Page 1 of 2
Aside from the body shape an that the strat has a tremolo, what's the difference between these guitars?
ive considered the epi les paul limited edition deluxe and a couple prs se's, but this series caught my eye. Are they any good? If not, what guitars are better for the price???
For the price of a Blacktop or overpriced Epiphone: a used Faded Gibson SG or LP.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
For the price of a Blacktop or overpriced Epiphone: a used Faded Gibson SG or LP.

Yep, which is worse than the epiphone. Comparing a nearly-top epiphone with LOWEST standard of gibson? Nop, I'd get the epi any day.

Blacktops are really good for heavier genres (not usually what fender does) i'd say wait for new ones to come out. NAMM, remember the good stuff?
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Quote by omidmash
Yep, which is worse than the epiphone. Comparing a nearly-top epiphone with LOWEST standard of gibson? Nop, I'd get the epi any day.

Blacktops are really good for heavier genres (not usually what fender does) i'd say wait for new ones to come out. NAMM, remember the good stuff?

Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Yao, did you ever play a faded?
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Quote by omidmash
Yao, did you ever play a faded?

Would I laugh at your comment if I didn't?
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by PandamoniumXT
Aside from the body shape an that the strat has a tremolo, what's the difference between these guitars?
ive considered the epi les paul limited edition deluxe and a couple prs se's, but this series caught my eye. Are they any good? If not, what guitars are better for the price???

there are quite a few blacktop models, check out the website.

http://www.fender.com/products/blacktop#models

i have my eye on the hsh strat.
The Blacktops are very cool if you want a humbucker sound. The are not as powerful as a Gibson or Epi, But its a Fender. Usually Fender players don't want a powerful pickup. The Strat is the only one with coil tapping. Which is very cool, but the volume changes between the single double coil settings. The Jaguar has a 24" scale and plays well. The tele still has a teleish sound ( I would guess that it comes from the string through body). Havent found a marauder yet but i'll be keeping my eyes open. For the price the Blacktops are a good value. Except for the POS tuners on them. I think vintage style F tuners are better.
Well I'll be mostly playing contemporary to rock at my church and I'm into hard rock like skillet (from the late 1990s or the early 2000) or red at home.

I like the strat because it has a tremolo (I love playing with those things) and you can switch from the coil to the humbucker.
Quote by PandamoniumXT
Well I'll be mostly playing contemporary to rock at my church and I'm into hard rock like skillet (from the late 1990s or the early 2000) or red at home.

I like the strat because it has a tremolo (I love playing with those things) and you can switch from the coil to the humbucker.

in that case, get the HSH blacktop strat. it has a single coil in the middle and will give quite a few more tones.
Why not just get an HSS Strat then?
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
If that is the type of sound you want from a Strat style guitar I'd seriously be looking at Charvel instead, which is still a Fender company if that means anything to you. They tend to lack the single though.
I have a blacktop jaguar. It's my main guitar now. I added on a trem from guitar fetish, and I plan on changing the neck pick up at some point (the stock one sounds good, but I prefer the sound of P90s in the neck position). I would recommend the jaguar to anyone. I can't say anything about the other ones since I've only played the jaguar.

Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by k.tripoli
Except for the POS tuners on them. I think vintage style F tuners are better.

I've never had a problem with the tuners on my jaguar. I only have to tune it once every week or so, and it's normally less than a quarter step out of tune. The only times that it's been worse than that are when I first got the trem on it (that problem was fixed when I was able to set the trem up properly) and when I messed up winding the high E onto the tuner post badly.

Maybe I just got a gem, or yours was a lemon.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by JesusCrisp
Why not just get an HSS Strat then?

because superstrats are superstrats for a reason.
Quote by Ashe_Mc
because superstrats are superstrats for a reason.

Fender HSS strat isn't a superstrat
Quote by miio
Fender HSS strat isn't a superstrat

There are varying definitions of the term "superstrat."

In many versions, a HSS Strat, in the traditional shape, is a superstrat (think Charvel Mod 3 and early Jackson Soloists). Just because it has the Fender name does not exclude it from being a superstrat.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by poppameth
If that is the type of sound you want from a Strat style guitar I'd seriously be looking at Charvel instead, which is still a Fender company if that means anything to you. They tend to lack the single though.

