Poll: Do you think they value of music diminishing?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you think they value of music diminishing?
Yes
15 33%
No
23 50%
Option 3
8 17%
Voters: 46.
You all know that mp3s have taken over the musical listening standard of CDs and CDs have taken over vinyl. As songs and albums have been getting easier and easier to acquire over the years it seems as though more often people are listening to music in a more passive way. It used to be that a person go into a store, buy a CD or LP, go home excitedly and listen to it for hours and hours while at the same time you could look at the artwork that came with it. This doesn't seem to happen as frequently any more.

However it allows for people to go around the internet for hours and hours and find great bands which they could listen to anywhere they would like.

With software like Pro Tools, Nuendo, etc being downloaded thru torrents to create music much easier than they could have several years ago. People took A LOT of care into what they were able to record before the digital age and now it's so easy that it anyone could do it. Although this allows lots of great music to be created too and offers an endless amount of possibilities in terms of promotion, song editing and whatnot.

It seems as though people love hearing music everywhere they go and many will pay lots of money for songs and albums online. However lots of people also download days worth of music at a time and never even listen to the majority of them once.

I feel these following photos are somewhat relevant.

No
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
All it means is there is more good stuff to listen to, but more garbage to sift through to find it. A fair trade IMO.
Check out my band Disturbed
No. There's simply just greater exposure. It's much easier to produce, access music. The payoff however, for finding good music is still equivalent to what it used to be. It's certainly a different experience, but it's nevertheless enjoyable.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
People will and have always made and listened to crap music.
It doesnt matter how much easier it is to get music, or produce music.
Quality will last.
The monetary value is diminishing I believe, but not the aesthetic value.
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
I think good quality music will command a premium because of the increasing ease at which an untalented individual or group of individuals can produce reasonable-quality sound. More and more chaff cluttering up the bottom end, so it's gunning to be harder and harder for those at the bottom of the pile to prove to people they are worth their time, let alone their hard earned cash. However, I believe the garbage will push upwards an appreciation for the good stuff and, as always, those with the good stuff and the work-ethic to go the distance will eventually become appreciated.

Physical products and the excitement of ownership as well as the total package of art are definitely losing value but I have a feeling there will be a resurgence in this in the future. Remember, game developers almost stopped making platform games for about 15 years after the advent of 3D capable gaming systems. Fast-forward to today and they have made a resurgence that started with nostalgia and is cemented by the consumers of such media that even though the technology exists to produce 3D adventure games, there is a place for the old school style, because it is fun!
Quote by Z0S07657

Synth's are still for people who know how to use them. They're just easier to get a hold of now in the form of VSTs. Which is awesome.
I make house muuuusic!
www.soundcloud.com/sean-garfola

My Gear:
Schecter Tempest custom
Pro Co Rat Duecetone Distortion
Boss Space Echo
Boss Super Chorus
Line 6 Verbzilla
Digitech Jam-man
Peavey ValveKing 212
Quote by StewieSwan
All it means is there is more good stuff to listen to, but more garbage to sift through to find it. A fair trade IMO.

This. There is good stuff being made , and obviously more of it due to the avaliablity of just recording and production software for instance to the masses, but it also means every idiot who downloaded a copy of reason and bought a midi keyboard will call themselves a 'producer'.
Yeah, I do. I think the harder you have to work to get something, the more valuable it is; and also the extreme amount of music some people have is inevitably going to make them value it less, as the old saying goes familiarity breeds contempt.
Up The Boro!
I do think it's more tempting to listen to music passively and fleetingly, considering so much is available and you're not forced to get as much as you can out of the one CD you've bought this week. But I think anyone who's listened to music for a while will have realised this is unsatisfying and will listen actively and repeatedly. It's a minor problem people will overcome by themselves rather than a permanent change in the way we listen to music, I think.

EDIT: And hopefully with everyone being able to make music, the best stuff will float to the top, as opposed to whatever's being promoted hardest getting a head start.
Last edited by whalepudding at Feb 10, 2012,
I associate my lack of concern for music to not being a teenager anymore.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I associate my lack of concern for music to not being a teenager anymore.

It's all about arthouse films now, isn't it? >_>
I agree with TS. Why, I remember the days when Music was a viable form of currency. "A Song for those two pears!" we'd say. I even used a Creedence Clearwater LP as the deposit on my first house. Nowadays, all this digital stuff isn't worth the binary it's encoded in.
Quote by StewieSwan

When I go to a record store, I find myself sifting through more garbage (or what appears to be) than I would be going through music blogs and such.
Quote by hriday_hazarika
It's all about arthouse films now, isn't it? >_>

Yep. When I was a teenager I felt that the ultimate art form was music. I've since changed my mind and think it's film.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Quote by Jack Off Jill
Yep. When I was a teenager I felt that the ultimate art form was music. I've since changed my mind and think it's film.

I agree. Film does engage one both aurally and visually.
Quote by hriday_hazarika
I agree. Film does engage one both aurally and visually.

Unfortunately, it's easier for me to do music on my own than it is to make movies. I worked around it by working on a stop motion movie, but it takes so god damn long.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill
Unfortunately, it's easier for me to do music on my own than it is to make movies. I worked around it by working on a stop motion movie, but it takes so god damn long.

Why don't you attempt some old-school animation?

Draw each scene in a notebook, and then flip through the pages in a rapid motion.

That surely won't take time. >_>

You could also use MikuMikuDance, if you're into animated ladies strutting their stuff to catchy dance pop. If you're looking to be ironic and experimental, that would work well. >___>
But films show you situations in which certain emotions or ideas are normal responses, whereas music shows you the emotions or ideas directly. Music is the king of arts.
Quote by whalepudding
But films show you situations in which certain emotions or ideas are normal responses, whereas music shows you the emotions or ideas directly. Music is the king of arts.

Film can have music.

Film is music's elder brother.