Page 1 of 4
Hello,

Currently in the UK cannabis is illegal and possession is a criminal offence. On the 27th of Feb the new Magistrates sentencing guidelines more or less will decriminalize small-time medical and recreational users, although only slightly. If you havent heard about this (which you probably haven't because of it being down-played as much as possible) then check the guidelines here:

http://sentencingcouncil.judiciary.gov.uk/docs/MCSG_Update_6_-_January_2012_%28web%29.pdf ( Scroll down to page/item 239 )

these guidelines finally acknowledge that people who are cannabis users (for whatever reason - medical, recreational, spiritual) or growers for personal use should not be made into criminals! Instead, it should encourage courts to go after actual organised crime that is making profit from this.

I personaly think that a regulated system like medical cannabis in california would be a great system but not JUST medically. But for everyone who obtains permission. This could pump over 6billion pounds into the economy each year (6-9billion estimated on two separate proposals). Also, people could benefit from the medical effects (That is - from things such as MS and Cancers to people with mild depression or stress)

So - My question is, do you think this is a step in the direction? What do you think of the current laws? And what do you think should be done with cannabis in the uk? And what your views on medical cannabis? ALSO... What do you ACTUALLY KNOW?(Not what you think you know...)

Thanks!
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Marijuana should be legal everywhere but it isn't because hungry corporations wouldn't be able to control it. It would sure help the economy, especially if they tax it.

But I don't wanna pay $50 for an eighth of medical, and I don't wanna be prosecuted for buying mersh.

╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by bastards
But I don't wanna pay $50 for an eighth of medical, and I don't wanna be prosecuted for buying mersh.

In the UK atm, 50$ would get roughly 2.1-2.5 for some people.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Marijuana should be legal everywhere but it isn't because hungry corporations wouldn't be able to control it. It would sure help the economy, especially if they tax it.

Yeah, they couldn't be all corporationy and make money.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
ITT: "I wish weed was legal."
IRL: Human greed, selfishness, and quest for power keep the miracle bud a forbidden fruit.

also IRL: waiting for old, idiotic, religious people to die.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I'm already on a two year warning so hell yes it needs reformed. If I get caught again in the next 2 years I get a criminal record and probably a fine. I only had like 0.2*g when I was caught as well.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by highdarren

2.1 grams?

╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by ctfod
Yeah, they couldn't be all corporationy and make money.

Hey, it's the same people that have said drug dealers would increase if pot was legalized, so what do you expect from them?
All drugs should be legal. It is not the governments place to tell anyone what they can do with their own body.

Cannabis is illegal because it being banned helped to support the greedy textile industry in america back in the day.

And we have retards in the government who purposefully ignore science because they, apparently, have barely got the mental capacity to breathe.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Feb 9, 2012,
Quote by bastards
2.1 grams?

Oh yes- It really is that bad. I was paying 20 pounds for 1.4 grams and i was lucky if the skanky bastard actually stuck to his word. I speak to alot of people aroun the country throuh facebook and i was not the only one
Quote by highdarren

A lot of places in California now, $50 gets you 7 grams.

I am sorry for your lots
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Having never smoked weed I can't comment on the effects. However, I fail to see why alcohol is a legal drug when cannabis isn't. I assume, as with anything, the abuse of the substance will lead to problems but that controlled use would be ok.

I think legalization would be a profitable way to help the economy whilst at the same time taking money out of illegal hands.

I like the new sentencing guidelines but then again they do simply reflect what the police are already pretty much doing. I've not seen a single client (criminal law) who has been done for pos. with intent or of class B that hasn't been a too large an amount for recreational use or hasn't had at least 5 plants growing in the house.

Most of the time, if you have a small amount on you, then you will be let off with a caution or a warning.
Last edited by hawk_kst at Feb 9, 2012,
Is a new thread on cannabis law reform needed?

So many similar threads full of people saying the same things.
Pretty small step, but a step nonetheless.
The only downside is a potential drain on my Uni funding... but that's self control oriented.

