Sorry, but I didn't post the recording (I did it on my ipod; not the best quality, but it works). There's a couple things I noticed about my voice:

When I sang softer my voice was in tune, had pretty good tone, and I was able to hit some highs (a great leap from my last recording 4 months ago). BUT when I sang louder it was a little flat and lacked resonance (kind've like shouting, but with a slightly smoother sound).

I'm sacrificing volume for tone on the loud parts of the song (shouting more than singing).

Any thoughts?
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Last edited by Robbin'TheHood at Feb 10, 2012,
Don't know all that much about vocals but it sounds like you answered your own question, that aside the Iphone recorder is pretty bad and when you start getting higher in the frequency's its only going to sound worse and potentially cut frequency out all together.

When you get the chance invest in a better microphone!
Yeah, I know what you're saying about getting a decent microphone, but I'm short on cash at the moment. I have a pretty good idea about what I'm doing wrong, but I just wanted to see if any of the singing gurus had any advice.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Quote by Robbin'TheHood

I'm sacrificing volume for tone on the loud parts of the song (shouting more than singing).

Any thoughts?

This is a common problem and it comes from poor breathing technique. You end up tensing a lot of things to be loud rather than just relaxing into being loud. That tightness then robs you of your tone.

Singing instruction will really really help.

A girl I used to know - a tiny little thing, really - who would later do pretty well on American Idol could get a tremendous amount of force, and she said one of the exercises her teacher made her do was singer while doing sit-ups. I don't recommend this UNTIL you have your basic breathing technique down, but the point is that the singing-breathing is functioning independently of the sit-up muscles.

Chances are when you sing loud you feel your throat and shoulders and stomach constrict. That is what robs you of your tone and pitch control.
Quote by Robbin'TheHood
BUT when I sang louder it was a little flat and lacked resonance (kind've like shouting, but with a slightly smoother sound).

Quite simply, it boils down to improper technique.

The shouting, non-resonant tone is usually a function of pushing with the diaphragm. Yeah, you know how everyone says to "push with the diaphragm?" This is why it is bad advice.

Ironically, pushing with the diaphragm usually results in the pitch going sharp. Flatness of pitch is usually a function of poor breath support. I'm going to guess a couple of things:
-the energy of your voice is being absorbed by the soft palate or the throat. Place the voice forward in the mouth on the hard palate.
-if you read the part about the "hold of the breath" at www.thebelcantotechnique.com , you will be further ahead.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.