I was having a look online for some cabs with vintage 30s, and I found Mesas and Oranges but they were fairly pricey, as expected.

Then I came across a Harley Benton G212 Vintage, which retails £160 whereas the Mesas are £680, and the Oranges are between £350 and £450.

This is a ridiculous difference given that they all contain the same speakers. Is there a reason for this? Of course with Mesa you are paying for a name more than with Harley Benton (I had previously never heard of them). Are the Harley Bentons terrible build quality? Do they use very low end components?

I am looking for a 212 with Vintage 30s... is the Harley Benton too good to be true?

Also, can I use it with either the 6505+ combo or the 6505 head?
Last edited by Random3 at Feb 10, 2012,
No real tricks dude. I've got it, for the price it's a fantastic cab. It's build quality might be lesser than that of an Orange or Mesa, but provided you don't make a habit of throwing your cab around or smashing at it with things you'll be fine.
Cabinets literally are nothing but speakers, wood, and wires. So in my opinion, a lot of the brand name cabs aren't worth it. Unless you can find them used. Because they ARE made of better wood types then some of the cheaper cabs. But some cabs can be cheap that are made with good quality wood. Which improves the sound just a little. Google "avatar cabinets". I've heard a lot of good things about them. Or eBay sells empty cabinets so you'd only have to buy the speakers? I would recommend buying a used decent cab. Even if the speakers aren't exactly what you want. You can always upgrade them later. I found a used Marshall 212 which didn't sound too well with the two stock celestion g12 75's when plugged into my tiny terror. But once I ordered a vintage 30 and put it in there it sounded just as good as any 600 dollar 212 cab. Hope that helped! Good luck!
by the time you read this you will be wasting your time because it doesnt say anything
As far as I know, Thomann sell them at a lower price as its their own brand which they want to promote and they can buy in the V30s at stock price. I know that for me, to buy just the two speakers was more expensive than buying the cab.
Ok thanks guys.

Also regarding using it with what I have now, I can use the ohm switch on my 6505+ combo so I can use it with the Harley cab.

However I am planning on buying a 6505 head which is 120 watts, and the Harley says "120watts/8ohm, 2x 60watts/16ohm" so does this mean I would have to run it at 8 ohms if I was to use the 6505 head?
The reason why there's a dramatic difference in price between them is basically down to build quality but to answer your question yes you can use it with a 6505 head but i'm not entirely sure you can use it with a combo, it may be possible.

Also i've noticed there's a couple on ebay if you wanted to get one even less.

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Quote by Random3
Ok thanks guys.

Also regarding using it with what I have now, I can use the ohm switch on my 6505+ combo so I can use it with the Harley cab.

However I am planning on buying a 6505 head which is 120 watts, and the Harley says "120watts/8ohm, 2x 60watts/16ohm" so does this mean I would have to run it at 8 ohms if I was to use the 6505 head?

yeah

running it at 2x60 watts/16 ohm means running the speakers individually, so you probably wouldn't want to do that anyway unless you had two amps (i guess).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
no it should sound better as you're running through 2 speakers instead of 1

unless you mean will it sound worse at 8 ohms instead of 16, everything else being equal?

in which case... they always say the mojo is in using all the transformer's windings (which 16 ohm impedance does), but i dunno if it's BS or not. I imagine it's pretty subtle if there even is any difference (though i could be wrong).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
no it should sound better as you're running through 2 speakers instead of 1

unless you mean will it sound worse at 8 ohms instead of 16, everything else being equal?

in which case... they always say the mojo is in using all the transformer's windings (which 16 ohm impedance does), but i dunno if it's BS or not. I imagine it's pretty subtle if there even is any difference (though i could be wrong).

About the only thing running at 16 ohms does is attenuate some of the top end. If your amp is a bit ice-picky it can help but the difference is marginal.
The logic is simple. More windings > more inductance > more top end attenuation.
However breathing on the treble control has more effect.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
oh ok

thanks for the info
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?