Also, is it still class B or is it A now? The table below that seems to say class A cases still result in jail time anyway.
Quote by highdarren
Oh yes- It really is that bad. I was paying 20 pounds for 1.4 grams and i was lucky if the skanky bastard actually stuck to his word. I speak to alot of people aroun the country throuh facebook and i was not the only one

Wow man, I'm so sorry

We don't even deal with .1 of a gram, only half a gram. .5 of a gram is $5, 1 gram is $10, 3.5 is $30.. Usually you get more though because dealers just throw a bunch on and if it's like 3.7 they don't even bother to make it perfect, they'll just give you 3.7 for $30.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Prices clearly vary a lot. swim got 20g of top shit for £70 recently.

Quote by highdarren

That's terrible. Around here it's $10=1g and most guyll take off 5 or add 5 as it goes up depending on if it's greenbud or not, and as you buy more it's cheaper. I know for a fact businesses will be making serious cash off that.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
I stopped smoking. I honestly dont see why its illegal. Alcohol is legal and ****s you up way more. Ever drive high? You pay more attention than normal haha
It can be taxed. Government can make bank.
Yeah i wont get my 9g for $50 deal, but hey, at least i dont have to sit in my car in the dark
Quote by Zoot Allures
All drugs should be legal. It is not the governments place to tell anyone what they can do with their own body.

That's not the only issue with drugs. What about the side effects of drug abuse on society?
Quote by Oblivion_Rps

7:00

I thought he was tweaking because his high was wearing off
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by bastards
7:00

I thought he was tweaking because his high was wearing off

Great video, eh?
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
imo, make weed legal and with the same laws as smoking, and our economy will be alot better, and we will all be a little happier.
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Quote by Zoot Allures

I can't be sure, but this could be the first time I've agreed with you...

EDIT - or maybe not... I can't remember.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Last edited by Skynyrd890 at Feb 9, 2012,
Quote by leigh596
and we will all be a little happier.

- Drugs = bad, regardless of anything else.
- God doesn't support drugs. You're going to hell, druggie.
- If you smoke weed, the terrorists win.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Tangerineseeker
That's not the only issue with drugs. What about the side effects of drug abuse on society?

You can't take the rights away from the members of society in order to 'help' society. People should have the right to use drugs if they wish.
personally i think weed would be ruined if it were legalized completely. It would inevitably go the way of tobacco, with more additives and chemicals than the actual plant. 100% legal weed would probably either be grown hastily and shittily so large amounts could be produced cheaply, or be far too strong and expensive (personally i dont like one-hitter-quitters, i enjoy being high and the act of smoking. plus if its too strong its hard to find that sweet spot where you're just high enough). and because legalizing weed would basically take the growing of the plant away from the people and give it to large coorperations (you can still grow your own additive-free tobacco if you want to, but nobody does because it's far easier and cheaper to just buy a pack of cigs) i would forsee things such as carcinogens, tar, and addictive chemicals being added to it in the same way as cigarrettes, negating many of reasons people are fighting for its legalization.

I think possession should be completely decriminalized, while growing be decriminalized to about the point possession is at now. this would effectively make it legal, but keep its production out of the hands of "the man"

EDIT:
Quote by darkstar2466
- Drugs = bad, regardless of anything else.
- God doesn't support drugs. You're going to hell, druggie.
- If you smoke weed, the terrorists win.

it's painful how ignorant you are
[HARLEY-DAVIDSON]

When the world slips you a Jerffrey...

Stroke the furry walls.
stroke the furry walls.
Last edited by velocigecko at Feb 9, 2012,
Quote by Zoot Allures
You can't take the rights away from the members of society in order to 'help' society. People should have the right to use drugs if they wish.

Oh so it's to give people the right to kill each other because they have the right to do that and governments shouldn't "help" people like you said?
Governments restrict people's right all the time to make it possible to live in a relatively peaceful society.
Quote by velocigecko
personally i think weed would be ruined if it were legalized completely. It would inevitably go the way of tobacco, with more additives and chemicals than the actual plant. 100% legal weed would probably either be grown hastily and shittily so large amounts could be produced cheaply, or be far too strong and expensive (personally i dont like one-hitter-quitters, i enjoy being high and the act of smoking. plus if its too strong its hard to find that sweet spot where you're just high enough). and because legalizing weed would basically take the growing of the plant away from the people and give it to large coorperations (you can still grow your own additive-free tobacco if you want to, but nobody does because it's far easier and cheaper to just buy a pack of cigs) i would forsee things such as carcinogens, tar, and addictive chemicals being added to it in the same way as cigarrettes, negating many of reasons people are fighting for its legalization.

