So I've been thinking about upgrading to a new amp lately. I've only ever used my crappy Line 6 Spider 3 practice amp, but now I'm thinking about upgrading to a tube amp which can double as a practice/gig amp.

As I said I'm looking for a tube amp, here's some of the general info:

- $800-$1300 budget
- Preferably new condition
- Play styles are metal, hard rock and some cleans
- Live in Canada

Now, I've seen a lot of info for genre specific amps, but curious to know if there are some amps which would be suitable for high gain playing, but would also be able to handle the odd clean. I'm not looking for the 'best of both worlds.' If they exist, great, but if not I'm looking more for a jack of all trades. As a reference point, I'm aiming for an In Flames tone from their earlier records (Jester Race, Whoracle).
I doubt I'd go any higher than 2x12s and i'd probably be fine with a single 12.

Any suggestions?

On a side note, I've always wondered what others opinions are of using headphones on an amp. Does it change the tone at all for you?
Quote by Minivirus2
On a side note, I've always wondered what others opinions are of using headphones on an amp. Does it change the tone at all for you?

Headphones are just a big 'no', as far as I'm concerned.

Most serious tube amps don't have any kind of headphone output anyway, and even if they do the speaker cab emulation is usually rubbish. Headphones with modellers/software is fine, but not with an amp.

Is this primarily for gigging or home use?
A Peavey JSX or 3120 should do the trick. You could get either one used for Under $800.

Cab-wise, Avatar makes good cabs for decent prices. You could find one used on Ebay too if you'd prefer.
Hagstrom Swede w/Bare Knuckle Black Dogs
Peavey JSX
Avatar Contemporary 2x12 (Celestion V30/G12K100)
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Dunlop DVP1 Volume
JHS Sweet Tea
TC Electronic Corona Chorus
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Digitech Hardwire RV-7 Reverb