I hear that if it get bad enough, you won't even be able to play guitar again.

I realized a while ago that my technique was horrible. I played with my wrist too bent and it started hurting quite a bit when I finished playing a power chord song like In Bloom, Song 2, Hammerhead, etc.

I've been trying to get a better left hand technique but I noticed that sometimes, when I bend, I get this pain in wrist that really worries me.

Should I take a break from guitar or something? I don't want this to get serious. I've read about people with wrist tendonitis not being able to play for months. Being self taught, it's hard to know when I'm getting something right.
A break will never hurt your guitar playing to bad , and is sometimes just the thing you need to overcome any technical hurdles you maybe having.

And when you come back to playing, remember to stretch your muscles before touching the guitar. As well as when you are done playing. If you as still have a lot of pain after this, maybe you could go see a doctor, if nothing more than to put your mind at ease.
Want Sub-Forums For GB&C, CLICK and Comment to Help the Right People Notice.
It's good to take breaks every once in a while. Let your wrist heal for a day or two and then try again, this time with proper technique. If the pain still persists, go see a doctor.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Is this on an acoustic? What gauge strings do you have? What's your grip like on the neck?

It can be quite easy to correct these things if you zoom in on them.
Look up some online lessons about left-hand ergonomics/posture.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Something that a lot of guitarists overlook is stretching. It is essential to stretch before you play; especially your wrists. Just set aside a minute or two before you pick up the guitar to stretch your arms, wrists, shoulders, and neck. John Petrucci gives a good explanation on what to do at the beginning of his DVD Rock Discipline. You can probably find it on Youtube.
BEST GEAR IN THE WORLD

PRS Santana SE II with Dimarzio DP100 bridge P/up
BOSS ME-50
Fender Frontman 65r
Line 6 Pocket POD
Dunlop Jazz III picks
Unfortunately, even with perfect tecnique, injuries do happen. If you are playing the guitar 3 hours a day then thats a lot of overuse of the wrist and fingers.

Take a break for a week. Spend the week learning theory, ear training and listening to music.

Freepower has a good video on posture, check it out.
My posture vid is here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcIZaZthqbg

I would say just take a break for a bit, or play stuff that's easier on the wrists. Now you know that the problem is wrist angle you can take steps to prevent it - with good technique you can almost guarantee avoiding these problems. I had some wrist problems, fixed my technique, now I play about 5-6 hours a day no problem.
I have this problem. I gave it to myself by playing multiple hours a day, every single day when I was younger. My posture was not perfect but not bad.

My advice would be to stress good posture while you are playing. Sometimes it is necessary to bend your wrist but you should not be doing it the entire time you are playing. Also take a day of rest a few times a month. If I had done that I would likely not have the problem now, or at least not nearly as bad.
Quote by caraluzzo
People recommending lessons for having wrist problems? lol. Good posture and proper stretching can change everything.

http://youtu.be/qjhmi-bkFPE

A teacher can identify the problems.

Videos on posture are good, but they cant see you and tell you any errors. It also may not be posture, it could be tension, or a bad picking or strumming motion.
Tension.

Gotta release it. Try pulling a Muhammed Ali. Touch as lightly on the guitar neck as possible while still making it sound clear.

To see bad technique: see Incubus' guitarist. He has such tension in his wrist that you can see everything bulging through his skin. Don't do that.

Practice what is comfortable and release the tension. That is how to prevent this. Maybe do an alternate fingering for those power chords (changing what finger you use, not an "inversion", per se).
Quote by Guitardude19
The world is a fucked up place.

Tele's

"Oh I'll play the blues for you"
well if it makes you feel any better, I'm self taught(going on 3 years now) and never had any problems like that whatsoever. I mean, i played cannibal corpse songs when i was just starting with the instrument- all sorts of bad shyt like picking using only the elbow, fretting wrist in all tipes of weird positions(i later learned the "proper" way of doing all those things, I still don't ever warm up or do any stretching exercises and my stretching is just fine). But i guess the important thing is just to have good posture i.e sit up straight(very common problem i see in A LOT of guitarists) and |RELAX when you practice, whatever you practice. I found that when you truly get into the "zone"(relaxing), your technique will correct itself to some extent. just keep at it dude and don't worry too much about that stuff.
Slipping...I'm with you, bro. I used to hardly practice EVER and now that I've become really dedicated, I'm terrified of tendonitis and sometimes I'll feel a twinge after hours of practice and go into panic mode.

I found this video really helpful...Not sure what the rest of you will think of it, but fire away with comments: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUyMNyrOHJQ

I tend to do these a lot of during the day, even at my desk at work...just lightly, to keep my wrists moving and limber.
If you guys really wanna go crazy, buy a wrist brace (make sure it's one without a splint) and wear it while practicing. If you want to achieve "perfect" technique, play with one of those on. It will force you to have it.

Disclaimer: perfect technique doesn't work for everyone (me included). But maybe give it a shot and it might point out some issues you are creating for your wrist.
Quote by Guitardude19
The world is a fucked up place.

Tele's

"Oh I'll play the blues for you"
I stumbled across Freepower's posture video a few weeks ago and it really helped with my posture. My hand would tire quickly when playing chords on the lower end of the neck but correcting my posture made a huge difference instantly.
Quote by dragoo-mon
+1 to carcass255, he knows funk will lead the way

Quote by DimebagLivesOn
Pies? You're the drunk one!
Quote by carcass255
I stumbled across Freepower's posture video a few weeks ago and it really helped with my posture. My hand would tire quickly when playing chords on the lower end of the neck but correcting my posture made a huge difference instantly.

+1. I found just sitting up straight and making sure my guitar was perdendicular to the floor not only helped with wrist pain, it made me a better player in general.
A lot of guitar players hang their guitar too low because it "looks cool." This then requires that the thumb must wrap around the neck and puts the fingers in a non-efficient position. And regardless of the thumb (as we are focusing on the wrist), if the wrist is bent, that puts pressure on the carpal tunnel. While many guitarists play with pressure on the carpal tunnel and make plenty of money doing so, it is not necessarily the healthiest way of holding the guitar.
Yeah, I have wrist tendonitis, and let me tell you first hand it sucks. No more guitar. A bone in my hand never healed. Went to the medical supplies store to buy a brace and that helps, but only while playing.
Quote by daine.scott
Yeah, I have wrist tendonitis, and let me tell you first hand it sucks. No more guitar. A bone in my hand never healed. Went to the medical supplies store to buy a brace and that helps, but only while playing.

DAmn, sorry to hear that. That's what I'm afraid of. I haven't played for two weeks now and am wearing a brace and icing/stretching occasionally. Waiting to see a doctor. But what does tendonitis even feel like? I feel a pinch in my forearm every now and then.
Quote by daine.scott

I decided to simply accept the challenge and do it myself because doctors around here are ****ing incompetent.. and apathic:

I swear those 2 things combined will heal the majority of myofascial pains + break tendonitis scar tissue in the least ammount of time..

im not trying to sell shit, but i went to 5 different doctors because an injury to my shoulders/neck where already giving me hand pain and i kid you not after 6 months none of them had taken it seriously let alone healed it..

bad side: you have to learn anatomy and get to know your muscles.. good sidE: once learn you can pretty much fix yourself up anytime..

http://www.amazon.de/dp/1572243759/ref=asc_df_15722437597388065?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&tag=googledeprodu-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22494&creativeASIN=1572243759

http://www.tacoma-massage-therapy.com/ice-massage.html

http://saveyourself.ca/articles/frictions.php

if you put the effort, you wont be dissapointed..
Last edited by Slashiepie at Apr 12, 2012,