Hey guys, I'm a big fan of At the Gates, Dark Tranquility, Bloodbath, etc., and I'd like to be able to get the tone of some of their stuff.

Specifically, that buzzsaw, angry bees (in a good way; angry mutant bees on steroids) filthy tone. I know a lot of those bands used the Boss HM-2, but I'm trying to find out if that will be enough.

If I run that through my 6505+'s clean channel, will that get me close? This will not be my main tone, just more of a fun addition to my pedalboard for when I play death metal riffs and such.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
It's a pretty distorted pedal, I would say that it will definitely get "that" sound, though some bands ran it over a dirty channel, others clean, and all sorts of in betweens. Try it out different ways, I think to get a really nasty sound you have to run that sort of thing over a dirty channel, let it get nice and raunchy.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Nope. Dial in a medium-high gain tone on the overdrive channel and boost it.

I might be wrong, but I'm Swedish, trust me anyway.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by AtaBorMan
Nope. Dial in a medium-high gain tone on the overdrive channel and boost it.

+1

Things sound radically different at higher volumes. Dialing in a heavey high gain sound at low volumes will sound like garbage when cranked.
Axes
Peavey V-Type NTB ST
Peavey PXD 23 II
Jackson JS32T
Ibanez RG 1570
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Royale
ESP LTD EX-50

Amps & Effects
Mesa Boogie Nomad 55
Boss Katana KTN-Head
Roland JC-120
Boss GT-100
Boss ME-80
Zoom G5
Last edited by Pyrax87 at Feb 10, 2012,
@AtaBorMan. Well, I'm 1/4 Swedish; does that allow me to disagree?

I've tried that; I simply can't get that tone with my amp and a boost. I can get awesome tones for other genres, but not quite this specific tone. Really, I'm going for the tone At the Gates had on Slaughter of the Soul.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by Wisthekiller
The way that dementiacaptain described is the way that's known to get the sound.

I might be wrong, but I met a Norwegian guy, trust me anyway.

And I am a quarter norwegian, BLACK norwegian, (not what you think) so trust me!
Quote by KailM

I've tried that; I simply can't get that tone with my amp and a boost. I can get awesome tones for other genres, but not quite this specific tone. Really, I'm going for the tone At the Gates had on Slaughter of the Soul.

I think what he was saying was boost it with the HM-2
The comment about my nationality was merely a joke.

And yes, I meant run the HM-2 through the overdrive channel.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Alright, thanks for the responses guys! So the general consensus is I'll be able to get that sound with nothing more than that pedal, used as a boost?

Cool.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Yes!

Iove my HM-2! I was able to nail Resurrection Through Carnage tone with the HM-2 through one of the clean channels on my Vypyr. Running it through any SS amp will get you there. Running it through a Marshall DSL50 will give you "modern" Bloodbath tone. For the older/ rawer stuff, a Peavey Bandit will absolutely nail it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I thought to get that Swedish Death sound I read somewhere that they turn all the knobs up on the HM-2. Haven't heard anything about amp settings though.

I'm Irish, Italian and German so you know you can't trust me!!!!
At the gates had their Slaughter Of Sould sound with Boss HM2 AND MT2 together into a Peavey solid state. In Flames got something similar with just MT2 into FX return of Valvestate if I am correct.

For Entombed stuff I have read that Peavey 6505 is not really optimal amp for that Entombed sound but you should get close. I remember reading that you should try turning the Presence all the way down. Presence knob, as you know, enhances really high frequencies and cranking the shit out of HM2 has a lot of high frequency noise. Easy on the resonance knob too.

If I can throw a guesstimate from my ass here, can you try these kind of settings? 6505 lead channel, Gain 1 to 3, EQ with some midscoop (too much mids doesnt really work here), presence all the way down. On pedal distortion and level about half-way and low and high cranked. What does it sound like?

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Well, this thread got resurrected. I have since found the tone I was after with the HM-2, through the 6505+.

I run it through the loop, oddly enough, and as a boost. I run the low knob cranked and the high knob at about 9 oclock (any more and it's just too fizzy). I don't run my Tubescreamer at all for this tone. I turn the preamp gain up to around 6-7. On my EQ pedal, I scoop the middle mids out a bit and boost the lower mids. Gain on the HM-2 is absolutely zero'd.

Boom: At the Gates tone on a 6505+! It's actually even a bit gnarlier than their tone, so I can play Entombed and Bloodbath stuff as well.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM

i am 3/4 sweedish and have that pedal. i never use it, honestly but it gets that sound pretty much no matter what you put it in front of, i was boosting it a timmy last time i did it. insane. i really don't like the tone, i just mess around with things here and there.

i keep it because demand is rising and i have space for a small metal box.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
As a side note, the DIST knob effectively does nothing from about the 8 o'clock to 3 o'clock positions from what I remember.
I am a fake mountain.