I've heard that if you put a certain tube in the v1 slot, it'll be much quieter...any truth to that? Know which tube? I dont know if the noise if louder than it should be, not a ton of experience with tube amps, but its loud enough to annoy everyone in between songs (at practice anyway)...i usually switch to the clean channel between songs....
Maybe your gain is just set too high?
Other than that a certain noise level is normal for high gain amps.

If you have some money, just buy a noise gate and put it in the FX-loop, will solve your problem.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
When I turn the guitar volume to 0 plugged into my JVM205H, I get sports radio :P

Makes my cover of Cult of Personality slightly more authentic; I'm not complaining.
Thanks JesusCrisp, i have an ips decimator on the pedal board, i'm gonna try it in the effects loop and see what it does....do some people use 2? One in front and one in back?
Quote by tostrhed
Thanks JesusCrisp, i have an ips decimator on the pedal board, i'm gonna try it in the effects loop and see what it does....do some people use 2? One in front and one in back?

I don't know why you would need 2 of them.

You usually put the gate in the FX-loop so it eliminates the noise your guitar and the amp's preamp makes.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
+1 to noise gate in FX loop.

As far as a V1 tube to lower noise, you can find some JAN (military-spec) 5751 tubes (a lower-gain replacement for a 12ax7) for a decent price, especially on ebay. I put some in my Peavey Ultra, which was pretty noisy, and they really lowered the noise floor. If anything, they'll allow you to set the threshold on your Decimator a bit lower. Philips made the best 5751, but GE tubes were pretty good too.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
You could try a JJ ECC803. They are a low noise tube and they sound very nice in V1 of pretty much any Marshall.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification