Page 1 of 2
I need to get a new amp and I love the sound of the Dark Terror but the only thing that worries me is the wattage since it's only 15 watts. Do you think it's loud enough to gig with without be put through a PA? And if it is loud enough to gig with, what size venues could it handle?

Thanks
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
easily
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Would it need a 4x12 to be heard better? Sorry to sound noobish, I'm not good with amps haha.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Easily.

Let me sell you one.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tokai09
Would it need a 4x12 to be heard better? Sorry to sound noobish, I'm not good with amps haha.

No, a 2x12 would be more practical and work perfectly fine.
Quote by Tom 1.0
Easily.

Let me sell you one.

How much are you selling one for?

Quote by Charley2715
No, a 2x12 would be more practical and work perfectly fine.

Sweet. Any recommendations? I was looking at the Fender Bandmaster VM, love the look of Fender cabs but no where near me stocks them.

Quote by Tokai09
Sweet. Any recommendations? I was looking at the Fender Bandmaster VM, love the look of Fender cabs but no where near me stocks them.

Where are you? At least country wise. I use an Avatar 2x12 with a Celestion V30 and G12H30 and it sounds fantastic with my tiny terror. I have no idea about the speakers in the fender cab. Though Fender is usually pretty reliable about quality.
I'm in Dorset. I think the closest place that sells them is Nevada in Portsmouth but that's a 2 hour drive.

It has Celestion G12P-80's in them.

Hmm. I won't be much help being here in America; however, a couple of suggestions. First, if you're dead set on the fender style cab, you could try to find an online company that sells this. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-super-sonic-60-60w-2x12-guitar-speaker-cabinet. The V30s will sound great.
Also just like here in America, I'm sure there are numerous custom cab builders that will build a nice sounding and looking cab at a great price, you just have to find them.

The G12P-80s are probably fine, but its generally safer to go with their more well known models.
Last edited by Charley2715 at Feb 9, 2012,
Sweet, cheers for that. So, what size venue can the Dark Terror pull off?

I'd say it will easily pull off any small to medium venues. Plus once you hit the nicer and bigger venues, you'll probably be miking up into their PA anyway.
Quote by Tokai09
Sweet, cheers for that. So, what size venue can the Dark Terror pull off?

If you're getting miked, Madison Square Garden.

"Gigging volume" starts to mean nothing if your amp is miked and you have good monitors. The lead singer of one of my bands played a medium to large sized theater with an Orange Crush SS practice amp.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by souperman08
If you're getting miked, Madison Square Garden.

"Gigging volume" starts to mean nothing if your amp is miked and you have good monitors. The lead singer of one of my bands played a medium to large sized theater with an Orange Crush SS practice amp.

We don't put anything through the PA apart from vox.

Quote by Tokai09

Ah, sorry, I mis-read your OP. If thats the case, then there are a ton of factors (how loud your drummer plays, what kind of amps your bandmates are using, size of venue, etc). 15 watts would be pretty safe for most venues though, IMO.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by souperman08
Ah, sorry, I mis-read your OP. If thats the case, then there are a ton of factors (how loud your drummer plays, what kind of amps your bandmates are using, size of venue, etc). 15 watts would be pretty safe for most venues though, IMO.

Haha, no worries. Our drummers is quite loud, he likes his double bass.

Quote by Tokai09

It may be an idea to mic everything up - even only a little in order to get a good mix FOH.
Doesn't matter whether it's Kitty, Daisy & Lewis playing a small festival tent, Cavalera Conspiracy playing a club gig or Foo Fighters playing a stadium shit's always mic'd.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by Slap-happy
It may be an idea to mic everything up - even only a little in order to get a good mix FOH.
Doesn't matter whether it's Kitty, Daisy & Lewis playing a small festival tent, Cavalera Conspiracy playing a club gig or Foo Fighters playing a stadium shit's always mic'd.

Yee, I know stadium, arena and large gigs are always mic'd but I'm just talking about small to medium venues for a cover band.

Quote by Tokai09
Yee, I know stadium, arena and large gigs are always mic'd but I'm just talking about small to medium venues for a cover band.

That doesn't matter, what matters is how loud your drummer is. If he's very loud then don't expect much in the way of cleans. If cleans don't matter to you then it will be fine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
That doesn't matter, what matters is how loud your drummer is. If he's very loud then don't expect much in the way of cleans. If cleans don't matter to you then it will be fine.

+1

I don't know what the people saying 'easily' are smoking but they're wrong. It can do it, but not easily and not cleanly.

Quote by Tom 1.0
Easily.

