I'm about to purchase a 4 track cassette recorder and am curious as to what wires do I use for ins and outs if there are outs. And how does the recorder record. Does it save it and allow you to burn a cassette if you want or do you need new tape every time you record?
you need to tape everytime you record. the wires you use would depend on what jacks your recorder has (probably 1/4")
I would seriously recommend you don't buy a 4 track cassette recorder, save up a bit more money and get a proper digital multitracker instead.

What you are considering is extremely basic and outdated kit. The question about whether or not it saves what you have recorded tells me you have done absolutely no research into what you are buying. It's a cassette recorder. It records to cassette. It 'saves' what is recorded until you record over it.

Seriously, you don't want this kit. Get a digital multitracker.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
I would seriously recommend you don't buy a 4 track cassette recorder, save up a bit more money and get a proper digital multitracker instead.

What you are considering is extremely basic and outdated kit. The question about whether or not it saves what you have recorded tells me you have done absolutely no research into what you are buying. It's a cassette recorder. It records to cassette. It 'saves' what is recorded until you record over it.

Seriously, you don't want this kit. Get a digital multitracker.

This.
I know 4 tracks have a retro charm, but it's gonna be totally impractical and extremely limited
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
You can get a digital 4 track for relatively little money. I'd go for that instead, as it is much less limiting.
yep
The reason I have a multi track tape recorder is to capture raw song ideas. I don't want a digital multi tracker. And I haven't done research yet so that's why I posted on ug.
Quote by the singer 22
The reason I have a multi track tape recorder is to capture raw song ideas. I don't want a digital multi tracker. And I haven't done research yet so that's why I posted on ug.

You can do that with a digital recorder.

Seriously, you don't want a cassette recorder. They were out of date over 10 years ago. Now they're practically antiques, but without any value.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by the singer 22

You can capture raw song ideas much easier, and then turn them into full out songs from the raw tracks with a DAW. It's just more practical in every single aspect.
I don't even think hipsters use tape recorders anymore.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by the singer 22
I'm not a hipster haha and I just want the analog tape uncooked raw sound

Pretty easy to do that in a DAW, just don't process the shit out of everything and put some tape saturation plug ins on the master.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by the singer 22

Read this thread:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1508913
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by the singer 22

....which you'll then be converting into a digital file to share on the internet, yes?

Don't be an idiot. If you want to quickly jot down musical ideas and put together rough demos, a little digital multitracker is perfect. Tape is a pain in the arse.

Say you've got a cool song you've just been working on and you want to let your drummer have a listen to work out a part.
You think he'll be pleased to get given a low-quality cassette tape and then have to spend an hour digging through the garage to find out if he even owns a cassette player any more? Or would he rather just click a handy Soundcloud link in FB chat and listen right there in high quality on his computer speakers?
I never said I was gonna put them on the Internet. This is just for me. I already have a digital recorder man. Wanting a cassette deck doesnt make someone an idiot
But yes you have a valid point sir. I just want a used cassette deck cause they are cheap af. I don't want to spend a couple hundred on a digital multi tracker
Quote by the singer 22
But yes you have a valid point sir. I just want a used cassette deck cause they are cheap af. I don't want to spend a couple hundred on a digital multi tracker

Then have you considered just getting an interface and using software on your PC as your DAW instead?

There's a bit of a steeper learning curve, but it's cheaper to get started and once you've got it all figured out it's far more flexible and offers all the same functions as a digital multitracker as well as being able to use other software based instruments etc.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by the singer 22

Can you even buy cassette tape any more? Actually I see on eBay that they are $3 to $5 each which means with the cost of the recorder you are going to hit "a couple hundred" pretty quick.

I use either my Zoom H4N when on the road or a Boss BR-800 if it is close by to record quick ideas. I also have a M-Audio Fast Track Ultra permanently connected to an iMac with a mic and a guitar cable for those fast 3am idea records.
Jesus christ guys. If he wants to record on tape let him. Yes people still do release tapes (locally by me, and yeah, they're all hipsters), and yes you can still find them. Cheap as hell at a thrift store. New and unopened.

You will suffer way more loss than using a cheap digital recorder but if that's the vibe you're going for- do it.
Quote by suppositron
Jesus christ guys. If he wants to record on tape let him. Yes people still do release tapes (locally by me, and yeah, they're all hipsters), and yes you can still find them. Cheap as hell at a thrift store. New and unopened.

You will suffer way more loss than using a cheap digital recorder but if that's the vibe you're going for- do it.

4 Track Tape Recorder =/= A Cassette Tape Recorder.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
4 Track Tape Recorder =/= A Cassette Tape Recorder.

Actually they are the same, a 4 track cassette tape recorder just records all four tracks in one direction. Then to make a cassette tape playable in a consumer two side player you have to remaster (with yet even more loss and added hiss) to a "stereo" two sided product. This process varies between models.

A true studio quality four track tape recorder (reel to reel) is a completely different animal.
Last edited by Quintex at Feb 10, 2012,
Thanks man. I'm open to both ways. Once I get enough money why are some good digital multi trackers for a decent price?
thanks guys. ill be open to both ways though once i get more money. what are some good 4 track digital recorders? For a moderate price of course
I went through this same decision a few weeks ago, I ended up getting a digital Boss BR-532 off of Craigslist for $85. Even though an analog four track is cooler, it's definitely not as practical or easily accessible as a digital one is.
Quote by the singer 22
thanks guys. ill be open to both ways though once i get more money. what are some good 4 track digital recorders? For a moderate price of course

The main brands to watch out for are Fostex, Zoom and Tascam.

If you're just looking for something basic & easy to use, I'd probably recommend Fostex. I used to have a VF-80 and I'd consider them to be excellent for the price you can get them for - on ebay they usually go for under £100, but you need to make sure it has the CD-writer installed or it's pretty worthless (they don't make the CD writer anymore so without it you can't get your songs off the recorder).
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud