Is singing through a P.A system the same as hearing yourself recorded, also does anyone have any suggestions of things you can do at home to get used to your voice through a P.A system. I'm lining up shows for my acoustic project and i really have not ever used a mic before and i am worried hearing my own voice will mess me up, but most singers need to hear their voice. why is that?
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Quote by Cloudkicker
Is singing through a P.A system the same as hearing yourself recorded, also does anyone have any suggestions of things you can do at home to get used to your voice through a P.A system. I'm lining up shows for my acoustic project and i really have not ever used a mic before and i am worried hearing my own voice will mess me up, but most singers need to hear their voice. why is that?

Well, you most likely won't be hearing your voice through the P.A., but the stage monitors... you need to be able to listen to yourself in order to be able to keep in tune, make sure you are not going off key, etc...

I've been seeing your posts here for a while, and I gotta ask: how long have you been playing? how much experience do you have?
Cause sometimes it seems like you are not quite ready to be doing serious gigs all by yourself
Quote by Xiaoxi
The Byzantine scale was useful until the Ottoman scale came around and totally annihilated it.
Quote by mrkeka
Well, you most likely won't be hearing your voice through the P.A., but the stage monitors... you need to be able to listen to yourself in order to be able to keep in tune, make sure you are not going off key, etc...

I've been seeing your posts here for a while, and I gotta ask: how long have you been playing? how much experience do you have?
Cause sometimes it seems like you are not quite ready to be doing serious gigs all by yourself

the gigs are not really that serious, just the coffee shop scene. I just only recently have started "seriously" singing. But i think i have a lot of questions because i really have no solid background in music, i am self taught for almost a year now and i know what sounds good and how to make it.
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Singing through a PA is different.

It's not that different. You'll figure it out the way everyone else does: by doing it.
There's no specific method, you just get over it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
First thing is this... Nobody likes the sound of their own voice... recorded, or through a PA.... but.. As Mrkeka stated.. you need to hear yourself to stay in tune with what you're playing..

Find your spacing between your mouth and the Microphone... don't eat it, or nobody will understand what your saying, and too far away, and nobody will hear you... bout 1 to 3 inches away is good.... Adjust the volume on the PA accordingly..

Monitor placement should be directy in front of you, or to the side pointing up at your face if space is a problem... make sure that the Mic is pointing away from the monitor or feedback will be an issue...

Have fun..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!