I recently had a guitar lesson with a teacher (I'm mostly self-taught) and he said that my arm and wrist angle are wrong.

After watching some videos online of very good guitarists I can see what he means. Alot of famous guitarists tend to have their arm and wrist at a 45-50 degree angle whereas I tend to have mine at a 35-40 degree angle.

What he also pointed out is that my palm muting technique is 'wrong'. Whereas most guitarists tend to use their actual palm (I'd consider this area to be the muscular part that operates the pinky), I use part of my wrist.

I've been able to get by with this technique and I've gotten pretty used to playing and PMing with my arm and wrist at this angle. I don't actually practice alot (although I've recently been pushing myself much more), so I wonder if I'm not as good as I should be because of lack of practice or this supposedly bad habit I've developed.
I'm also a lefty-playing-righty if that may be some kind of factor (I've noticed Robert Fripp, who's also a LPR tends to have his arm in this kind of position).

Should I try and change this style of playing? Or are there other amazing guitarists that have their arm angled in such a way, yet they still manage to play with amazing speed and accuracy?
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Quote by Crazyedd123
I recently had a guitar lesson with a teacher (I'm mostly self-taught) and he said that my arm and wrist angle are wrong.

After watching some videos online of very good guitarists I can see what he means. Alot of famous guitarists tend to have their arm and wrist at a 45-50 degree angle whereas I tend to have mine at a 35-40 degree angle.

What he also pointed out is that my palm muting technique is 'wrong'. Whereas most guitarists tend to use their actual palm (I'd consider this area to be the muscular part that operates the pinky), I use part of my wrist.

I've been able to get by with this technique and I've gotten pretty used to playing and PMing with my arm and wrist at this angle. I don't actually practice alot (although I've recently been pushing myself much more), so I wonder if I'm not as good as I should be because of lack of practice or this supposedly bad habit I've developed.
I'm also a lefty-playing-righty if that may be some kind of factor (I've noticed Robert Fripp, who's also a LPR tends to have his arm in this kind of position).

Should I try and change this style of playing? Or are there other amazing guitarists that have their arm angled in such a way, yet they still manage to play with amazing speed and accuracy?

Marty Friedman. Didn't stop him in Megadeth. Didn't stop him solo career. One of the greatest guitarists ever.
In the eye of the tornado , blow me away!