I've been using my B-52 LS100 for about a year now and it's treated me great, but it's time to upgrade! I recently got a 2x12 cab with V30s and I'm ready to get a better head.

Do you think anything above 30 Watts all tube will be good enough for me? The only places I'll be playing without a mic'd amp will be bars.

The main thing that I like about the B-52 is the fact that it has a clean channel and 2 gain channels. I use one of them as a boost, so that's what I want in a new head as well.

I want a pretty high gain amp. I play mostly punk/rock/hardcore. I'm never drop tuned very low at all, but I like to have a thick punchy distortion tone. My budget is preferably under $800 (USD).
TABBERS WANTED
If you are interested, and are up to it, please PM me for more info on the song.
Yes, it's just one song in particular, theres no shredding or fast solos.
It is a mellow, instrumental, clean, song.
Last edited by JRib1216 at Feb 10, 2012,
30w tube will be more than enough, though more than that won't be too much as long as you use the volume knob (a concept many here don't get).

Check out a Carvin V3, Jet City JCA50h/100h, used Marshall DSL100, or a used Peavey XXX/3120/Ultra.
The Peavey XXX comes to mind or you could get the Bugera version of it which is the 333XL. Also check out Jet city, they make great amps.

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
I looked into the Bugera 333XL and the JCA50h. The Bugera looks great. Just what I want as far as features, price range, and what genres it's good for. I'm just wondering why it's so cheap! The Jet City amp has significantly less wattage, but is about the same price new.
TABBERS WANTED
If you are interested, and are up to it, please PM me for more info on the song.
The reason they're so cheap is that they're built pretty cheaply basically plus they're competing with Peavey aswell as they're Peavey rip off's. I'd go for the Jet city as its probably better overall, even though its 50w it will still be very loud. Also if you liked having 3 channels then you could buy an overdrive pedal and use that as a boost like the channel on your B52.

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Quote by blything09
The reason they're so cheap is that they're built pretty cheaply basically plus they're competing with Peavey aswell as they're Peavey rip off's. I'd go for the Jet city as its probably better overall, even though its 50w it will still be very loud. Also if you liked having 3 channels then you could buy an overdrive pedal and use that as a boost like the channel on your B52.

Ahh I see. I'll have to watch some video reviews for it or something. Anyone have any other suggestions or personal experience with a Jet City 50W or 100W?
TABBERS WANTED
What about a Peavey ValveKing/Tubescreamer setup? The reason i say that is well, my local craigslist has several heads going used for like 300-400 bucks..
Quote by JRib1216
Ahh I see. I'll have to watch some video reviews for it or something. Anyone have any other suggestions or personal experience with a Jet City 50W or 100W?
I do. It has enough gain for any genre of metal and really good cleans, though it's sound is rather different than what you'd typically hear from most mainstream amps (6505, Mesa, etc.). It also comes in combo version if you don't like the head/cab deal, the 5012rc (NOT 5212rc). Here's a recording of the 100w: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Ian_the_fox/music/play1072691 I had the gain around 4 in that clip.
Quote by surjer
What about a Peavey ValveKing/Tubescreamer setup? The reason i say that is well, my local craigslist has several heads going used for like 300-400 bucks..

The ValveKing 100 is one that i've looked at a little bit. Haven't listened to any samples yet though. The features look good though!
TABBERS WANTED
Since you're here in the states you can find Carvin gear dirt cheap. Try looking into a V3. I've seen them on craigslist for around $550. Some really good suggestions in this thread, especially the jet city.
Quote by a_hub10
Since you're here in the states you can find Carvin gear dirt cheap. Try looking into a V3. I've seen them on craigslist for around $550. Some really good suggestions in this thread, especially the jet city.

Do you think the V3m would work well with what I said in my first post?
TABBERS WANTED
Quote by JRib1216
Do you think the V3m would work well with what I said in my first post?

Definitely. I think the only real difference other than wattage is that the V3m doesn't support MIDI. I would have bought one if they had been out at the time.

EDIT: The new V3 heads have reverb...............damn.
Last edited by a_hub10 at Feb 10, 2012,
The Jet City heads or the Carvin heads would eat the Valveking alive.

I'd really look hard at the JCA100 or JCA50. The only difference between the two of them is that the JCA100 will stay a little cleaner at higher volumes. The JCA50 will have power tube breakup a bit earlier.

Both of them will be loud as hell, though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
The sound of the JCA50/100 is different than the typical Peavey high gain sound. The bottom end isn't nowhere near as tight, instead its round and defined. It's definitely a high gain head though .

The cleans on the amp aren't spectacular, but they're definitely workable. They're much better than 6505 cleans but they're not sparkly airy clean either. The normal channel does excellent crunch tones and the OD is high gain throughout the entire sweep pretty much. It starts getting compressed above 6 or so, but is totally useable through the majority of its sweep.

Ian: Excellent tones btw, what tubes are you running in your 100 and what speakers? And what settings haha? Mine has a similar smooth distortion but the low mids sound different and the high end is structured a bit different. That could just be from the mixing though.

EDIT: Punk and high gain, you say? A seriously viable option would be a Peavey VTM 60/120. Its the most underlooked, horribly/epically underpriced amp in existence. I keep waiting for one to pop up locally when I have the cash to snag one.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Feb 10, 2012,
Quote by Raijouta
The Jet City heads or the Carvin heads would eat the Valveking alive.

I'd really look hard at the JCA100 or JCA50. The only difference between the two of them is that the JCA100 will stay a little cleaner at higher volumes. The JCA50 will have power tube breakup a bit earlier.

Both of them will be loud as hell, though.

Agreed. I've owned several Peavey heads and loved them. Built like tanks, but I've never liked the valveking. The only thing that I think would make the V3 more suitable for the TS is that he said he likes to have 3 channels. Don't get me wrong I love the Jet City as well.
Quote by Flux'D
Ian: Excellent tones btw, what tubes are you running in your 100 and what speakers? And what settings haha? Mine has a similar smooth distortion but the low mids sound different and the high end is structured a bit different. That could just be from the mixing though.
All of the tubes are stock, and the cab is my Krank Rev Jr. 1x12 with the Eminence Legend in it (in the recording, I've swapped the speaker since). Can't remember the exact settings but I believe the EQ was fairly balanced, and the gain and volume were both around 4. There is only a slight bit of post processing done; I boosted the high end just a bit with the EQ in Reaper when I recorded it, just to open the sound up a bit since the original tone sounded somewhat closed and harsh.

Same setup was used here to record this, although I'm personally not fond of the tone they dialed in here (I'm not playing here, though I did mix it and stuff): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PJVhRG6D7g
You want to be looking at a 50W or, ideally 100W amp. The Bugera 333 or 6262 would suit you perfectly.

Have a look and see if there's a used Mesa Boogie DC-5 near you - you'd love it.
Ian: Interesting, I'm running a Legend V128 in an oversized 112 cab, though it is open back. I'm planning on closing the back since I built the cab, I just haven't got around to it due to an ongoing knee injury where I can't even lift the head off the cab. I keep my EQ fairly balanced as well, with the bass and treble rolled off a bit and the presence backed off. I run my Flying V through it and the 500T has a bunch of top end bite, taming that is the key to my setup thus far.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

There seems to be something about all of these amps that's a downside to me.

the jca50h sounds like it'd be great for the distortion setting, but the cleans are seriously lacking and the fx loop sounds like a pain.

from what i've read, the carvin v3 distortion tones are very loose, whereas i'd like a tight, meaty tone. (would a d-sonic or crunch lab help this?)

However, I can get a used Marshall jcm2000 TSL 100 for $700. I've heard mixed reviews about this amp. What I want for cleans is a nice warm, but fender-ish tone.
TABBERS WANTED
With that budget, you should pick up a Peavey JSX on ebay. No need to mess around with the Bugera stuff.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by JRib1216
the jca50h sounds like it'd be great for the distortion setting, but the cleans are seriously lacking and the fx loop sounds like a pain.

from what i've read, the carvin v3 distortion tones are very loose, whereas i'd like a tight, meaty tone. (would a d-sonic or crunch lab help this?)
I'm not so sure about the JCA50h's cleans, but I can easily get a good clean sound out of my 100h: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_v9Q-uBPGo

As for the FX loop: it is a pain in the ass because of it running at line level, but EBtech makes a box that allows you to shift back and forth between pedal level and rack level: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/ebtech-2-channel-line-level-shifter/189100000000000?src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26019472

I've heard some say that the Carvin V3 stock is loose mainly with low tunings, but from what I've heard, replacing the stock EL34's with 6l6's tightens it up significantly. Kinda like in this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFIVB5NWHAY
Quote by Ian_the_fox
I'm not so sure about the JCA50h's cleans, but I can easily get a good clean sound out of my 100h

As for the FX loop: it is a pain in the ass because of it running at line level, but EBtech makes a box that allows you to shift back and forth between pedal level and rack level

I've heard some say that the Carvin V3 stock is loose mainly with low tunings, but from what I've heard, replacing the stock EL34's with 6l6's tightens it up significantly. Kinda like in this clip.

