Hi guys, as I mentioned in my previous thread im due to perform my 2nd pub gig next week and my Behringer virtube amp (was only £130) solid state amp blew on me after 3 months. So now im looking for a valve amp, but im on a serious budget (the retailer who sold me it, re imbersed me with £130 store credit). Anyone know much amp the Bugera V55HD amp? sound? reliability? I play in a band which covers some rock and would need a nice distortion sound. The ideal amp would be something like the Marshall MA50 but I cant stretch that far. Any advice on the Bugera would be great......
Bugera V55 has some decent classic rock type distortion, for much above that would have to go with a pedal. Great tone for the price.
TBH the marshall MA50 is shit. the speakers arent worth a penny. the Bugera is probably better anyway unless you replace the speakers in an MA50
Bugera are owned by Behringer, although I believe they have slightly higher standards their quiality control still isn't great, they have a reputation for being hard to rely on.

You get a lot of amp for the money, but you're also taking a risk that it'll go wrong on you, as a gigging musician you have to decide if that risk is worth it.

Get the store to reimburse you with cash, not credit, and hit the used market for something you can depend on.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
thanks for the quick feedback, when you say speakers mate do you mean the valve? Sorry im new to this stuff, ive only been playing 6 months (although everyday for 6 months!), also the lead guitarist suggested this as he has a similar model but abit better.

Gary, what woud you suggest on the marker, out of interest I got it from thomann, there any amps on there that I could get apart from the v55. The band itself covers the likes of foo fighters, kings of leon, kasabian ect just to give you guys an idea.
Quote by Smgawt
thanks for the quick feedback, when you say speakers mate do you mean the valve? Sorry im new to this stuff, ive only been playing 6 months (although everyday for 6 months!), also the lead guitarist suggested this as he has a similar model but abit better.

Gary, what woud you suggest on the marker, out of interest I got it from thomann, there any amps on there that I could get apart from the v55. The band itself covers the likes of foo fighters, kings of leon, kasabian ect just to give you guys an idea.

no, i mean the actual speakers. if you buy the head then it should be fine but the speakers in the combo are horrible.
if you already have a cab to use the head with then there shouldnt be a problem.
Quote by Smgawt
ive only been playing 6 months

But you signed up in 2008?

Have you thought about getting a modelling amp? Just with the 3 bands you listed there are some pretty different sounds, so getting a modelling amp like the Vox VT series could potentially work for you.

EDIT - hadn't seen the post about only getting a head when wrote that!

PS - I was brought up not far from you, used to go to Lancaster all the time when I was a kid
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Feb 10, 2012,
yeah bought an acoustic in 2008, didnt touch it for a year and a half then learnt some simple "bonfire songs", moved house, left it again, got a new job, guy in band wanted me to get an electric start playing the rhythm.

so.......looks like its the v55.............
If you go for it, make sure you get a solid warranty with it
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Smgawt
so.......looks like its the v55.............

I'd have to make the mandatory statement:

Remember the fire insurance.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I'd definitely spring for the extended warranty with a bugera. I've seen a hundred posts on here saying their reliability issues have been resolved, but it's hard to shake a bad reputation like that. Though the warranty won't mean shit if it dies at a gig
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
I've had a bugera v55hd for about two years now and I've had no problems with it. I use it for clean tones only, the distortion on it is far from great imo. The cleans are excellent for the price. My rhythm guitarist is using it currently, she likes it too.
Quote by jpatan
I'd definitely spring for the extended warranty with a bugera. I've seen a hundred posts on here saying their reliability issues have been resolved, but it's hard to shake a bad reputation like that. Though the warranty won't mean shit if it dies at a gig

I've seen loads of those too. But you still see just as many comments in those threads questioning it because people had one & it broke - sometimes just a minor fault, but they seem just as likely to screw up completely.

I think they have sorted out the problem where they kept catching on fire though.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
any other good amp in that price range though? options are limited........
What's with all the misinformed Bugera crap? Their amps are some of the most solid and reliable in the price range, the very first ones had some transformer issues which were fixed pretty quickly.

The V55 is a great amp for the price, go for it.
Quote by kyle62
What's with all the misinformed Bugera crap? Their amps are some of the most solid and reliable in the price range, the very first ones had some transformer issues which were fixed pretty quickly.

The V55 is a great amp for the price, go for it.

Same thing as everyone freaking out about the new version of the Xbox 360. The company makes a run of a completely unreliable product and once they fix it, everyone just assumes it's more likely to catch fire since they tried to fix it. Granted there are differences there, but they have base similarities.

I agree that the v55 is a fine choice.
especially as I am going to get it for £205, worth the risk.........
Quote by Smgawt
especially as I am going to get it for £205, worth the risk.........

Yes - whether their reputation is deserved or not, nobody can deny that you're getting a lot of amp for your money.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
yeah, true. Wait for my next thread "blown amp issues"...........hopefully not!!
Quote by GaryBillington
Yes - whether their reputation is deserved or not, nobody can deny that you're getting a lot of amp for your money.

Well said.

Anyone got one of the newer Bugeras with the 'infinium' autobiasing thingy? Looks potentially interesting. Even though I've got a kick-ass little Marshall is still really want a 1990 for some reason.

I'll leave you with an old photoshop of mine:

Quote by StratR96
I've heard good things about the Bugera v22...

i really like my v22. great amp for the price.

the v55 will sound more fendery i think, because of the 6l6 tubes.