I'm replacing my Marshall MG100Fx (horrible amp... Haha) for one of these two heads.
I've read a lot about both, but not anything really comparing the two, so any opinions with experience with both would be helpful. The style of music I play is a sort of rock and roll mixed with hardcore, so the tone I'm looking for is pretty high gain, but still the low end rock and roll esque sound for breakdowns. Both amps are listed for $250 at Guitar center, so the price won't be a deciding factor.
Also, if there is anything better for close to the same price, I'd be interested in that.
Thanks!
Last edited by gwd1994 at Feb 9, 2012,
Quote by Blktiger0
Out of those two, the Blue Voodoo for sure. If you can find a used Peavey Ultra, that would suit you better. They go for about $300ish iirc.

x2
Quote by Blktiger0
Out of those two, the Blue Voodoo for sure. If you can find a used Peavey Ultra, that would suit you better. They go for about $300ish iirc.

mmhmmm
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Feb 9, 2012,
The BV60 is so much better than an AVT that it's laughable.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Before you go to guitar center, try some local shops first. You can find some real gems and rare items in those places for a good price.

Crate ftw...only get an AVT if you want a solid state. It's technically a hybrid, but isn't making any leaps or bounds beyond it's SS competition.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Feb 10, 2012,
With no experience of it, I'd say go for the Crate.

AVTs are a step up from the MG, but only a step, not a leap. Neither are as bad as people make out, but they're still only basic entry level amps. If you're ready to climb the ladder, make sure you do it more than one step at a time.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
They are every bit as bad as people make out and more. AVT's are steaming piles of smeg. The worst amp it's ever been my misfortune to have a band member own. Disgusting amp. I rather not play a gig than be forced to use one. Tinny, nasally, muddy and just awful. I wouldn't even own one as a backup amp.
They aren't a step up from an MG at all, they are every bit as bad in their own way. Unless you want to play Scandinavian death metal where the aim of the game is to sound as bad as is humanly possible it is best to stay as far away from them as you can.
The Blue Voodoo on the other hand is a fine amp that I would be happy to use.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Feb 10, 2012,
Quote by Cathbard
They are every bit as bad as people make out and more. AVT's are steaming piles of smeg. The worst amp it's ever been my misfortune to have a band member own. Disgusting amp. I rather not play a gig than be forced to use one. Tinny, nasally, muddy and just awful. I wouldn't even own one as a backup amp.
They aren't a step up from an MG at all, they are every bit as bad in their own way. Unless you want to play Scandinavian death metal where the aim of the game is to sound as bad as is humanly possible it is best to stay as far away from them as you can.
The Blue Voodoo on the other hand is a fine amp that I would be happy to use.

Jesus, when did the tube nazis goose step in to this thread?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0

Weren't you paying attention?
I came very close to sacking the guy that had a Valvestate in my band. He tried running it through a magnificent Soldano 2x12 (the amp was a VS8100) and it didn't help. He wasn't a bad guitarist or anything, it was just that his tone was disgusting and made the entire mix sound shit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Tom 1.0

50/50 chance of either a "tube nazi" or a "Gibson *****boy" jumping into any thread here.
But seriously the AVT is not that bad, the cleans are not as good as my 65 Bandmaster, but I rarely play clean anyway. And I prefer the 150 over the 50 and I love the fact it has 4 channels. And people never say anything bad about my tone. But it all depends what you like in the end.

And if you are gigging most of your sound all depends on how good the guy running the board is or how much he likes you or how many drinks you have bought him

And Tommy Victor of Prong has used a VS8100 on many recordings.....I happen to love his sound. So as far as a 8100 sounding like crap you gotta be real dumb not to be able to get a decent tone out of one.
What the hell!!!
Quote by danvwman
50/50 chance of either a "tube nazi" or a "Gibson *****boy" jumping into any thread here.
But seriously the AVT is not that bad, the cleans are not as good as my 65 Bandmaster, but I rarely play clean anyway. And I prefer the 150 over the 50 and I love the fact it has 4 channels. And people never say anything bad about my tone. But it all depends what you like in the end.

And if you are gigging most of your sound all depends on how good the guy running the board is or how much he likes you or how many drinks you have bought him

And Tommy Victor of Prong has used a VS8100 on many recordings.....I happen to love his sound. So as far as a 8100 sounding like crap you gotta be real dumb not to be able to get a decent tone out of one.

I was joking, the AVTs are as good as anal sex with your dad.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
All amps sound bad if you don't know how to use them. AVTs can make acceptable sounds if you take the time to get to know them, but I think pretty much everyone is agreed that for TS, the Crate is the better option.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by danvwman

Is this a joke? Unless we're talking about acoustic guitar that's just bullshit. With the mix that may be true, but they have no control over your guitar's tone whatsoever, just where it sits in the mix.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by danvwman

I was hunting geese and you took the bait. You sir, will from here on in be known as "the goose"
In fact that was even more gooselike than I had hoped for.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by tubetime86
Is this a joke? Unless we're talking about acoustic guitar that's just bullshit. With the mix that may be true, but they have no control over your guitar's tone whatsoever, just where it sits in the mix.

The guy behind the board can make anything sound horrible.
I had an AVT150h for a while, it sounded acceptable (not great) on it's own, but it just didn't sit well in a band mix at all, I played three gigs with it and then sold it.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
The guy behind the board can make anything sound horrible.

Yes... By screwing up the mix. Not by changing your tone in any way. Saying that the sound guy has the most control over your tone is completely absurd. If thats the case why do we buy amps?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Yes... By screwing up the mix. Not by changing your tone in any way. Saying that the sound guy has the most control over your tone is completely absurd. If thats the case why do we buy amps?

