So here's the deal.

I have got a home studio and for years i've been playing piano/synthesizer and for about a year i decided to learn guitar with the main goal to do songwriting on guitar. Now i first decided to learn songs, well... after like 5 songs i started to see the general idea and after 7 songs i kinda seen them all. So i thought i should not learn songs, i should learn ideas... so i guess learning licks would be the next step.

Now the thing with licks is, when i learn 1 lick and jam around with it etc, by the fifth lick i forgot the first 4 and so on. So i have the feeling i aint learning much.

So now my question to you guys is, to learn ideas, and to basically do the things i'm able to do on the piano, where should i go, what should i read, should i continue learning songs or licks or should i take a different path.
After 7 songs you've seen them all? I'd like to see a list of songs which would cover "everything".

As for your other issues:

To stop forgetting those licks use your home studio to record each one.

Learn music theory to examine those 7 songs you know to apply to your own songwriting.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
After 7 songs you've seen them all? I'd like to see a list of songs which would cover "everything".

As for your other issues:

To stop forgetting those licks use your home studio to record each one.

Learn music theory to examine those 7 songs you know to apply to your own songwriting.

Well,, for my kinda playing and the style i'm after i guess learning those songs would cover it pretty much and from then i started to see the same stuff occuring everywhere in a pretty much similar way or form. And that comes from theory i supposse, at a point i just knew,, yeah and now the song goes there, and yes it did. So from there i kinda thought lets learn ideas, but the average rock/blues/soul song basically seems to do the very same thing.

I've been in music conservatory for about 7 years doing my master and pre-master there, so i have my theory down. Not sure if you have a thing like a master degree out there but well...
Quote by ridicilus
Well,, for my kinda playing and the style i'm after i guess learning those songs would cover it pretty much and from then i started to see the same stuff occuring everywhere in a pretty much similar way or form. And that comes from theory i supposse, at a point i just knew,, yeah and now the song goes there, and yes it did. So from there i kinda thought lets learn ideas, but the average rock/blues/soul song basically seems to do the very same thing. I've been in music conservatory for about 7 years doing my master and pre-master there, so i have my theory down.

What sort of conservatory leaves you knowing only 7 songs?

Wait I get it now. One song per year.

Quote by ridicilus
Not sure if you have a thing like a master degree out there but well...

Huh? What's a Master degree? Is that like a pen license?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud