so far I have,,

a chord and its relative minor.

are there any other approaches to creating similar sounding chords?

(I'm playing for JS tomorrow and I haven't been practicing chords...)
I chord's relatives are III and VI

IV chord's relative is II

V's is VII

But that's just relatives. Substitutions can go way farther. But i'd say it's no use practicing anymore. What is JS?
Pamposh’s final question before drifting into a state of transcendent ecstasy was, “But Master, if everything is an illusion, then why does anything matter?”

To which the master replied, “It may all be an illusion, but it’s a very real illusion.”
Last edited by gynther flynt at Feb 10, 2012,
The I and iii chords also work in a minor key.

If you construct iii chord from the harmonic minor scale you get a IIImaj7 sharp 5 chord
Cm - Ebmaj7 sharp 5

Amongst an augmented triad, it also contains many common tones with the V. So playing Cm - E+, will act as a i - Valt, if the bass was playing a G.
Understand cadences, and then study triads. Basically in a diatonic key, everything more or less operates as sort of an archetype I IV V..

For Example, Em Am and C major are all common I types. A Bdim is a Rootless V7, etc. I can't fully explain this, unless you know your theory. Study diatonic harmony and cadences, and take your time/be patient.

Best,

Sean
^ +1

one of the most important fundamental things i learned was basic 4 part writing, if you can peg that down then the motion of chords becomes fairly self explanatory.