Alright, I need a little help trying to get a tone I'm looking for, so here's the rundown of what I'm looking at. I've got an unnamed SG copy that I bought off of a friend, and I want to outfit it into a killer rock and blues rhythm player. I'm slapping some heavier strings on it, somewhere around .11's at the very least. However, I want to get a little more complicated:

• I'm considering buying a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat or two to get a p90 tone of sorts in this little SG without special routing
  • My current amp is a cheap one that I cannot remember the name for, but I'm looking to find either a nice VOX or Marshall in a reasonable price range
  • For pedals, I have none. However, I'm looking to add at least a Tube Screamer and/or a fuzz pedal, and possibly a Boss FBM Bassman pedal (because I'm too poor to buy a '60s Bassman head)

So those are my gear plans. I'm not exactly flowing with money, but I'm willing to patiently stockpile these things over time.

As for the tone I'm aiming for, I would like something thick and powerful. I play primarily in an open-chorded style, and I play far more rhythm than lead. I'm angling for a Malcolm Young, AC/DC-style tone for this guitar, except with a little bit of a p90 bite instead of the sound of humbuckers or filtertrons.

So, my question to you fine folks...
With this set-up, would I be on my way to the tone I'm aiming for? What could I add in the way of pedals or hardware to this to make it closer to an AC/DC style tone?
Quote by Delboyuk_01
Forget the pedals, but are the amps you're looking at tube?

yea.. the amp is pretty important...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
well, for an ACDC tone, you need a 100 watt marshall (Angus typically uses a 1959 reissue) and a humbucker loaded guitar. no pedals needed really.

depending on your budget, you really could do anything from a cheaper tube marshall (like an MA50, which is about $750 for a combo or $700 for a head) to a better JVM or 1959 (about $2250 each)
I'd love to get a Marshall, but sometimes the budget don't allow it.... =/

I love a bit of a Fender Bassman tone as well, and because of that, I'd love to get a head to go with some Marshalls (once I'm rolling in dough)...

I'm not looking for a larger amp at the moment, but rather a medium or small practice amp that I can run through a recording interface. A guy at Guitar Center suggested I pick up a Fender Mustang I, in terms of cheaper amps, since he said they were out of small Marshall amps at the time. Anyone heard good things about that particular amp?
I'm looking preferably for something with an 12AX7 preamp tube in it, because the amp simulator I've been using sounds best (to my ears) with it. I was looking at a Fender Vibro Champ or something similar, because the size doesn't bother me. Anybody play that amp?
Quote by b_80_h
I'm looking preferably for something with an 12AX7 preamp tube in it, because the amp simulator I've been using sounds best (to my ears) with it. I was looking at a Fender Vibro Champ or something similar, because the size doesn't bother me. Anybody play that amp?

first off, don't base your purchase on what your amp simulator says. unless its a really good one (in which case, I'd wonder why you wanted an amp), it won't sound the same.

couple questions:
-whats your budget?
-are you gigging? just jamming at home?
Quote by redandwhite12
This man speaks the truth. Unless your guitar is unplayable, amps are the way to go.

word

Quote by krehzeekid
well, for an ACDC tone, you need a 100 watt marshall (Angus typically uses a 1959 reissue) and a humbucker loaded guitar. no pedals needed really.

nah not really

i mean i can get fairly close with my 18 watt clone

you just need something with a vintage marshall type of distortion

don't get me wrong- what you're saying is probably true if you're absolutely trying to nail his tone. But if you just want to get into the ballpark with something that sounds "good", then you don't need to be as close as that.

Quote by b_80_h
I'd love to get a Marshall, but sometimes the budget don't allow it.... =/

dude i totted up the total cost of all the things you were looking to buy there and you could easily get a tube amp which'll do what you want

as opposed to getting all the stuff you want which won't

you're doing the equivalent of spending ferrari money to outfit your lada with fancy wheels, trim, spoiler and radio. as opposed to just buying the ferrari.

Quote by b_80_h

99% of all guitar tube amps use a 12ax7.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?