Hello, new to site.

I've been playing guitar on and off for about two years now. It's soloing which made me want to pick it up (and keeps me coming back to it.) The majority of my playing has consisted of accompanying backing tracks. I learn songs/chords cause I know I should, but all I really want to do is improvise. I play mostly blues, and love blues solos, particularly slow, powerful 12/8 songs ala Buddy Guy, Bonamassa, Vaughan, Gary Moore, Clapton and even Gilmour. As I've progressed I've noticed that on few occasions I really "feel" it and most of the time I don't. That's the only way I know how to explain it. Whatever it is I'll seemingly tap into it and my whole body feels every note. I'll notice myself squeezing the guitar hard and convulsing my body and making crazy involuntary gestures. Its one of the greatest feelings I've felt, and this is what I go for every time I pick it up.

The times I don't feel it however (which is most of the time) I find myself doing whatever I can to feel it but just can't seem to get it. And I know when I'm on and when I'm not. I know I've only been playing for two years, but again, this is the primary reason I play.

My question is how can I tap into that all the time?? Is it even possible? My guitar heroes are seemingly "feeling it" every time they solo. Is it possible for me too? I know this question is a little abstract but it really pisses me off when I pick it up and can't get to that place I want to be in. Any advice/tips/criticism/comments????
a bit of an unorthodox analogy, but: if you were to get a hooker, and she was any good, she'd have a dramatic orgasm to stroke your ego. she does this hundreds of times a year and has to be convincing in this skill to make a living...it's safe to say she's probably faking it.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
when clapton plays layla and his face creases in pain and he's screaming in passion for that bend he's hitting...yeah, he's probably faking it. similar to how steve vai does his rock god look - it's an image thing.

it's just impossible to assume you're going to have this ethereal wonder hit you every time you play guitar.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Well, first of all, don't get pissed when you can't find it. That's going to cut it off until you're not pissed off.

Second, start trying to listen to that inner voice before playing a note. If you have an inner flow to tap into and you just play the first note your fingers land on, you might well be playing the "wrong note" for tapping into that zone.

Third, look for patterns. Do you just play better on this guitar or that one? Late at night or early morning? I play better when I'm a bit hungry.

I think your question is totally valid and it's one worth asking.
Thanks for response.

Hail, I would totally agree with you as that makes the most sense. However, I have gotten into that zone where I feel it at my core and make all sorts of weird faces and movements, and its NOT an image thing and I don't do it on purpose. Its almost as if I don't know how NOT to. But again, that happens rarely.
Quote by wired2max
My question is how can I tap into that all the time?? Is it even possible? My guitar heroes are seemingly "feeling it" every time they solo. Is it possible for me too? I know this question is a little abstract but it really pisses me off when I pick it up and can't get to that place I want to be in. Any advice/tips/criticism/comments????

Get a girl, break up with her, then write a song.
I believe what you're looking for is an adrenaline rush. They can happen quite naturally when playing guitar, when everything just seems like it's working and you just sink into the music.

But it's not something you can force, it's just something that happens sometimes. I think last year it only happened with me (on stage) 2 or 3 times, and that's not that much when you consider how many gigs I played.

I'd just stop worrying about getting off and just making yourself a better guitar player instead.

And no, your favourite guitar players aren't feeling it every time either.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by mdc
Get a girl, break up with her, then write a song.

Shouldn't she leave you and run off with your best friend??