Hi, i've been getting cramp like sensations in my fretting hand while playing chromatic exercises (here basically) (Invalid img)

I've noticed it only hurts when I use my pinky. I found this guide on this messageboard - http://pbguitarstudio.com/pdf_files/GUITAR_PDF/Bad%20Technique%20Page.pdf - and I noticed I do #5 when I play those exercises, but how else am I supposed to play with my pinky? I play with my thumb to the side or a bit over the top of the neck so i'm trying to to keep it more central, but I still can't stretch that far without straightening my pinky and putting strain on that part of my hand so what should I do?
After watching a video on youtube with Shawn Lane on "How to develop an outside sound", I was hooked on the way he keeps the hand in that video. It's my default hand position right now really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Skk9Q0Qd_k

He explains it at 1.45 approximately. It's working wonders for my left hand.
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
Funny you mention him, I was also looking up my other problem with hitchhikers thumb, because this picture is exactly how I hold the neck but i've been reading Shawn Lane had the same thing so now i'm confused
pebber brown is a great teacher. fairly certain he worked or taught with shawn lane in some way.

but until he grows hands 2 times larger than they should be i wouldn't take all of his position advice to heart. get the basics down of what and what not to do, then adjust it so you don't cause injury. also make sure the positioning of the guitar is right, try more of a jazz style position.

generally that pain on that side is caused from too tight a grip. or at least in my case it was. if you notice, 50% of your grip pressure comes from that side of the pinky. if you do have a look at shawn lane, you can see how little pressure he is actually applying. that's skill comes after a lot practice.
Quote by Marshmelllow
pebber brown is a great teacher. fairly certain he worked or taught with shawn lane in some way.

but until he grows hands 2 times larger than they should be i wouldn't take all of his position advice to heart. get the basics down of what and what not to do, then adjust it so you don't cause injury. also make sure the positioning of the guitar is right, try more of a jazz style position.

generally that pain on that side is caused from too tight a grip. or at least in my case it was. if you notice, 50% of your grip pressure comes from that side of the pinky. if you do have a look at shawn lane, you can see how little pressure he is actually applying. that's skill comes after a lot practice.

He was friends with Shawn and his family
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
TS, can you post pictures of your fretting hand while you're using the pinky with the pictures taken from the front and back? I think I know what you're doing wrong but I need to be sure before I tell you what to do.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.