hey guys.. i need some help in fixing the feedback ive been getting from my amp. ive been jamming a lot lately with my older brother on the drums. and whenever i turn my amp up to get over his drums, i get a lot of feedback. but its only when i stop playing. i have a Peavey Vypyr 75w. and i was just wondering if it would be my amp or even guitar causing the problem.

thanks
turn the pregain down, do not face the amp, stand away from it a decent distance, turn the pregain down.. =)

EDIT: Also, get the amp off the floor and onto a stand like a milk crate so the speaker is more pointed at you. That way it doesnt have to be turned up as loud to be able to hear it..
thanks i tried turning the pregain down.. it did get rid of the feedback, but it lost a bit of distortion D':
the other points in that recomendation will also help. make sure the power sponge is set to 100% and personally i like the post gain all the way up too. Just put some distance between you and the amp and get it up on a stand and you should be good to go. =)
You can get in the habit of holding the strings still when not playing. Or turn down the volume knob on the guitar if it's microphonic feedback from the pickups instead of string feedback.

Judicious use of feedback with a little control can sound really cool. \m/
ISP Decimater or similar gate will solve it if you prefer keeping the gain up.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Personally, I got patches with the compression optimized to maximize feedback. Also my favorite stage guitar has a somewhat microphonic pup. It used to throw me off a bit, but it didn't take long to wrestle it under control. Kinda like training a dog; just gotta show it who's boss.
The long time honoured technique is to turn down the volume on your guitar as soon as you stop playing. You think Hendrix didn't have trouble with feedback standing in front of all those amps?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Took me a long time to figure out to just turn the volume on the guitar down a little to kill the feedback i was having...
I know it sucks to spend a lot of money on cables, but higher quality does make a world of difference. You'd be surprised how much tone is lost with cheaper quality. Shielded cables are better.

Standing too close to the amp will do it as well. With some guitars you have to learn what angles to stand at and become aware of how the guitar will react. Sometimes learning your angles and keeping the feedback instead of killing it altogether can be used to your advantage.

The rest of the advice here is good..no need to repeat it.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Feb 10, 2012,
Quote by Cathbard
The long time honoured technique is to turn down the volume on your guitar as soon as you stop playing. You think Hendrix didn't have trouble with feedback standing in front of all those amps?

LOL. Really.

Funny you mention Hendrix, though. This morning I was flipping through the radio dial on the way into work and the station that plays stuff no one's heard of plays this Hendrix song I've never heard with all sorts of feedback creeping in between notes like his Strat is a mutineer or something.