Hi UG, this maybe a noob question but I'm
a beginner (6months) and I'm having a problem with keeping my squier strat in tune.

I usually go down the strings one by one from the top to bottom and in the short time it takes to tune them, I'll check again and not even a minute later, they will have gone flat or sharp. My friend says to take it to a shop and have them see what that can do, but I have no money so that's out of the question.

Its becoming pain, since I practice on it still and but nothing sounds good. The only other guitar I have is a lousy first act electric my dad bought from walmart, and I never wanna go back to that thing if I can help it. Is there anything I can do myself to fix this?
is the bridge floating? like, is there a distance from end of the bridge to the body? can you pull the tremolo backward? if yes, and you don't want it (that causes tuning issue for tuning up), add a spring in cavity or tighten the screw in the cavity.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Quote by omidmash
is the bridge floating? like, is there a distance from end of the bridge to the body? can you pull the tremolo backward? if yes, and you don't want it (that causes tuning issue for tuning up), add a spring in cavity or tighten the screw in the cavity.

Yeah, it was actually kind of high when I got it, I lowered it some trying to follow a YouTube video. There bar is gone though, who ever owned it first took it off. I'll tighten it some more though it hasn't worked I first did it. I haven't tried new springs yet. I'll give that a shot. Thanks a million
Tighten the 2 screws on the trem claw. The piece opposite the bridge, that the springs hook onto. this will put more tension on the springs.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Is it a problem with the tremolo, or is it the intonation problem?
If you do not use the tremolo much, or if you actually hate it, there is a way to hardtail it and expedite the guitar's tuning stability. If the guitar goes out of tune after tuning, and if it's not the intonation issue, check to see if the guitar machine heads are loose. If they are, you need to get them tightened, or if the loosened heads cannot be tightened, you need them replaced. Also, check your tuning technique. I myself trust tuners because tuning by ear tends to be very inaccurate IMO, and you can lose the guitar's tonal qualities of being 'in tune' if you use the 5th fret tuning technique.
If I were you, I'd find a way to hardtail the bridge, and then get the guitar fixed with new lockdown machine heads and invest more money on getting a tuner for the guitar.
Please reply if the solutions above don't work. Hope this helps!
do you just tune it once, because sometimes once you tune, you have to re-tune because the string tension causes the trem to pull up a bit and pull your tuning out of whack
Yep, add a string and you are fine.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Quote by parhelia_0000
Is it a problem with the tremolo, or is it the intonation problem?
If you do not use the tremolo much, or if you actually hate it, there is a way to hardtail it and expedite the guitar's tuning stability. If the guitar goes out of tune after tuning, and if it's not the intonation issue, check to see if the guitar machine heads are loose. If they are, you need to get them tightened, or if the loosened heads cannot be tightened, you need them replaced. Also, check your tuning technique. I myself trust tuners because tuning by ear tends to be very inaccurate IMO, and you can lose the guitar's tonal qualities of being 'in tune' if you use the 5th fret tuning technique.
If I were you, I'd find a way to hardtail the bridge, and then get the guitar fixed with new lockdown machine heads and invest more money on getting a tuner for the guitar.
Please reply if the solutions above don't work. Hope this helps!

It could be both, I wouldn't know how to tell since I'm not very experienced yet. Though I believe it could because I had to describe the state the guitar itself, I've only had for about a week from the pawn shop I bought it in. It looked fairly neglected and dusty, but seems to be in good shape, though all I've done was clean it and replace the strings on it. But there could be some setup needed that I don't know about, since I don't know how long it's actually sat in that shop.

The tuning machines seem okay, and actually tighter since I lowered the bridge (which didn't help the situation any). I use an electronic tuner since my ear is too developed yet. It's like once a string is set, it'll start to go flat or sharp on it's own a few seconds later. What is hardtailing the bridge?
Quote by Viban
do you just tune it once, because sometimes once you tune, you have to re-tune because the string tension causes the trem to pull up a bit and pull your tuning out of whack

I never thought of that. I'm use to only having to tune once, but that was on my old guitar, but I'll give that a shot. Thanks man
Quote by grungeKid09
It could be both, I wouldn't know how to tell since I'm not very experienced yet. Though I believe it could because I had to describe the state the guitar itself, I've only had for about a week from the pawn shop I bought it in. It looked fairly neglected and dusty, but seems to be in good shape, though all I've done was clean it and replace the strings on it. But there could be some setup needed that I don't know about, since I don't know how long it's actually sat in that shop.

The tuning machines seem okay, and actually tighter since I lowered the bridge (which didn't help the situation any). I use an electronic tuner since my ear is too developed yet. It's like once a string is set, it'll start to go flat or sharp on it's own a few seconds later. What is hardtailing the bridge?

Hardtailing a bridge means to block a tremolo so that it does not move, or only moves in one direction only. This expedites the guitar's tuning stability, and helps guitar strings bend without going out of tune.
Also, when you change the strings, did you stretch them before you played on it? There are setup techniques that could be used for guitars, which you can find instructions online. By the way, I wouldn't trust pawn shops that much because guitars sold in there have a significant chance of having poor quality control.
If you tuning machines are okay, then it's the bridge problem. As I recommended you before, block the tremolo so that its movement is kept to a minimum. Here's how to do it:
1. Remove all strings and the whammy bar on the bridge prior to setup.
2. Remove the back cavity which covers the springs that control the tremolo.
3. Measure the volume of the deep cavity that is the spacing between the string holder and the nearest bottom end of the cavity.
4. Get a saw (be careful when using it!) and cut a piece of wood, which is slightly smaller than the volume of the cavity you measured before.
5. Before you put in the piece of wood, make sure you use a screwdriver to slacken the tremolo springs. This will make the tremolo too wobbly to move.
6. Insert the piece of wood you just cut out into the deep cavity I mentioned before.
7. Reinstall the cavity cover, and restring/setup the new strings altogether. Be prepared to re-adjust the guitar's setup in case.
There are tutorials you can get to improve your guitar's tuning stability. Other ways you can use are:
Using locking machine heads.
Making sure the intonation and string height are correctly adjusted.
Stretching the strings until they fully stay in tune with extremity bends in the long-term.
And so on.
Hope this helps,
parhelia_0000
Last edited by parhelia_0000 at Feb 10, 2012,
on any floating trem it is a good idea to cross tune. 6 to 1 to5 to 2 to 3 to 4. when i put new strings on i grab the middle of the string and pull on it and kind of jerk it back a couple of times and do that to all strings (be sensible don't try to be king kong and the golden gate bridge) and tune up and do it again. then cross tune and you are good.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/