Let me sell you one.

A little behind on your numbers this month?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Feb 10, 2012,
Not at all, I can just do people a mental deal on the TT stuff this month.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I'd make sure its what he wants/needs. This thread, up until Cath's post, is very misleading and IMO just plain wrong. I think you know that. Making a sale based on that would be in bad taste, IMO.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Personally I would say that a Dark Terror would be fine, having played one they are far louder than 15 watts suggest and given how I have never played a gig that didnt involve mic'ing up I just presumed most people did.

I never "just" sell somebody something for the sake of it, I always actually talk to them over the phone and have a chat to see if I can find them something better suited, even if that means they spend less.

I'm not that evil

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Personally I would say that a Dark Terror would be fine, having played one they are far louder than 15 watts suggest and given how I have never played a gig that didnt involve mic'ing up I just presumed most people did.

I never "just" sell somebody something for the sake of it, I always actually talk to them over the phone and have a chat to see if I can find them something better suited, even if that means they spend less.

I'm not that evil

The only 15 watter I've played is my BJr and its not adequate. I assumed the DT would be about the same. The OP says without a PA...

Didn't think so, just checking.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Feb 10, 2012,
Edited... I think you missed something big.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!

Well then TS.

You got a problem.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Ok, glad I'm not crazy... That's why I was so confused.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I would rather have wattage to spare just in case I got into a situation to where I would need it. What attracts you to the dark terror?
I don't really mind with the head room on cleans. I just love the tone of the Terror series and how easy they are to move about haha.

the only issue you will have with a 15 watt amp is clean headroom and possibly sound dispersion. plenty of people gig with 30 watt amps like vox ac30's. 30 watts would be about 3 more decibels than a 15 watter. (depending on the amp and speaker setup of course) if your playing unmic'ed tho, i would probably go for a 4x12 slanted cab or a vertical 2x12 (mesa used to make one, its like a 4x12 cut in half vertically, top angled) for better projection.
Quote by SGRocker400
the only issue you will have with a 15 watt amp is clean headroom and possibly sound dispersion. plenty of people gig with 30 watt amps like vox ac30's. 30 watts would be about 3 more decibels than a 15 watter. (depending on the amp and speaker setup of course) if your playing unmic'ed tho, i would probably go for a 4x12 slanted cab or a vertical 2x12 (mesa used to make one, its like a 4x12 cut in half vertically, top angled) for better projection.

My amp at the moment is a Marshall DSL401 which is 40 watts and I've never had to to bring it past 12 o'clock when playing un-mic'd.

I don't really mind about head room on the cleans

Quote by Tokai09
My amp at the moment is a Marshall DSL401 which is 40 watts and I've never had to to bring it past 12 o'clock when playing un-mic'd.

I don't really mind about head room on the cleans

saw your post right after i posted
I've got the Tiny Terror (also 15 watts) and I've played medium sized bars/venues with it, unmic'ed. I did it with a 4x12, and my drummer played RIDICULOUSLY loud. (Loud enough to get booted from the band) It really is all about how much you'll be using cleans, especially with this amp. If you're buying the Dark though, I would presume you don't need that much clean tone.

Always the option of the 2x12, turned on its side to help with monitoring.

Honestly you should think about the option of mic'ing or DI'ing everything. That's what we ended up doing with my cover band, and it helped immensely. It helps keep your stage volume down (reducing feedback) and allows for a much more balanced sound for your audience and your sound guy to work with. Just a thought.
Guitars:
Epi Les Paul Custom Blackback
Gibson SG Classic w/ P90s
Epi Les Paul Ultra I
Squier Tele Black & Chrome
Taylor 210e

Amps:
Marshall JVM210H
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1969 Lead cab
Orange PPC 2x12 cab
The only reason we don't put stuff through the pa is because the guy who lends it to us only wants vocals through it. I can understand why he wouldn't want drums through it but I don't understand why he wont allow guitars.

Last edited by Tokai09 at Feb 10, 2012,
Quote by Tokai09
The only reason we don't put stuff through the pa is because the guy who lends it to us only wants vocals through it. I can understand why he wouldn't want drums through it but I don't understand why he wont allow guitars.

I guess he's a douche.

The DSL401 is a friggin loud amp. You won't get that sort of performance out of a DT.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I guess he's a douche.

The DSL401 is a friggin loud amp. You won't get that sort of performance out of a DT.

Hahaha, nah he's alright. Probably doesn't know that much about PA's though. Yeah it is loud, I just don't like it any more.

What tubes are you running in it? Maybe we can sort it out so you'll like it again.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification