http://www.un.org/en/decolonization/

In a vast political reshaping of the world, more than 80 former colonies comprising some 750 million people have gained independence since the creation of the United Nations. At present, 16 Non-Self-Governing Territories (NSGTs) across the globe remain to be decolonized, home to nearly 2 million people. Thus, the process of decolonization is not complete. Finishing the job will require a continuing dialogue among the administering Powers, the Special Committee on Decolonization, and the peoples of the territories, in accordance with the relevant UN resolutions on decolonization.

Argentina don't want the British in the Falkland Islands... So they claim it as their own.
Gibraltar too, Spain doesn't want the British there niether, or something.
Last edited by treborillusion at Feb 9, 2012,
Argentina doesn't have enough firepower to face the likes of Britain in battle - the British are going to be celebrating the 30th anniversary for the Falklands by sending a destroyer there...

Decolonization is a very very slow process, and you never go back to normal.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Puppet governments ftw!
Quote by element4433
Be subtle with it. Don't like molest him.

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.
Argentina doesn't want the Falklands to be independent, it wants them to be Argentine. The Falklanders would prefer to stay British IIRC. That makes Argentina's opinions irrelevant.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
I don't see the problem if the "colonized" people want to stay with their "colonial" country. I am pretty sure the inhabitants of Guam, Puerto Rico and Gibraltar would like to stay american/british.
BRITS OUT!

UP THE IRA!

TIOCFAIDH AR LÁ!

❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

It's well known that the Falklanders want to stay British, so Argentina is actually the colonial one here.

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
Same with Gibraltar, last time they voted 98% wanted to remain British or something like that.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Does it matter?

At this rate, all small countries with different coloured skin will be American soon...
Quote by treborillusion
Doesn't Scotland want to be their own country? :P

Nah, too many people watched Braveheart and had a wet dream over independence.
Quote by a_7_x

Ah, I see. That's cool.
Quote by a_7_x

There seriously needs to be a history textbook paired with the viewing of that movie.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by a_7_x

That's a bit of a narrow-minded approach to independence.

Braveheart was released in 1995, we've only just elected a Nationalist party

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
Quote by EMGs_rule
That's a bit of a narrow-minded approach to independence.

Braveheart was released in 1995, we've only just elected a Nationalist party

I know, I know. I was downplaying the argument a little. But in Glasgow, there generally seems to be a very ignorant perception of independence in my generation (and sadly, it can be found in older generations too).

I know there is legitimate arguments for it :p
Quote by a_7_x
I know, I know. I was downplaying the argument a little. But in Glasgow, there generally seems to be a very ignorant perception of independence in my generation (and sadly, it can be found in older generations too).

I know there is legitimate arguments for it :p

I'm saving my independence arguments for actual debates lol

There's definitely people making a choice with no evidence. Everyone should look at the facts and make an educated decision instead of just thinking FREEEEDOOOOMMMM!

ps. I'm for independence and not having a go at anyone

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]