I think possession should be completely decriminalized, while growing be decriminalized to about the point possession is at now. this would effectively make it legal, but keep its production out of the hands of "the man"

You've clearly never been to Amsterdam.

Quote by Tangerineseeker
Oh so it's to give people the right to kill each other because they have the right to do that and governments shouldn't "help" people like you said?
Governments restrict people's right all the time to make it possible to live in a relatively peaceful society.

'cept killing people has a rather negative effect on many peoples lives. Cannabis has none, apart from the cost - but then anyone with a brain can mediate that cost, and it's no worse than alcohol or tobacco can be (cost wise, health wise alcohol and tobacco are massively worse for you and others).
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart
'cept killing people has a rather negative effect on many peoples lives. Cannabis has none, apart from the cost - but then anyone with a brain can mediate that cost, and it's no worse than alcohol or tobacco can be (cost wise, health wise alcohol and tobacco are massively worse for you and others).

Right killing people is too extreme compared to marijuana but he said that all drugs should be legal. And other hard drugs such as meth or heroine for sure have very negative impacts on families and other social structures.
Quote by jgbsmith
You've clearly never been to Amsterdam.

i have not. but i would assume amsterdams govornment handles the issue FAR better than the american govornment would. im biased against my country's govornment though
[HARLEY-DAVIDSON]

When the world slips you a Jerffrey...

Stroke the furry walls.
stroke the furry walls.
Last edited by velocigecko at Feb 9, 2012,
Quote by Tangerineseeker
Right killing people is too extreme compared to marijuana but he said that all drugs should be legal. And other hard drugs such as meth or heroine for sure have very negative impacts on families and other social structures.

Alcohol and tobacco have very negative impacts on families and other social structures (alcohol being almost more dangerous to bystanders than it is to the user), and yet are entirely legal.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by byob_soad2
Is a new thread on cannabis law reform needed?

So many similar threads full of people saying the same things.

There aren't many original threads on a board this old.

And yes, we need to reform drug laws. There is, I think, a growing level of support for it though. I think there's a starting to be a proper recognition of the alternatives in the mainstream media. But that might just be wishful thinking.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Tangerineseeker

Obviously not killing people -_-', i said the right to do what they want with their own bodies. The law should be in place to protect people from each other, not to protect people from themselves if they choose to take drugs.
Quote by Todd Hart
Alcohol and tobacco have very negative impacts on families and other social structures (alcohol being almost more dangerous to bystanders than it is to the user), and yet are entirely legal.

Right and this can be seen as an example how legalized drugs that are harmful, not only hurt the users but also people around them.
So when he said that drugs should be legal because it only affects the consumer, it is wrong as it affects innocent people as well.
Quote by jgbsmith
I'm already on a two year warning so hell yes it needs reformed. If I get caught again in the next 2 years I get a criminal record and probably a fine. I only had like 0.2*g when I was caught as well.

That's like...no weed.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by Zoot Allures
Obviously not killing people -_-', i said the right to do what they want with their own bodies. The law should be in place to protect people from each other, not to protect people from themselves if they choose to take drugs.

Ok, I agree that people should have the right to do with their body what they want until the point where they start hurting people around them. In the case of marijuana I think this is not the case but with harder drugs this is the case. And in those cases I think it's right to let the government intervene and protect people from getting passively hurt.
Quote by highdarren
decriminalize small-time medical and recreational users

Quote by highdarren
medical and recreational users

Quote by highdarren
medical users

This is the best joke that the potheads always put forwards.

All I see in these ridiculous threads are a bunch of stoners saying: "I love weed and it makes me feel good and I'll never be addicted to it ever I promise so Y U IDIOTS ALWAYS TRYING TO BAN IT!?!?"

Ashley
Page 1 of 4