Im at a stage in my playing where im clueless of what to do and where im going with guitar. Ive been playing 3 years but im nowhere near as good as i should be. Im about intermediate id say. Im looking for songs to learn - metal, hard rock, classic rock, progressive, anything close to these really - in drop d, drop c, drop b, or standard. I like songs with solos that i can work on but nothing jeff loomis (impossible). The hardest songs i can play would be probably 'crazy train' - ozzy, 'love thing' and 'cryin' - joe satriani and most of 'one' - metallica. Also not the usual, tool, ozzy, soad etc. please some suggestions to fit my info. thanks
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
A song you like that you think is too difficult for you to learn. You won't get any better unless you push yourself.
Protest the Hero or BTBAM

Both will really push you.

Protest the Hero usually has a good mixture of fast alternate picking, sweeps, and some tapping sections.

I'll post some good songs to start with if you're interested.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Feb 9, 2012,
Quote by MegadethFan18
A song you like that you think is too difficult for you to learn. You won't get any better unless you push yourself.

This.
When I was younger, I really wanted to play that Living End song *Carry me Home or whatever. I thought "meh, hammer ons and pull offs. easy."
I was new with guitar at the time and struggled a lot with it. I was too stubborn to stop playing. Eventually I learned it within the afternoon and suddenly my hammer ons and pull offs were even better. Only way to learn is to push yourself. No pain no gain.

Edit: messed up the song name
Last edited by Pagan_Poetry at Feb 9, 2012,
Maybe some Sabbath?
Btbam, as stated above. Maybe even some AAL if you can.
We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal;
A generation born to witness
The end of the world

im not a very good shredder, im good at tapping, 3 string sweeps and melodic solos, not really the fast ones that sound like WELLOLEOWELOOLLEOWLEWOLOWE HOLOLOLOLOLWOELEJRWMDFsd
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Quote by leigh596
not really the fast ones that sound like WELLOLEOWELOOLLEOWLEWOLOWE HOLOLOLOLOLWOELEJRWMDFsd

You're either listening to the wrong bands or have hearing problems. If I ever heard a guitar solo like that, I'd cry in a corner.
Quote by leigh596
im not a very good shredder, im good at tapping, 3 string sweeps and melodic solos, not really the fast ones that sound like WELLOLEOWELOOLLEOWLEWOLOWE HOLOLOLOLOLWOELEJRWMDFsd

Well if you don't want to be a shredder don't. I think you learn/develop most of your technique in the first year of playing. I know I did.
Quote by leigh596

hmmm, I understand I'm actually in a pretty similar situation. Stuck in that "not quite at an advanced level."

If you like this, it isn't to hard. Just two quick sweeps in the beginning, and the end is kind of tricky to get used to, but overall it's probably their easiest song to play.
Protest the Hero - Heretics and Killers

This one is a little tougher. There are one or two slightly shreddy parts, but they can easily be avoided if you want to since there are multiple guitar parts to the song.
BTBAM - Prequal to the Sequal

Here are a few more, if you are interested.
Protest the Hero - Bloodmeat

The Fall of Troy - F.C.P.R.E.M.I.X

Mastodon - Colony of Birchmen

Hope this helps.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Feb 9, 2012,
yeah thanks im pretty familiar with all of those songs anyway apart from the first one. I completely forgot about them, thanks bro!
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Quote by leigh596
yeah thanks im pretty familiar with all of those songs anyway apart from the first one. I completely forgot about them, thanks bro!

No problem!
___

Quote by The_Blode
when i say three years, its been 2 years electric playing. ill be able to play altitudes in like 20 years.
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Quote by leigh596
when i say three years, its been 2 years electric playing. ill be able to play altitudes in like 20 years.

I've been playing 7 and can't play altitudes.
For realz though, check out some Led Zeppelin. At 3 years you could easily play some of their hits.
any reccomended songs? i can play parts of stairway, whole lotta love and the full of kashmir
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Quote by leigh596
any reccomended songs? i can play parts of stairway, whole lotta love and the full of kashmir

I learned Black Dog fairly easily. You can play Kashmir? That'll get you some ass.
I hadn't heard of Altitudes until this thread.

HOLY FUCK!
___

Quote by The_Blode
nope, here chicks dig the untalented assholes that do shitty in school, and all dress the same. im semi talented, i do good in school, im nice to girls, and im individual. aint no sensible pussy anymore
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Quote by leigh596
nope, here chicks dig the untalented assholes that do shitty in school, and all dress the same. im semi talented, i do good in school, im nice to girls, and im individual. aint no sensible pussy anymore

You're doomed.
I stopped playing for about a year and a half, decided to pick up my guitar the other day and learn smooth by Santana, was fairly easy but god damn I'm rusty. Could do with some sweet standard tuning songs to get me back in the game. I did once upon a time know bits of Altitudes
PARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTY
yeah i need to learn some santana, smooth and black magic woman have both been on my list for ages
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
tuning?
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Quote by blake1221
Learn this song, because the intro is the shit, and you'll just want to learn more and more of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u9KDMWJsAM&t=33s

hmm, I think I'll be trying that one out. Doesn't sound to tough.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by leigh596

Ah good old Scotland.
Perhaps some Steve Vai also.
We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal;
A generation born to witness
The end of the world

what vai songs? id love to learn some vai, i love him!
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
oh and some more satch!
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Sisters by Vai for something different
WARUM TUT ES WEH, WENN ICH PINKLE?!
Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."

Quote by Axelfox
Disregard that,i suck cocks.
Quote by leigh596
tuning?

Drop C. I play it in Drop D and just tweak the guitar pro.

Quote by WCPhils
hmm, I think I'll be trying that one out. Doesn't sound to tough.

Overall, not terrible, but it definitely has a few parts that need a lot of practice.