Why is the consensus that thin plectrums are for strumming because they brush against the strings and thick plectrums for picking leads? I've heard one reason is so that the player can really dig into the strings, but that sounds more like a preference than a clear benefit.

I've just bought the esteemed Jazz III plectrums and I've been trying for hours to play with them. I think they're 1.38mm thick. It definitely makes notes sound more defined, but at the price of playability. It's slowed my shreds down a lot. Then I thought, physically, it must be that the thicker the plec the more difficult to play fast with, because there is more distance to cover before you bring the plec to the other side of the string to alternate pick. The sharp point, imo, does NOT help, cuz it just wants to grab onto the strings a little longer. Surely the brushing analogy of thin plecs for strumming would benefit shredders too? But then why does John Petrucci, one of the fastest guitar players I know, play Jazz IIIs?

Just wanted to get some onions on this.
i can play faster with thickerr picks (within reason). they don't bend.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, I think thicker picks are superior for faster playing, and here's why. With a thin pick, it bends on the string, so you must go a little farther to accommodate for the bend in the pick. With thicker picks you don't have to compensate for the pick bend, but you do have the pluck with less of the pick in order to keep from bending the string too far. That could be wrong, but that's my theory on it.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Wouldn't the perfect shredding plec be a thin one that doesn't bend then? Cuz my 1.38mm Jazz III bends easier than my 1.0mm stubby. The reason for that I think is the smaller shape of the stubby (just as a 30cm ruler bends further/is more flexible than a 15cm ruler) and also perhaps because of what it is made of.

These Jazz IIIs just don't seem to be living up to their reputation.
give dunlop nylon 1mm's a try I use them for sweeping, just make sure you get the right angle so it doesn't grab too much and its fine.
I've personally never used Jazz III's, I use the orange Tortex, which is just medium really (.60 compare to the Jazz III 1.38 you mentioned). I've also got a few cactus picks, and only the medium feels right, the thin is way to thin and the heavy pulls the string too much. Medium is the sweet spot for me, no real pick bend interference, but enough slack to keep the attack down. I suppose that it's all preference in the end, so that's that.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
Dunlop Gator Grips .96mm. I love them AND they are purple. But in all seriousness, I've never really liked the jazz picks. Just a preference thing.
My friend and I use Dunlop Jazz III XLs for everything. I think they're the best picks I've ever tried.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

The Jazz III's are, as you say, the 'esteemed' go-to shred pick for when you're just trying out something new. With time, you will (probably) find that you can be more consistent and eventually faster with them. What's lacking right now, is your technique, which is used to the floppy feel of your old picks. Once you get your technique up to par with the stiffness of the JazzIII, you'll be all set and hard pressed to find a pick that better suits you.

Then after a few years, you start looking into different, less conventional picks, and you'll see a world open before your eyes, and find that you can easily start spending more cash on picks than on strings or any other thing.

Also, here's some onions:

Personally, I like the .73mm ones. Buy a few Ultex Sharps in different sizes, everybody prefers a different thickness. There's no real rule but the sharps are great for fast picking. It took me a week or two to get used to pulling pinch harmonics with them after 30 years of using normal Dunlop nylons but I got there.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The Jazz IIIs feel really nice. I want to like them. But has nobody ever realized just how bendy they are?! That can't be helpful for shredding no matter which famous guitar shredder plays them!

The stubby I have is infact a Dunlop 1mm nylon pic, and they're tiny which is just the way I like it. You wouldn't even be able to tell I'm holding a plec, I leave like 1mil of the point exposed. Makes it easier to mute above strings with the thumb of my picking hand and also makes pinch harmonics easier.

But yeah need to order more of em cuz this one is badly worn out.
ultex's are the stiffest regularly available pick.

the 1mm is great.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Oh right, so you have a stiffer pick than the J3 right now?

Disregard the first paragraph of my previous post.

I have to say, though... The Jazz3 doesn't feel at all bendy to me.
It will bend when I make it bend with both hands of course, but it doesn't feel floppy when playing or anything.
Quote by Y00p
The Jazz III's are, as you say, the 'esteemed' go-to shred pick for when you're just trying out something new. With time, you will (probably) find that you can be more consistent and eventually faster with them. What's lacking right now, is your technique, which is used to the floppy feel of your old picks. Once you get your technique up to par with the stiffness of the JazzIII, you'll be all set and hard pressed to find a pick that better suits you.

Then after a few years, you start looking into different, less conventional picks, and you'll see a world open before your eyes, and find that you can easily start spending more cash on picks than on strings or any other thing.

Also, here's some onions:

Seriously the Jazz IIIs are not stiff. I even gave one to my gf to compare to a big blue 1.0mm Dunlop tortex for an independent assessment and she thought the Jazz III were bendier, almost like rubber!

And props for the picture :P
Something which is often overlooked is the LENGTH of plecs. When my mate gave me this stubby I thought it was the shittiest pic that could have ever ended into my hands. At first I could barely hold it, felt like it was getting lost between my fingers. But I had no other pick at that time so I was forced to use it.

After getting used to it my playing instantly sped up. The reason is twofold: smaller pics don't bend as easy, and smaller pics force u to expose less of the pic in your hand so ur hand is closer to the strings, and when ur hand is closer to the strings, u get more control over the strings.
Last edited by BadBanshee at Feb 10, 2012,
I just can't understand how a J3 can feel rubbery, at all.

Are you using the small, red ones?
Small red ones, yap. I was a bit confused when she described them as rubbery too lol but when u bend them they behave like rubber a little. They don't spring back into shape quite as quick as some plastics.
Picks are so godamn cheap. Just go buy a heap of different ones and experiment. We've given you a heap of options now. Go buy one of each. Picks are such a personal preference, what's right for me may be total crap for you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
yeah. i mean even strings are dear enough that you probably don't want to buy 5 or 6 packs (or more) to experiment, not to mention the bother of fitting them. but you can buy 15 picks for hardly any money, and it's no bother trying them like it is with strings. no real reason not to unless you really have no money at all.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm experiencing deja vu.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by R_Gallagher_Fan
Seems crazy but Paul Gilbert uses 0.60mm

Hadn't checked him out 'til now. He may just be my next guitar hero. Damn that sounded cheesy. Do you know exactly what pick he uses?
Quote by BadBanshee
Hadn't checked him out 'til now. He may just be my next guitar hero. Damn that sounded cheesy. Do you know exactly what pick he uses?

If you want a lot more music like that I can find you plenty of it. He uses the orange Dunlop Tortex, which is the same I mentioned that I use. Honestly it's perfect for me, I highly recommend it.

Also, on the note of Paul Gilbert, if you go in the Pit and find the Calling All of the Pit's Musicians competitions, I will soon upload my cover of a Racer X song (the band he was in in his early years), and if you see the Christmas edition of the competition (V6.0 I think), I entered a Mr. Big cover (another band he used to play with and still does on occasion), and won that competition. Wow, that was a long, self-promoting sentence. Anyway, Paul Gilbert, in Racer X, Mr. Big, or solo, is one amazing guitarist.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
I'm not surprised really. I find I can play faster with picks that have a little give to them. I've used .73 picks for my entire career. When I've tried others I always come back to them. That Gilbert might like .60 isn't so odd to me. They are too thin for me but I can imagine how he might like them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yup. .60 or .73 Ultex. I have a drawer full of picks, and every so often, I pull them out for a comparison, then put them all back. I keep going back to the thinner ones. The reason is that I don't do only single note runs. I play plenty of chords, and when playing a chord with an upstroke, I always found that the thicker or smaller picks hindered smoothness. That's all. On a single note line, I can use almost any pick, but not on upstrokes when strumming chords. Sometimes I don't bother to use a pick at all.

It's all a very personal thing. For the price of a few beer, you can buy enough picks to keep you evaluating for weeks, and find your own personal perfect pick.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
man, i love dunlop nylon 1mm picks.

havent tried tortex though, only those mentioned above at different thicknesses and shitty planet waves.
I wish websites would tell us other size measurements for these picks as well as just thickness. I've found a dream website called Stringbusters where I can order one of each type of pick for cheap and they do have loads of different picks!

Has anyone ever tried V-Picks? They're the pricey see-through ones with a tapered edge. Tapered edge might be what I'm looking for cuz I can see why they would flex less, but they might also be my worst nightmare because they could feel like the eroded edges of a worn out pick.
V-picks are great, but slightly on the pricey side. I can't remember the names of the ones I tried, but I tried a few and overall I like them.

The bigger ones sound great on acoustic.

The Insanity pick is fun, nice pick to warm up with.
Quote by R_Gallagher_Fan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFE2YKMjs2U Found Paul Gilbert's awesome Rig Rundown the other night, he talks about the picks there.

I knew they'd leave it to near the end lol. 14:06-

Just realized I actually have an orange tortex tucked away somewhere in my flat. They bend too much.

Thing is he admits that thinner picks are trickier to play fast with and that he uses thinner picks for the tone it gives (and string scratching). I'm looking into the prospect of thinner picks to make fast guitar picking even easier.
Last edited by BadBanshee at Feb 11, 2012,
Can't beat thin picks for pick slides, but for shred & metal I'll take thick picks any day. Used Fender Extra Heavy picks for almost 20 years. Now using Dunlop 2.0mm picks now. Love them.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Dunlop Nylon Big Stubbies are the bomb.

I use 1.0 and 2.0 mm.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.