i own a marshall mg15fx and i play rock songs like metallica guns n roses etc im thinking of buying a distortion pedal that good for heavy playing and soloing. some people recommended the boss mt2? wt would u guys say?
I would recommend you put the money towards a new amp
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by Paddy McK
I would recommend you put the money towards a new amp

+1

The MG generally sucks, and spending money on pedals to go into it would be a waste of time and money.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
post the info from THIS thread in here, and we can help you find the right amp.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

And so it goes
We were all noobs once.

Quote by jpatan
post the info from THIS thread in here, and we can help you find the right amp.

This.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
the thread seems to be closed. which amp can i buy in a price range of $200-300?
For $200-300, if you want an amp that'll do metallica/guns 'n roses, you could get away with a Peavey Valveking, but you would also want to buy a cheap overdrive pedal (Boss SD-1, Ibanez TS-7, or DigiTech Bad Monkey). I don't like recommending modeling amps, but if you don't want to mess with tubes and pedals the Roland Cube or Peavey Vypyr series of amps would be good too.
yeah it's an informational thread. Answer the questions asked in that thread in this thread so we can have an idea of what you need in an amp
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
I would recommend a different amp as well....been there, done that.

But, if you can't afford anything like that, and just want a good distortion pedal, I'd recommend the Boss MetalCore pedal over the MT-2.

I used to have an MG 100 half-stack with an MT-2 as my main metal tone (...allows time for the laughter to settle... )

Anyway, that pedal can work, but it'll always sound fizzy and you have to run the bass dimed to get enough low-end out of it. It wasn't the worst sound in the world for what I play; predominantly black metal, but I could have done a lot better.

Where was I going with this? Oh yeah, I A/B'd a Boss Metalcore vs. an MT-2 in my local music store a month or so ago and the MetalCore definitely had a much heavier, ballsy sound to it, with less fizziness. So I'd look into one of those if I were you.

But ultimately, I wouldn't spend a lot of time with your MG, you can do a whole lot better, for not a whole lot of money. *CoughPeaveyValvekingCough**
Last edited by KailM at Feb 10, 2012,
my budget is around $200-300. i mostly play metallica guns n roses iron maiden etc i want a new amp and good distortion pedal or a multieffects processor like the behringer v amp. currently i have a marshall mg15fx with a zoom 505ii and in a few days ill have an ibanez rg350m.
If you're in the US: Preferrably Peavey Ultra combo and a Bad Monkey or a Valveking and a Bad Monkey.

In the UK: Try to find a used Laney VC50.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Id advise against the Valveking. It's a good amp, but for the kind of music you want to play, you may outgrow it too easily. I think the ultra combo is a better choice for a peavey in that price range as well, but there are many great amps to choose from. Go to a local store and play them all.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Feb 10, 2012,