I've noticed recently that I'll play entire progressions on the E, even when they'd be much easier to play if I transposed some of it up to the higher strings. I just really love the sound and feel of the low E. Does anybody else do anything like this?
When writing I tend to be in the Bernard Edwards camp of hitting the E and the A up to the 7th fret for the majority of the bassline, but when a spot needs that emphasis I never look back from the old flashy 15th fret slide or cutting into the octaves and moving my little box around, because I think my favorite part is just dropping a musical surprise into the bassline- there has to be a normal for it to stand out, right?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I love the open E, and my riffs always seem to start on the A string. Must be all the Maiden.
Smoke 'em 'til ya die.
I have to admit, I do love the A string (well in my case it's usually an F# string). I really don't know why.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
I have to admit, I do love the A string (well in my case it's usually an F# string). I really don't know why.

that's why. such a great note.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
When I write stuff it is mainly on the A and D strings actually. If I fell a little ballsy, I might even through in some stuff on the G.
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
When I solo, I tend to sit on the G quite a bit. Its a fall over from playing upright where unless you have the hand strength of god, its difficult to play on the upper neck on the E and A string.
Nope, I give 6 of my strings the same lovin.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
I prefer the G and D on my double bass.

I do use the low E a lot though on my elec just for some heavy riffin. I dont ever drop tune so its about as heavy as I'd need. I do use a lot of riffs that cover all strings though.
Sometimes I find myself hovering on the A a bit, but I like to think that for the most part I've trained myself not to favor any one string significantly more.

Lately the E has gotten a lot of attention, but that's mostly the novelty of the Hipshot.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I'm an A and D string man...tho you can't beat some heavy E string thumpin and G string poppin...hells I just love the whole thing
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by King Of Suede
Nope, I give 6 of my strings the same lovin.

Same here... just on 4... I'm not cool enough to love 6 strings.
Trying to find the time to go from a guitar owner back to being a guitar player after 9 years, 1 wife, and 3 kids. Have to wear guitar headphones so I don't wake the kids. Being an adult is fun, huh?