i am trying to get a tone close to frusciante's in this clip (the bedroom lick) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0r62Xiy2ME

but i don't own a strat, or any single pickup guitars for that matter and i am struggling to get that punchy tone! the guitar i am using is a washburn hb35.

i have a line6 toneport for amp modeling but can't pick out the right setup. i understand that frusciante uses marshalls, any settings anyone could recommend?
Nope - but keep the amp fairly clean and use compression, back of your guitar's volume a tad and you should be in the ballpark.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Coil tap, use bridge pup. If you don't want to coil tap for real, perhaps your MFX has a humbucker=>single coil sim...
That washburn is inappropriate for that tone in literally every way imaginable. You can get that sort of tone through nearly any amp. Marshall, Vox and the Hot Rod or Bassman series of Fenders will all do it. But you need - I stress, need - a bright, low-power single coil, a bolt-on neck, a solid body and a flat (preferably non-recessed vintage vibrato) bridge. 25.5" scale helps a lot too, though it isn't 100% vital. There is not one single part of that that your guitar matches and no amp modelling, pedal or other effect can help that.

If that's the tone you want your options are:
  • Swap your neck pickup for one designed specifically for splitting and install a coil split. Seymour Duncan make a pickup for this called the Stag Mag, though it's really too powerful to put in the neck and get that kind of tone. The Creamery makes a 12-pole piece humbucker, but that's a somewhat expensive option. With a pickup like that split you would at least get the single coil tone, which is the most important part. In your guitar it would still sound noticably warmer and thicker than the tone in that video.
  • Simply split the current pickup. Same as option #1, but it will sound even less like Frusciante.
  • Buy a mounting ring that allows you to fit a Strat pickup into a humbucker space. These are quite hard to find and while it will give you a better tone than splitting any pickup, it still won't sound right.
  • Install an EMG RPC. This means fitting a battery in somewhere and losing a tone or volume control, plus switching the jack. The RPC is an active tone control that dips out bass and boosts treble a lot to make a humbucker sound more like a single coil. Really it's best to use with active pickups as they have the extra wide response to make proper use of EQ controls.
  • Get a Strat.

Quote by jetwash69
Coil tap, use bridge pup.

It's a coil split, not a tap. A tap is something you do to single coils. Also, that's the neck pickup you're hearing.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Feb 10, 2012,
Quote by MrFlibble
That washburn is inappropriate for that tone in literally every way imaginable. You can get that sort of tone through nearly any amp. Marshall, Vox and the Hot Rod or Bassman series of Fenders will all do it. But you need - I stress, need - a bright, low-power single coil, a bolt-on neck, a solid body and a flat (preferably non-recessed vintage vibrato) bridge. 25.5" scale helps a lot too, though it isn't 100% vital. There is not one single part of that that your guitar matches and no amp modelling, pedal or other effect can help that.

If that's the tone you want your options are:
  • Swap your neck pickup for one designed specifically for splitting and install a coil split. Seymour Duncan make a pickup for this called the Stag Mag, though it's really too powerful to put in the neck and get that kind of tone. The Creamery makes a 12-pole piece humbucker, but that's a somewhat expensive option. With a pickup like that split you would at least get the single coil tone, which is the most important part. In your guitar it would still sound noticably warmer and thicker than the tone in that video.
  • Simply split the current pickup. Same as option #1, but it will sound even less like Frusciante.
  • Buy a mounting ring that allows you to fit a Strat pickup into a humbucker space. These are quite hard to find and while it will give you a better tone than splitting any pickup, it still won't sound right.
  • Install an EMG RPC. This means fitting a battery in somewhere and losing a tone or volume control, plus switching the jack. The RPC is an active tone control that dips out bass and boosts treble a lot to make a humbucker sound more like a single coil. Really it's best to use with active pickups as they have the extra wide response to make proper use of EQ controls.
  • Get a Strat.

It's a coil split, not a tap. A tap is something you do to single coils. Also, that's the neck pickup you're hearing.

Or he could just save up and get a Strat. Nothing wrong with having more then one guitar.
ok cheers for the help! the washburn is my second guitar, i've got a really old yamaha rgx with a HSH setup, reckon i need the single coil to be on the neck rather than the middile though? if not, i might start looking to borrow or invest in a second hand strat!
It's really got to be a strat. A single coil will get you closer but the neck pickup on a strat is a unique sound, and it's what you're hearing there.
Thanks, MrFlibble

Corrected: Coil split; not tap.

And fill that hollowbody with concrete. Or wood putty.
ok i found a shop in town that will let you give a guitar in as collateral for another, so i will get a strat from there to play around with...and then maybe chip into the overdraft and buy one cheers for the help, greatly appreciated! =]
I personally find John's tone far less dependent on actual equipment as it is on playing style. And to those who said hollow bodies are bad for this tone, this is highly untrue, just listen and observe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0AXjUy1_gY

sounds extremely close to his regular tone.
A touch of vibe or a chorus with the width set down low and the rate high helps astronomically for cleans, his setup is largely dependent on his pedalboard and stereo setup. Any pedal that can mimic two amps at once such as pigtronix philosophers tone.7 As for EQ on a marshall about mids 7~8 treb varies depending on how much natural treble your guitar has. I have a gibson sg with p-90s and I set that to about 3 with a treble boost on my chorus. So 6 might work without, bass 6, reverb 4-7 depending on song keep the gain at about 4, same with the preamp volume, and the master is what you crank.
Quote by In-Flight-Radio
I personally find John's tone far less dependent on actual equipment as it is on playing style. And to those who said hollow bodies are bad for this tone, this is highly untrue, just listen and observe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0AXjUy1_gY

sounds extremely close to his regular tone.
Barely. That's still very clearly a honky, semi-hollow with humbuckers tone compared to his usual solid & single coil tone, and more importantly it is nothing like the tone OP posted and wanted.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Barely. That's still very clearly a honky, semi-hollow with humbuckers tone compared to his usual solid & single coil tone, and more importantly it is nothing like the tone OP posted and wanted.

It wasn't the point to mimic that tone with the video. It was to show that you can still get a frusciante type tone from a hollowbody. If you played it in a funky manner and used those effects it would sound a lot closer
People are being too picky I think. You don't need a strat and a Marshall to get his tone. Anything with singles and a relatively middy amp could get in his ballpark. The rest is as much up to your ear and fingers as it is to an amp.
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
Quote by Pumpkin_Howie
ok cheers for the help! the washburn is my second guitar, i've got a really old yamaha rgx with a HSH setup, reckon i need the single coil to be on the neck rather than the middile though? if not, i might start looking to borrow or invest in a second hand strat!

I also have a Yamaha RGX- if I remember correctly the middle pickup is pretty thin sounding and low output- should definitely get you in the same ballpark. Give it a try.
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
Quote by Pumpkin_Howie
just and update on this.......i ended up getting a MIJ stratocaster from a second hand shop nearby for an amazing deal! uploaded a vid of me playing this lick on youtube last week!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1lFx1orQvQ

thanks for the help everyone =]

Can't beat a good strat, congrats.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Good tone and 's better playing than I can muster.