ok, so this laptop im on (my brothers) had a virus... I used system restore to brin it back to and earlier date so i could remove what was left of the virus...

I go to open AVG and nothing happens. all the .exe extentions are in the correct place, the target folder is correct and all, it just wont open.. im currently scanning using Malwarebytes, but I still need AVG open... help?

thanks,

-John
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
I knew it would be a bad idea coming to the pit for help..

and no, im not ranting about my father on facebook..
Quote by element4433

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Ok ok, open task manager and take a look at the processes tab. If any of the AVG processes are running but the application window is still nonexistent then end the process tree of the main AVG process. Once you've done this try opening AVG again and see if it opens.
The virus might have infected AVG. You could try uninstalling it and reinstalling it, or scan with Microsoft Security Essentials and see if that does anything.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Depending on the virus, it may be preventing your virus program from opening. Use F8 during startup to boot into safe mode, then try opening it again.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
thanks for the answers guys!

time to try some of these out...
Quote by element4433

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Also keep in mind that restoring back to a previous date doesn't always kill it, when you got the virus and when it activates can be 2 very different times so you in some cases have to go back several months to a year to get ride of it.

Booting in safe mode won't help you any if the virus modified any of your registry's or drivers and hid itself there. Safe mode is more hardware/software diagnosis then virus removal, not saying it's useless it's just very situational.

It's also very easy for viruses to modify .dll files, so it's a better idea to just uninstall AVG and download it again.

We could help you out more if you happen to know the name of the virus, practically all Security centers offer databases for public viewing for information on malware so checking it out online is never a bad idea.

P.S a good set of tools to have with any computer/laptop is Sysinternals, contains a bunch of programs and will give you more options to work with.