He can't make you sound much better, but by completely ****ing the EQ on the board, he can **** your tone. I've never had anyone do that, but they sure as hell could. I can tell you that they aren't gonna make shit sound like gold. Maybe sparkly shit if they're lucky, but it'll still be shit.
Quote by Blktiger0
He can't make you sound much better, but by completely ****ing the EQ on the board, he can **** your tone. I've never had anyone do that, but they sure as hell could. I can tell you that they aren't gonna make shit sound like gold. Maybe sparkly shit if they're lucky, but it'll still be shit.

He could also set fire to the venue as you walk on stage... Your point?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
He could also set fire to the venue as you walk on stage... Your point?

You guys were acting like he doesn't have the power to actually **** with the sound your guitar is making, when he does. A bad sound guy that knows nothing about EQ but everything about setting the band's volume levels so everyone is heard will make the band sound like shit. I agree that the best sound guy in the world can't make something shitty sound good, but any sound guy can make something good sound shitty. Hell, any teenager that has a sound system in their car with an EQ already can do that. They see Bass and crank it and they see treble/mids and think "oh...that's not bass, so turn it all the way down!" Then they listen to shitty quality music pumped as loud as it can go while driving through town. Put them behind a mixing board and you onstage with a SLO and tell me a sound guy can't ruin your tone.
He can change the EQ but he can't really do a lot. To screw up your sound too much he'd have to be a real dick purposely trying to **** with you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
He can change the EQ but he can't really do a lot. To screw up your sound too much he'd have to be a real dick purposely trying to **** with you.

....after which he'd probably get fired and never find work again.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I've normally insisted on my own guy sitting at the desk. I specify that as a condition when I accept the gig. Why take chances on their guy being any good when I have my own guy that knows our material?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I saw Puscifer last year and the sound guy was horrible. His mix was too heavy on the bass and not enough vocals. Thank goodness for the person who walked up and tapped him on the shoulder. After he took off the headphones the sound was good. I just felt bad for the people whose favorite songs where those first couple of songs.
Yeah, the last two gigs we played had bad mixes. One was small enough that only to vocals and kick drum were mic'd up, but we had never played like that, so my guuitar was much louder than the other guitarist's, our bassist was a bit quiet, and the vocals were a bit loud. Then, the next gig was all drums and vocals on the recording we got. The guitars were all set nicely to each other, but then the vocals were twice as loud and the drums are up there too. I'm really hoping that the levels were just different in the recording versus the actual house mix because I really liked that sound guy before this.
Quote by GaryBillington
....after which he'd probably get fired and never find work again.

Happens all the time in this town.....nobody ever gets fired.......and they all have egos like Carthbard lol!
What the hell!!!
Quote by danvwman
Happens all the time in this town.....nobody ever gets fired.......and they all have egos like Carthbard lol!

My impression of carth....."I build crappy little amps down under so people NEED to listen to me(while stomping feet) even though its just MY opinion YOU NEED to listen to me because I am ALWAYS right!

My point was Carth you said the guy sounded bad in your mix.....I pointed out that the sound guy can eff that up royaly.......other people agree the sound guy can destroy a bands mix. So maybe, just maybe the problem with the guitarist you had was the douche running the board and not the dudes amp.
Maybe the sound guy knew that guitarist and diddnt like him....maybe he boffed his old lady.....anyway it can happen. And most of the time they have attitudes like you....you cant tell them anything because they think they know it all.
What the hell!!!
Quote by danvwman
My impression of carth....."I build crappy little amps down under so people NEED to listen to me(while stomping feet) even though its just MY opinion YOU NEED to listen to me because I am ALWAYS right!

My point was Carth you said the guy sounded bad in your mix.....I pointed out that the sound guy can eff that up royaly.......other people agree the sound guy can destroy a bands mix. So maybe, just maybe the problem with the guitarist you had was the douche running the board and not the dudes amp.
Maybe the sound guy knew that guitarist and diddnt like him....maybe he boffed his old lady.....anyway it can happen. And most of the time they have attitudes like you....you cant tell them anything because they think they know it all.

And my impression of you is that you are a total goose whose opinion is worth less than squat.

Have a nice day, goose.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by danvwman

you are the dumbest person.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by danvwman

You really are a Dumbass
All I can say is every piece of advise Cath has ever given to me is pretty much spot-on. I might not agree with eveything, but he is deff one of the most knowledgable users that the UG community has.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by danvwman

Harsh, and kind of agree with the other guys comments because of the way you worded it, but also see your point.

He is very opinionated and sometimes presents those opinions as facts which maybe isn't the best thing to do, but he also provides a lot of good advice when there's more of a technical subject being discussed.

Opinions are just that - opinions. No matter how much you disagree with someone's opinion there's no need to attempt to make personal insults because of it.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I saw one band where the lead guitarist had a really nice mesa, but his bandmate was playing a Valveking. One could argue that the VK "didnt fit into the mix"....

but it was just a case of a douchebag acting like he was in some guitar battle...trying to be the loudest in order to steal the show. That shit happens too.
Quote by danvwman

Did you really just quote, then respond to your own post? And you're calling other users out on ego?

Care to show us one of the amplifiers you've built? You calling Cath's amps 'crappy' means nothing since you've demonstrated a complete lack of knowledge of amps. Its clear that you base that opinion entirely on your dislike for him, which in reality has no effect on his work.

Cath may be sarcastic and occasionally a little rude, but anyone who knows their stuff will tell you he knows what he's talking about. Sorry dude, but old farts like you that have 25 years of gigging experience but no common sense turn up every month or so. You aren't the first, you won't be the last and Cath will still be doing his thing long after you've gone back to playing mustang sally for your grandkids.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!