During the 80's, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles became a precursor to action-oriented cartoons of the 90's. From the Street Sharks, to Battletoads, to the Biker Mice from Mars, these franchises were some of the defining characteristics of a culture so emerged in electronic media.

What do you feel are the current large, popular media franchises that effect modern youth and beyond today?
Pokemon... I played that shit as a kid and my 8 year old brother plays it... If a company with children's toys can keep the same product for over a decade... Mad props yo
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
Because he's the hero The Pit deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Anus.
Basically, what do I think about modern cartoons? I think they're pretty crap. Only a few are watchable. I guess it's like when I was a kid
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Not exactly a "media franchise" in a conventional sense, but Apple's products have had a major impact on competing brands' smartphone designs. Also, if it weren't for the iPad, the tablet computer market probably wouldn't exist.
Quote by sashki
if it weren't for the iPad, the tablet computer market probably wouldn't exist.
There were tablet PCs long before the iPad. There just wasn't an Apple version until the iPad. The iPad, unlike previous tablets, wasn't just a PC with the tablet feature. (Basically, previous tablets had a program that allowed you to write notes using a special "tablet pen" and a screen that flipped around and locked into place to make it easier to write upon.) The iPad simplified that design and made it smaller. As a result, every other company was forced to make their tablets similar to the iPad. Apple has a history in the last decade of taking products and making them more user friendly.

I guess that's good. However, I'll never buy a low-storage, low power (in terms of computing power) tablet. I'll stick with my lightning fast PC, thanks!

Edit:
OT: Modern cartoons are pure shit! So is a lot of modern anime. (Not all, just a lot.) Give me less of the same old formula and more of something interesting please!
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Feb 10, 2012,
in on an old tablet PC running windows XP at the moment, and it's a pain in the arse. Takes ages to type anything and the handwriting recognition just isn't good enough.

It also weighs as much as and I the some size as a normal laptop but lacks a CD drive which is annoying as hell.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Kids shows today are crap, though that's just my opinion.

First off, 90% Disney live-action semi-drama's about typical American stereotype teenagers, 10% cartoons.

Secondly, the mainstream channels don't broadcast the good shows anymore. If you want to see them, you need to look them up somewhere in the back of your TV guide. But kids prefer to watch what everyone else watches. Keeps them in the group.

It's not just kids shows that are like this. It's all over television. Or atleast, here in the Netherlands it is. The only good shows we get are the highest-profile shows Endemol can get for the lowest price. And then there's the bloody talentshows, fuck me. They just never stop.
Phineas and Ferb is where its at for modern cartoons. Not much else is good. Adventure Time is mostly excellent, with some hit or miss episodes, but all else is complete garbage.
Doesn't Gundam & Dragon ball predate Teenage mutant ninja turtles? I'd say
those 2 series had a way bigger influence than TMNT. Please keep in mind cartoon and anime are essentially the same thing where their from us the only difference.

Semantics aside technology (computers specifically) is the driving force behind everything now, kids at relatively young ages (5-8) can use computers better than most parent. TV and music still play a large role Beats by Dr.Dre is a prime example of both, but really every thing is about keeping up with the times now which is to say technology.
Last edited by BigHeadClan at Feb 10, 2012,
Quote by jgbsmith
in on an old tablet PC running windows XP at the moment, and it's a pain in the arse. Takes ages to type anything and the handwriting recognition just isn't good enough.

It also weighs as much as and I the some size as a normal laptop but lacks a CD drive which is annoying as hell.

That's why no-one was interested the first time around, but technology has improved since then, and Apple made it cool. Now everyone makes them.

Where were the tablets before the iPad? The technology was there, just no-one thought, "Hey let's make a tablet that's essentially a huge smartphone without the phone".
Blues Clues and Spongebob Squarepants were probably the most influential children's shows recently (like 15 years, but it takes a while for influence to show). Blues Clues introduced an "interactive" style of television that addressed the child directly in a way which demanded response and involvement in activities which worked on problem-solving and deductive reasoning skills. It presented these activities in a highly concrete formula of structure and familiarity.

Spongebob Squarepants was hilarious just because it was weird. It didn't rely on the traditional aggressor v. all-powerful target formula established by Looney Tunes. It often reversed the formula presenting Spongebob as an obnoxious, immutable character who we cheer for anyway. Usually he's getting on Squidward's nerves who is completely helpless.

Not to mention the absurd humor that carried over to a lot of Cartoon Network's current programming like Adventure Time, The Marvellous Misadventures of Flapjack, and Regular Show (which is based on a short about two guys doing acid).
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
^I've been watching Adventure Time lately and it doesn't seem to be marketed towards children. They make a lot of sexual suggestions and blatantly swear (though substituting different words in like 'holy fig!'). Also, the humour is also incredibly dry, reminiscent of indie internet comics.

Quote by sashki
That's why no-one was interested the first time around, but technology has improved since then, and Apple made it cool. Now everyone makes them.

Where were the tablets before the iPad? The technology was there, just no-one thought, "Hey let's make a tablet that's essentially a huge smartphone without the phone".

I remember using a palm pilot and some old Windows phone before the smartphones came around. God, that was a trainwreck of a device. Device-wise, Apple was a godsend
Last edited by Cianyx at Feb 10, 2012,
i dont know why they bother making modern cartoons. we already have freakazoid , pinky and the brain and loads of good anime. its pointless
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial