Hi again. I have a question on C major. I am dipping my toes into the water with Marty Shwartz (sp?) beginner lessons that is an app on my iPad. He goes through A minor, D major, G major, E minor, E major, and A major before getting to C.

I am finding C major incredibly hard to finger because my fingers tend to lay against the other strings. I don't find this happening at all with the other chords. So, are there exercises to stretch my fingers out? I have built up callouses but I feel like I have to press so hard on my cheap guitar, this chord is almost impossible to play correctly. By pressing hard and near the fret, the skin on my fingers (the finger print area) touches other strings. Sounds terrible.

Thanks. You guys have been a huge help to me so far!
Curl your fingers more, line your thumb up with your second fret(on the bad of the neck obviously). And just relax.
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
Relax your fingers and shift them around. Play the chord string by string and make sure that all of the strings sound clearly, if one sounds muted, it's probably because one of your fingers is accidentally touching it, or you aren't pressing down on it hard enough.

Just work on it slowly and keep on practicing switching to that chord, and eventually it will come naturally.
BEST GEAR IN THE WORLD

PRS Santana SE II with Dimarzio DP100 bridge P/up
BOSS ME-50
Fender Frontman 65r
Line 6 Pocket POD
Dunlop Jazz III picks
Make sure you're using the tip of your finger and not the pad of your finger.

Plus, these kind of things tend to work themselves out the more you play and the more you strengthen your fingers.

When I started playing I had so much playing an F chord... Don't even get me started on barre chords!
You need to drop your wrist further under the neck. It's the only geometry that allows your fingers to be at right angles to the fret board. When the finger go straight down, it's much more difficult to touch adjacent strings.

If you're muting strings, your fingers are laying flat across the fret board, and it's a hard habit to break.