I'm not sure if it's a problem or just bad listening skills but, whenever I'm talking to someone on the street or somewhere with alot of background noise, I tend to hear the background noise more than the person/people I'm trying to listen to.

It makes it hard for me to understand what people are saying in conversations sometimes. I used to ask people to repeat what they said but it really ruined the flow of conversation for both of us.

This happens with games and movies too. I've noticed that it seems to wear off a little when I'm high/drunk.

Does anybody else have this kind of issue, or atleast know what it's called.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Premature conversation?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
This happens to me all the time. I've even consulted a doctor and he said there was nothing wrong with my hearing.

I just tend to be easily distracted, even when the subject interests me. Just try to focus really hard.
Quote by Nollemaster
This happens to me all the time. I've even consulted a doctor and he said there was nothing wrong with my hearing.

I just tend to be easily distracted, even when the subject interests me. Just try to focus really hard.

I too get easily distracted. I apparently showed signs of ADD as a child but I've not been diagnosed.

Nice avatar aswell
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Try having more interesting conversations maybe?
Check out my punk band!!! Lizard on the Window We found a drummer and are now recording.

White Version FC: 4083 9268 4644
White 2 FC: 5372 8215 3622
3DS FC: 1676 4085 1677
On a serious note, I have that problem also, Crazyedd. Kaptkegan almost got it right in saying that you need to look at their mouth more, but it's more than just a speech/body language translation issue.

I think your problem (and mine and others') is that you just lose track of their exact sequence of words while thinking about other things (perhaps in your surroundings, perhaps not) - nothing to do with body language or speech or eye contact, just distraction. The trick is to set up mental barriers that keep you in the conversation - an easy way to do it effectively, I've found, is to formulate a whole bunch of potential replies to whatever they're currently saying and picking your favorite reply to say next. But your favorite reply might or might not change as they finish up whatever they're going to say, so you have to be immersed in the conversation at all points to maximize the effect of your reply, so you better be thinking the whole time!
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
The funny thing is that I tend to prefer the instrumental aspects of music regardless of singing.

If there is singing then I rarely actually listen to the lyrics, mostly just the tone or notes themselves.

In conversations I usually look people in the eye. I may have to try looking at their mouths aswell. I'm not too bad with recognising body language, so I rarely need to focus on peoples' bodies.
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Just like we can see our nose at all times, we can hear high pitched frequencies and all sounds at the same time. As we grow older, our brain learns to filter out our nose from our vision and helps us be able to filter out other sounds. Sometimes the filtering doesn't work (Tinnitus, for instance, brings that high pitched frequency to our brain permanently, so it can't be filtered), and this could be from many reasons.

Just try to pay as much attention as you can to whomever you are listening to. Go closer if you have to (not too close otherwise you'll have more problems than your hearing).
ALSO, for me, I've noticed a lack of sleep has made hearing harder to filter. If you have sleeping issues or a bad sleeping schedule, try fixing that. It will regenerate your brain and all bodily functions much more and may help stop this problem.