I currently have the Ableton Live Lite M-Audio edition which came with the M-Audio KeyRig a while ago. I love it and I've been very happy with it but I've hit some limitations of the Lite edition. Mostly the amount of plugins you can use.

This is all fine for now but I want to get really into recording and mixing and I know I will need a better DAW at some point. I was browsing for alternatives and these look the most promising.

Upgrade to full Ableton Live 8, 270€
Steinberg Cubase Artist 6, 310€
Cakewalk Sonar X1 Studio, 177€

ProTools is a bit out of my price range which can be seen from above. So what do you recommend? To me Sonar X1 seems to be the best deal when it comes to price vs features?
Reaper. A home license is $60 and honestly, out of the DAWS I've used (Cubase and Logic) it's at least on par with Logic. The only downside is you don't get all the synths that you do with Logic or Cubase.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Feb 10, 2012,
Quote by ChemicalFire
Reaper. A home license is $60 and honestly, out of the DAWS I've used (Cubase and Logic) it's at least on par with Logic. The only downside is you don't get all the synths that you do with Logic or Cubase.

This. Reaper is great and the trial lasts forever. If you decide to buy it, since its only $60, that frees up a lot of extra money you would've spent on the inferior versions of the DAWs you're looking at, for some high quality synth plugins, if needed.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Reaper

Then when you get a shit ton of cash, Pro Tools
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Ok, it seems I hate to take a closer look at this Reaper. Seems like it's very popular. I've heard good things about it but have kinda forgot about it. Price is at least very nice bonus!
I do like Reaper, but Sonar X1 really is excellent. It's become my DAW of choice now, though I've worked extensively in Cubase, Studio One and REAPER.

My advice; download the free trials of Live 8, Cubase, Sonar, REAPER, Studio One, and anything else that takes your fancy, and have a good play with them all.
Yeah, maybe I'll do that although Reaper is already starting to look more and more promising. Maybe I'll take a closer look at Sonar X1 and Reaper. The others are that much more expensive so I'd prefer to get one of the cheaper ones.
Reaper

I've got Pro Tools 9, Studio One 2 Pro, Cubase 6 and Reaper and I still tend to use Reaper over all the expensive ones.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I like Studio One and Cubase. I prefer Cubase. Reaper's looking good these days though, might give that a try.
I downloaded Reaper demo and Studio One demo and SO is hands down the easiest DAW I've ever worked with! It was better than any previous software I've used.
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
Quote by drying out
I downloaded Reaper demo and Studio One demo and SO is hands down the easiest DAW I've ever worked with! It was better than any previous software I've used.

I agree with that. Incredibly user-friendly, lovely UI and sensibly laid out.

However, removing VST support from the reasonably-priced 'Artist' version is a total dick move and for that reason alone I will not support them.
Quote by kyle62

However, removing VST support from the reasonably-priced 'Artist' version is a total dick move and for that reason alone I will not support them.

How on earth is that a dick move? They have to cut down the features in one way or another, and instead of limiting the number of tracks they chose to go down this way.

Wrong move? Debatable, but certainly not a "dick move" worthy of never supporting them.
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
Quote by drying out
How on earth is that a dick move? They have to cut down the features in one way or another, and instead of limiting the number of tracks they chose to go down this way.

Wrong move? Debatable, but certainly not a "dick move" worthy of never supporting them.

Considering VST plugins are the most widely used plug ins in audio engineering I would in fact say that it's more of a completely crippling move, rather than a dick move.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by kyle62

For those of us who have a collection of great plugins, maybe, but the plugins supplied with Studio One are by far the best I've ever seen stock in a DAW. Those synths in it are pretty great, as are the EQs, effects, etc.

I find SO horribly anti-intuitive to my workflow, but for a beginner, it's probably quite easy to pick up, I'm just used to doing things one way and SO confuses the hell out of me on how to do them

FWIW, I use SO just for some of the effects and instruments it comes with. I'll import MIDI or raw .wavs in there to process and then bounce them out into Reaper. The reverbs it comes with are fantastic and nothing I've found really even touches them aside from spending a few hundred bucks on top shelf stuff.

Hell, even the presets for instruments in Studio One sound great. As a beginner, they are a really good starting point to build from.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
w0rd, like the ghetto man said
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
I had a quick test with Reaper on weekend and I found it very easy to work with. Managed to record and mix a small test riff very quickly. Of course it requires some learning but I had the feeling that it can do a lot more than what I ever want. I think I've found myself a new DAW but I keep testing it a bit more to get better understanding of it.
Reaper, like any DAW, requires some trial and error and has its own learning curve, but i found once you get your head around the basic workflow of Reaper, the rest comes very easily. The user guide you can download for Reaper is amazing also, pretty much everything you could ever need is in there. Reaper is my current choice DAW with Pro Tools after that so keep working with Reaper and you'll discover that the possibilities with it are endless.
Quote by Poisonouspot
I recomment Logic pro 9 or Adobe Audition

Logic is MAC ONLY (sounds like he's on a PC to me) - I love Logic 9 on my Mac System but on my Windows 7 laptop I use Reaper 4 (and I have others too) almost exclusively. Reaper is a great full featured DAW and doesn't "break the bank". Adobe Audition IMO is so-so...
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Thanks for all the recommendations. I've decided to go for the Reaper. Without your recommendations I wouldn't have even considered it. That would've been a shame.