Yeah, if I see one of these Blacktop strats, I'm just going to think "It's a strat with humbuckers. Why doesn't it say Charvel on the headstock?"

I have heard that the Blacktops are pretty good, but I haven't played them. Quite a few people think that the pickups are a little too low-output for their tastes though. They may be twin humbucker, but they're still Fender, so don't expect X2N-like output.
Real guitars have a set neck and two potent humbuckers - and are not made in China or by mama-san in some some other third-world asian country working for a few grains of rice per day. If you want cheap, find a used Epi MIK SG or LP and I've even seen some NOS Korean Epi's recently. Epiphone used some well-respected Korean makers like Samick.
EBMM JP6, EBMM Bongo Bass 5-string, Heritage H140CM, ESP Tele Copy, ESP P-Bass Copy, ESP Maverick, Fender HM Strat, Ibanez ST-55, Epiphone Broadway, Taylor 310, Seagull S-12, Musicman Sixty-Five Reverb, Fender HRD, Ampeg B-25B
Quote by Mars Rover
Real guitars have a set neck and two potent humbuckers - and are not made in China or by mama-san in some some other third-world asian country working for a few grains of rice per day. If you want cheap, find a used Epi MIK SG or LP and I've even seen some NOS Korean Epi's recently. Epiphone used some well-respected Korean makers like Samick.

So much wrong with this comment.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Mars Rover

Are you ****ing serious?

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by Mars Rover

Then what have I been playing for the past 4 years?
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Then what have I been playing for the past 4 years?

You've been playing lies.

Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
You've been playing lies.

Because we all know that Korea is one of the wealthiest states in the world and guitars made there are assembled by highly-skilled technicians who went to Harvard. Otherwise, Mr. "Mars Rover" wouldn't recommend MIK guitars.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I hate the Blacktop Jazzmaster. The rest are okay. A Blacktop Tele with new humbuckers? I'd play the shit out of that.
I went to GC and played around with a blacktop strat this weeken. It was pretty nice, the neck wasnt as thick as most fenders ive played and I was able to get a good SOAD tone out of it. Ive decided that when I can finally get a real fender im getting a blacktop.
Quote by JesusCrisp
So much wrong with this comment.

So Much? OK - Just try to name 10 things wrong!
EBMM JP6, EBMM Bongo Bass 5-string, Heritage H140CM, ESP Tele Copy, ESP P-Bass Copy, ESP Maverick, Fender HM Strat, Ibanez ST-55, Epiphone Broadway, Taylor 310, Seagull S-12, Musicman Sixty-Five Reverb, Fender HRD, Ampeg B-25B
Quote by Mars Rover

I found six things that are objectively wrong to the single thing that was objectively right. There were two subjective clauses that could have gone either way.

1) Real Guitars have Set Necks.

Wrong: "Real Guitars" can have bolt on, neck through or set necks. In fact, set necks may be the worst type of neck joint to use because you don't get the solid piece of wood from the neck through joint, and you don't get the easy replacability of the bolt on.

2) Real Guitars have two potent humbuckers.

Wrong: "Real Guitars" use an assorted of pickup styles, including no humbucker, single humbucker and triple humbucker configurations.

3) Real Guitars are not made in China.

Wrong: Many quality "Real Guitars" are made in China, including Epiphones, (which for some reason you recommend in a Fender Blacktop thread), Jacksons and Ibanez.

4) China is a third world country.

Wrong: A third world country is a country that during the Cold War was not allied with the Western Capitalist countries, or the Eastern Communist Countries. China was notably one of the Eastern Communist Countries and not part of the third world.

5) There are guitars made by "mama-san in some some other third-world asian country"

Wrong: The "Third World" does not exist anymore, though the term is incorrectly used to describe poor developing countries.

6) Samick is a Korean Company

Wrong: Samick is actually an Indonesian company. Their main factory is in Bogor, Indonesia.

7) Epiphone uses well respected Korean guitar manufacturers.

