Well I'm eighteen and through years of clever Craigslist peddling and get-rich-quick schemes, I've finally raised enough money to buy a car ($1800, not great but I think I should be able to afford something that runs). I've been hounding craigslist for the past 4-5 months but haven't really had any luck finding something that is reliable and big enough to fit an upright bass, amp, and bass guitar in.

I've mostly been looking at station wagons and minivans. One van I really like the look of is the Ford Aerostar. They tend to fall in my price range and are less "minivan-y" than other minivans. The only thing that kinda puzzles me is that I can't really find out just WHY they're so much cheaper than other mid-90s minivans. KBB price for a 1995 Aerostar w/ 90k miles is $1400 compared to a Windstar of the same year which is $1700 and a Dodge Caravan which is $1800 (come to really look at the numbers that actually isn't much of a difference but hey). I really like the look of Aerostar and they seem to have much better reliability ratings compared to the more conventional minivans but I don't really know enough about cars to say.

So I guess my main questions would be as follows: Would I be screwed going with an Aerostar? if so, what other cars could I afford that would be a good choice for my needs (mainly hauling music gear)? How did you go about buying your first car?

Thanks in advance!
What you need is an BMW M5
I smoke like Rasta, got hair like pasta
I be sippin' on them shots then bustin' rhymes like Busta

Load up the bong, crank up the song, let the informa call 911
what you really need is the car thread.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by CurbstompBass
through years of clever Craigslist peddling and get-rich-quick schemes

Ah, so you really know how to play those suckers on Craigslist, huh?

Quote by CurbstompBass
I've been hounding craigslist for the past 4-5 months

Oh...
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by SLEESTAK_BRO
'95 Blazer with a cassette player. Most metal car ever.

False

Quote by vanhailin
What you need is an BMW M5

That might cost $1,850 or more.

And TS would need a $2,000 trailer to carry the gear.

I started working at 14 to buy my first car a couple of months before I turned 16(longest 2 months of my life).

Got a Fox-body Mustang 'cause it had lots of potential for modifications to make it competitve in Autocross and Drag Racing.

That's also why I waited another 18 years before picking up a guitar...

@horsedick.mpeg, LOL! That would match a certain Squier model, are those available in basses too?
Don't bother, seriously. $1800 won't keep you going for a month.

My car has done nothing but burn a massive hole through my pocket, through both my legs and through my other pocket.
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

I searched "car" and didn't see a thread, sorry. Found it now though.

And I've had a few friends buy vehicles for barely more than $1000 and they're lasted them a couple years. I know anecdotal evidence isn't exactly the best, but most people have told me that $1800 should be enough for a vehicle that will at least get me from A to B consistently.
Quote by CurbstompBass
I searched "car" and didn't see a thread, sorry. Found it now though.

And I've had a few friends buy vehicles for barely more than $1000 and they're lasted them a couple years. I know anecdotal evidence isn't exactly the best, but most people have told me that $1800 should be enough for a vehicle that will at least get me from A to B consistently.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=938545
Seriously. It's literally on the front page of the Pit.

Quote by moscaespañol
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=938545
Seriously. It's literally on the front page of the Pit.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/search.php?searchid=8936920

Doesn't pop up in the search^

it's on the front page now because I just posted in it. Sorry again.
When you get an $1,800 vehicle it's a crapshoot whether it will be problem free-or a money pit.

Depends on lots of factors with the vehicle's history and how you operate it and care for it.

Same for an $18,000 vehicle, or a $180,000 vehicle like that Bimmer M5. Even a new car under warranty has all sorts of things that can go wrong that won't be covered.
Quote by KirkMetallica
Don't bother, seriously. $1800 won't keep you going for a month.

My car has done nothing but burn a massive hole through my pocket, through both my legs and through my other pocket.

I spent $500 on a Pontiac Grand Prix and put $400 into it after that. It ran for almost a year before I got in an accident and totaled it.

TS, I'd wait for spring and start looking at lawns, that's where the deals are. Of course you're gonna need someone who knows what to look for in a test drive, but that goes for any car you buy.
Dickless.