I recently had a chance to play through a Tubeworks guitar head, and I've been looking to purchase one, but can't find any.

Does anybody know of something similar, but easier to find? It's a standard solid-state amp, but it has a single tube in the preamp.

----edit

Here's a picture of the amp head I'm talking about.

So basically, I'm just wondering if anybody knows of a hybrid guitar head with a similar feel to this one that isn't so hard to locate, as this particular head was only built during the 90's. I mean, if I have to, I'll probably find one of the Genz Benz Diablos, but the person that owned the head I played on said that they payed 100 bucks for theirs, and it sounded wonderful. As such, I'm looking to spend like ~250 bucks if I can, rather than 500 for a new version.
Last edited by Calymos at Feb 10, 2012,
I've heard Tubeworks all-tube stuff was supposed to be pretty good, but I've never seen any, not even on fleabay. They're effect pedals are much easier to come by from what I can tell, but I'm unsure how they sound.

You could probably find a used Diablo head for about $300-400 if you look...
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
They made AWESOME SS poweramps for rack preamps, with a control to dial in that "spongy" feeling.

Not sure about this head.

It's interesting to note that Genz Benz owns tubeworks.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
They made AWESOME SS poweramps for rack preamps, with a control to dial in that "spongy" feeling.

Not sure about this head.

It's interesting to note that Genz Benz owns tubeworks.

Hm, I'll have to look into that. I'm not sure if I can swing the budget for a rack setup quite yet, but it'd be cool.

Quote by Quinlan
I've heard Tubeworks all-tube stuff was supposed to be pretty good, but I've never seen any, not even on fleabay. They're effect pedals are much easier to come by from what I can tell, but I'm unsure how they sound.

I still haven't gotten a chance to play a full tube one, but I bet it sounds fantastic. The one I played sounded pretty badass for a 100$ purchase, it was reminiscent of the 6505's that I've played in the past couple of months. Not quite as good, but I mean, but for 100$ compared to 1600$, it was pretty damn impressive.

So does anybody know of any similar brands or anything? Other than genz benz, I mean.
I have a Tubeworks TD-752 Tube Driver combo and I like it a lot.
The amps are a lot harder to come by than the pedals for sure.
Quote by Griffin Effects
I have a Tubeworks TD-752 Tube Driver combo and I like it a lot.
The amps are a lot harder to come by than the pedals for sure.

How much did you find it for? Have you tried it VS the halfstack head?
Quote by Calymos
How much did you find it for? Have you tried it VS the halfstack head?

I actually got it for $20 from someone locally. No, I haven't tried them.