be aware of oneself.

Then would they actually experience all the defining features of humanity?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Any living or extinct species within the genus Homo?
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by RU Experienced?
inb4 Philosophical zombies.

What if these braaaaiiiiinsss I'm eating are in fact shadows on the wall of a cave, and because those shadows on the cave wall are all I percieve, I believe they are reality and thus I can eat them?
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
Quote by Meths
Then would they actually experience all the defining features of humanity?

Certainly not, I was just wondering if you would still call them human?
Quote by Carswell98
Any living or extinct species within the genus Homo?

I had in mind the modern human, homo sapiens sapiens. In this case, according to the Genetics paragraph of this, human species have 46 chromosomes.
Would you call a mule a horse or a donkey? Mules have 63 chromosomes, a mixture of the horse's 64 and the donkey's 62. Would you call a being that was produced by two humans a human if one had perhaps 47 or 45 chromosomes instead of 46?
Quote by Guodlca
Certainly not, I was just wondering if you would still call them human?

In a sense yes, in others, no. A chimpanzee is more like me (in terms of behaviour) than someone with severe mental disabilities may be. I don't see how genetics would be relevant in that case.
But in a genetic sense, they plainly are.

Oscar Wilde
Quote by Guodlca

I had in mind the modern human, homo sapiens sapiens. In this case, according to the Genetics paragraph of this, human species have 46 chromosomes.
Would you call a mule a horse or a donkey? Mules have 63 chromosomes, a mixture of the horse's 64 and the donkey's 62. Would you call a being that was produced by two humans a human if one had perhaps 47 or 45 chromosomes instead of 46?

All members of the genus homo are thought to have 46 chromosomes, chromosome count is not an appropriate way of differentiating species.

Also, Neanderthals, Denisovans, and Modern humans interbred and produced fertile offspring. Would you still call us modern humans or something else?, because everyone in the world save for those of sub-Saharan African descent owes part of their genetic inheritance to one or both of those different species.

I was just making a general statement because of the difficulty in setting rigid species guidelines... I also said that because the word "human" comes from our latin genus name, therefore applying to all living or deceased members of it.
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Page 1 of 2