Nice! I like those kind of cleans for metal, but I don't think I'll be using it that way. I'd use more of a jangly, bassy, tone.

What exactly does that EBtech thing do? How would it be set up in the FX loop? Also, as I'm new to FX loops, what kinds of pedals would go in there and what kind of pedals up front?

That is a lot of difference!

I think I'm looking more into the JCA amps again thanks to you haha. I found a really nice demo where this guy gets the kinds of tones I'm looking for:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rZCCiXb3Qk&feature=fvwrel
How much of his tone at around 3:43 is influenced by his EMGs? I'm looking to get a Dimarzio D-Sonic for my bridge to tighten up my metal tones, would it create a similar effect to what we hear at around that point?
TABBERS WANTED
Quote by JRib1216
What exactly does that EBtech thing do? How would it be set up in the FX loop? Also, as I'm new to FX loops, what kinds of pedals would go in there and what kind of pedals up front?
It allows guitar pedals that run at instrument level (+10dbu) to run at professional line level, and work with line level fx loops (+4dbu). If you tried to use pedals in a line level loop, they'll clip and sound like crap. Essentially with the EBtech you'd plug in the "Send" and "Return" from the amp into both of the +4 jacks on the EBtech, and use each respective jack on the EBtech as the send and return like you would normally.

Any time based or modulation FX should go in the loop, such as chorus, delay, reverb, phaser, etc. Drive, comp, wah, fuzz, etc. should go up front.

Quote by JRib1216
I think I'm looking more into the JCA amps again thanks to you haha. I found a really nice demo where this guy gets the kinds of tones I'm looking for:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rZCCiXb3Qk&feature=fvwrel
How much of his tone at around 3:43 is influenced by his EMGs? I'm looking to get a Dimarzio D-Sonic for my bridge to tighten up my metal tones, would it create a similar effect to what we hear at around that point?
Being passive pickups the D-sonics should provide more clarity and dynamics than EMG's, and be far less compressed. A lot of his tone comes from hard picking technique.
Used Egnater Renegade, Love that amp but I second the Carvin V3M seems like a versatile little amp.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Do you guys think I should take my buddy up on the $700 jcm2000 TSL 100? Or would I be better off going for a jca50h?
TABBERS WANTED
Quote by JRib1216
Do you guys think I should take my buddy up on the $700 jcm2000 TSL 100? Or would I be better off going for a jca50h?
Definitely JCA before the TSL. Though I suggest getting the 100h over the 50h for the extra clean headroom.
TSL wasn't that great of an amp to be honest, the DSL is much better and it's still mediocre stock
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by JRib1216
There seems to be something about all of these amps that's a downside to me.

However, I can get a used Marshall jcm2000 TSL 100 for $700. I've heard mixed reviews about this amp. What I want for cleans is a nice warm, but fender-ish tone.

I don't find my V3 loose at all. Its not quite as tight as my 5150, but I just boost it with an od to make up for it.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Definitely JCA before the TSL. Though I suggest getting the 100h over the 50h for the extra clean headroom.

Yeah if I get one, it'll probably be the 100W. Also, Jet City qualifies for musician's friend and guitar center online deals, whereas many other brands don't.

Quote by Flux'D
TSL wasn't that great of an amp to be honest, the DSL is much better and it's still mediocre stock

Yeah that's what I'm gathering from reviews...oh well! I thought it was a good deal and just thought i'd ask

Quote by a_hub10
I don't find my V3 loose at all. Its not quite as tight as my 5150, but I just boost it with an od to make up for it.

So you just use the stock distortion with an OD? Do you recommend the TS9?
TABBERS WANTED
Quote by JRib1216
So you just use the stock distortion with an OD? Do you recommend the TS9?

I use an MXR ZW-44. Really any OD will do. Just turn the volume on the pedal all the way up and turn the gain and tone controls down. It just boosts the input of the amp and makes things a little tighter. A TS-9 would do the job just fine.

EDIT: Yes I do use it with the stock distortion.
Last edited by a_hub10 at Feb 16, 2012,