Correct: Though, they no longer sell guitars produced in Korea.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by Mars Rover

1: Real guitars have six strings. The way the neck is connected to the body means nothing.

2: Pickups are as irrelevant as how the neck is attached.

3: A guitar is a guitar no matter where it's made.

4: There is no such thing as a third world country. We're no longer in the cold war. Read this

5: Implying that you're against Asian made guitars, but you're okay with Asian made guitars.
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
1: Real guitars have six strings. The way the neck is connected to the body means nothing.

“Real” may have different meaning to you – I was just stating my preferences. “Cheap” in my post describes me and my gear. I have twice the guitars listed here. Not a gear snob, not a collector. More of a deal finder and having fun doing it. Out of everything, only two cost me more than $350 – the Bongo and the Taylor. Only one was purchased new– the Taylor. Only two of my guitars have bolt necks and I like them – just prefer set necks. All three basses have bolt necks – and I like them. Some required work but no major parts so they're still cheap.

Only one is not USA, MIJ or MIM – the Epi. Believe me, it took about three weeks of soul-searching before I could bring myself to buy this Korean guitar. It was $300, in nearly new condition, with the hard case. They still go for about triple that new-and they're now Chinese, eeww). Now I like it so I recommended a Korean Epiphone.

BTW, Real Acoustic Guitars have bolt necks – like my Taylor, a cheap $900 guitar.
Quote by CBC News

The minimum wage in China ranges from the equivalent of $200 a month in cities like Shanghai and Beijing to the equivalent of $100 a month in the country's poorest provinces.

It's a bit more than a few grains of rice a day isn't it?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I'm pretty sure the set-neck acoustic I played last night is real... It sounded real.
Same as the SG.

And My Les Paul.

As for the Tele... it's a bolt-on and that was real too.

I'm confused.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by Mars Rover
“Real” may have different meaning to you – I was just stating my preferences. “Cheap” in my post describes me and my gear. I have twice the guitars listed here. Not a gear snob, not a collector. More of a deal finder and having fun doing it. Out of everything, only two cost me more than $350 – the Bongo and the Taylor. Only one was purchased new– the Taylor. Only two of my guitars have bolt necks and I like them – just prefer set necks. All three basses have bolt necks – and I like them. Some required work but no major parts so they're still cheap.

Only one is not USA, MIJ or MIM – the Epi. Believe me, it took about three weeks of soul-searching before I could bring myself to buy this Korean guitar. It was $300, in nearly new condition, with the hard case. They still go for about triple that new-and they're now Chinese, eeww). Now I like it so I recommended a Korean Epiphone.

BTW, Real Acoustic Guitars have bolt necks – like my Taylor, a cheap $900 guitar.

You're weird.

You have no right to tell anyone what "real" is. Period. If only one of your guitars costs over 350$ dollars, I don't think you've ever really owned a "real" guitar.

You can "prefer" something. Just don't go around spewing this "real" nonsense.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
You're weird.

You have no right to tell anyone what "real" is. Period. If only one of your guitars costs over 350$ dollars, I don't think you've ever really owned a "real" guitar.

^ This - and my signature...
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
I detect a troll...
on a somewhat more related note, I approve of that blacktop strat.
^ 'Real guitars' eh? So I guess practically all Fenders aren't 'real guitars' then. Seriously I don't even ****ing understand how you came to the conclusion that if guitars don't have 'potent' humbuckers and a set neck that they are not real guitars.

But to the ts, I've played a blacktop tele and strat and they were really great. If I didn't have 20 other guitars I want then I would probably get one :P
Last edited by op4blushift at Feb 15, 2012,
Quote by valennic
You're weird.

Weird Huh? Well it's not easy being weird but as long as this is coming down to name-calling, some of you dudes are WAY too sensitive. :*(
UG needs a cryin' smiley.
Quote by Mars Rover
Weird Huh? Well it's not easy being weird but as long as this is coming down to name-calling, some of you dudes are WAY too sensitive. :*(
UG needs a cryin' smiley.

It has one

Now use it all the time

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by Mars Rover

You're either a troll, or a very strange, little man.
Quote by L2112Lif
Page 1 of 2