I've noticed guitars from the 80s still being played today from players and shops and I've noticed the Fender stratocaster worn look is almost exclusive.
I haven't really seen Ibanez or Jackson guitars having that worn paint look. The dings and bumps/scratches yes.

I was wondering if Fender uses a different kind of paint or uses thinner coats or what not.
more expensive fenders use nitrocellulose

it wears

ibanez, jackson and people like that probably use poly

it doesn't
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Even my 2011 MIA Strat uses a poly coat now, sadly.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by cdr_salamander

Still it's a thinner kind of polyurethane finish, not the thick polyester lots of very cheap guitars have.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Yes, strats used to use a very thin layer of nitro. Some of the solid color guitars did not even have clear coat on them. It's a delicate finish that wears over time. Most other guitars use polyurethane.
Quote by cdr_salamander

I think that's great. The polyurethane finish on the American Standard & Deluxs seems to be really thin, so I guess it doesn't make THAT much difference. I have two American Standards (Strat & Tele) and they're both very resonant. It's a big difference between a good poly finish and a bad one - MIM Standard's has an incredibly thick layer of polyester, for example.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
If you buy a nitro finished Fender it's still got a base coat of poly.
AFAIK the newer nitro finishes on Fenders are more for feel than for actual historical accuracy.

The Custom Shop guitars are likely different.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.