I've been a bassist for a while now and i've been considering an acoustic bass. What is your opinion on them and are they really worth it?
I think they're pretty cool. As for pros: You can play it anywhere without an amp. For cons: Aren't as loud as an electric bass through an amp.

I'd definitely say go for it.
Definitely go for Acoustic-Electric though. Best of both worlds
If creationists made Pokemon:
"What the, Pikachu is...Congratulations, God decided your Pikachu is now a Raichu."

So what...I like Metal...sue me

"music elitists"
Pretty much any acoustic bass under 2 grand will be crap, you won't be able to hear yourself, nonetheless try and compete with acoustic guitars.
Quote by dslep858
I've been a bassist for a while now and i've been considering an acoustic bass. What is your opinion on them and are they really worth it?

They're great to have around. The important thing to know what you want from it, and understand its limitations.
You might find some of these threads helpful.
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/recommend-me-acoustic-845119/
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/loudest-best-acoustic-bass-guitar-829368/
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/loudest-best-acoustic-bass-guitar-829368/

Oh, and this statement....
Pretty much any acoustic bass under 2 grand will be crap, you won't be able to hear yourself, nonetheless try and compete with acoustic guitars.

No offense, but totally false.
Pros: You can play by yourself without an amp, they have a different sound which you may or may not find particularly useful.

Cons: If you want to play with anyone else (drummer, acoustic guitarists, etc.) you'll have to plug in anyway 99% of the time. Some brands/models can achieve more acceptable volume levels unplugged (Olympia/Tacoma's come to mind) but most of the time you'll need to be amplified.

You also don't want to cheap out on one. While you may get lucky, most of the cheaper Ibanez or Deans or any others that clock in at just a couple hundred bucks are crap.

You also have to think about how much you'd actually use it. An ABG isn't going to sound like a Precision or Jazz or what have you, nor is it going to sound like an upright. It's in its own little niche, and if you're thinking of investing in one for more then just bedroom practice you should really think about how much you'd actually use it, or whether a solid body would be more appropriate.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
They are very useful. Amps are a pain to bring around.

Ive been playin a Dean acoustic and its the best desicion I made. The only problem is really high action, which doesnt really matter cause Im also a double bassist.
Be a man and play an upright bass!
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
There is the Kala Uke bass thing, Anarkee usually chimes in about it being a good combination or tone, size and playability.

My issue is the standard bronze/nickel/steel string acoustic basses just seem like they have a good concept, but almost anything else can beat them. Yes they don't need amps, but unless you buy an expensive model, they are hard to hear and even money doesn't bring a giant sound. A regular ABG seems like a big bulky 1 trick pony, unless you find yourself without electricity or do a lot of camping, or just play alone but detest the idea of headphones it's not going to be a life altering purchase. Even playing in an apartment with people playing acoustic or electric will require you to plug in to be heard and by that level your neighbors probably don't like you.

That said if you want a ABG for that sound (Kyuss, Space Cadet sounds amazing) get one, but only for the unique tone honestly.