Hello guys, how are you? I just joined a latin music band and the other guitarist wants to buy a new amp for both gigging and recording.

Budget: around $600 USD
Genres: reggae, ska, rock, dance hall, dub, latin
Used since we can get something better for less money.
Practicing and gigging.
Current gear: Ibanez RG, Boss BF-3, Line 6 POD (Recommend us a Wah and a matching overdrive for the amp you suggest).

Another considerations: All tube, easy to dial, easy to carry around. Notice that musical equipment is more expensive around here.

Brands around here: Fender (we are actually considering a Quadverb and a Bassman Silverface), Peavey, Egnater, Laney, Orange.

EDIT: updated.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Feb 13, 2012,
Maybe something like a Fender HRD or Blues Deluxe.
For the OD, if you want something Marshall sounding: Rothwell Hellbender or Fulltone OCD
Wah: Ibanez WH10V2, Vox Big Bad Wah, Dunlop 535Q or maybe the Hendrix Crybaby.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Thanks, actually he likes Fender a lot. About the wah I think he's gonna get the original Cry Baby. What about an Egnater Rebel or an Orange Tiny Terror, are those powerful enough for playing live? Is the Fender Quadverb a nice option?

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
Quote by Perverockstar69
Thanks, actually he likes Fender a lot. About the wah I think he's gonna get the original Cry Baby. What about an Egnater Rebel or an Orange Tiny Terror, are those powerful enough for playing live? Is the Fender Quadverb a nice option?

Any of the Rebel amps should be loud enough, but the more watts you can get, the better if you want a good clean tone. I would go for the 30 watt version for sure. The Rebel 20 and Tiny Terror would be loud enough, but wouldn't have pristine cleans at those volumes. I would suggest you steer clear of the Original Crybaby unless you plan on doing some modding to it. They require some work to get them in par with other wahs. At minimum, a True Bypass mod, although a Fasel inductor and a few other smaller changes are still necessary for it to really shine. If you aren't good with a soldering iron or electronics, I would recommend you buy a different wah.
Well, we decided to get the Cry Baby Classic instead, it has a Fasel inductor and we know some folks around here who can make it true bypass. Absolutely pristine cleans are not extremely necessary but desired anyway, we are looking around 30w to 60w. Main differences between the Hot Rod Deluxe and the Hot Rod Deville besides wattage? I have heard/read the new models have a better drive channel, how much of this is true? I forgot, we can get Laney amps too .

EDIT: BTW, we can get a Fender Bassman Silverface 50w head and cab for cheap. What about those?

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Feb 12, 2012,
Quote by Perverockstar69
Well, we decided to get the Cry Baby Classic instead, it has a Fasel inductor and we know some folks around here who can make it true bypass. Absolutely pristine cleans are not extremely necessary but desired anyway, we are looking around 30w to 60w. Main differences between the Hot Rod Deluxe and the Hot Rod Deville besides wattage? I have heard/read the new models have a better drive channel, how much of this is true? I forgot, we can get Laney amps too .

EDIT: BTW, we can get a Fender Bassman Silverface 50w head and cab for cheap. What about those?

the price of modding the dunlop would be better spent on a fulltone clyde or something from RMC. if you are patient you will find one at a good choice.

i picked up my clyde for $90 shipped off of TGP with box and papers.

i have a silverface 1968 AB165, but its modded to hell and back and i got to open it up to see what has been done. it does have mercury magnetic transformers in it though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Feb 13, 2012,
Were we live is really hard to afford one of those wahs (currency, shipping, etc.). For now is the most my friend is able to spend on a wah (we can still afford the WH10V2 though, we'll check on that, thank you). Still trying to choose an amp, he will be able to try the Bassman maybe next week, I'll be maybe getting a cab for my Royal Atlantic too, hope everything goes ok. Any more info about the questions we made about amps guys? Thank you all for your answers.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Feb 13, 2012,
I'd get a Fender if you can find one. Otherwise, look at the Egnater Tweaker or the Peavey Classic 30.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Yeah, but which Fender? Nobody answering my questions about fender amps.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
Already ordered the Ibanez WH10V2, he's getting it this thursday. Ill review it. Still need help on choosing an amp.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
I'd say get a Rebel 30.

Really nice cleans and good drive channel, you don't actually need pedals for the distorted tones with the Rebel IMO.
Have one myself and it's a great little amp.

... or I'm just biased.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Nice, we'll check on that! Thank you, you are being really helpful.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
Quote by JesusCrisp
I'd say get a Rebel 30.

Really nice cleans and good drive channel, you don't actually need pedals for the distorted tones with the Rebel IMO.
Have one myself and it's a great little amp.

... or I'm just biased.

Just got one yesterday

Fender HRD?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
What about a Carvin Nomad? We found a retailer online and it seems a nice amp.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
fender would be a great choice. if you are going with vintage ones you can get a couple different models for around that price range. bassmans are great, sometimes you'll get fender snobs who will say only a small window of amps are the only ones worth getting but thats not true. i've recently played through a head+cab band master which is similar to the bassman, but the bassman is actually better. you'll love the bassman, i was actually going to recommend something like a deluxe reverb or even a twin, depending on what you want as far as volume. but the DR is simple, easy to transport and it's one of the best amps you can get.

i wouldn't bother with the hot ros or blues jrs, normally i would but he's already looking at an old bassman, that means you have more interest in fender than anything else, which means you can just skip over those models. they're solid and reliable amps, but theyre nothing compared to their grandparents
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Great! Thank you on that info. Would it take pedals nicely? We are both using some indiscriminately .

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
yeah, fenders handle pedals like a boss, especially the DR and the twin
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface