Poll: Vote
Poll Options
View poll results: Vote
I'd prefer the typical religious afterlife of heaven for good people and hell for bad
25 12%
I'd prefer just some kind of afterlife
77 36%
I'd be equally fine either way; Nothing after you die or an afterlife
32 15%
I prefer the idea of nothing after death
43 20%
I'd prefer immortality
28 13%
Other
8 4%
Voters: 213.
Page 1 of 5
This thread isn't about whether or not you actually believe in an afterlife. Well, sort of, but not really.

If you're a Christian, or of some Abrahamic religion, then you'll probably have your opinion. But, anyways:

Would you prefer that there was an afterlife after death? Or do you prefer the idea of a final end (death) being the end to you, and after death, nothing.

You could be fine with nothing after death, but maybe you think "an afterlife would be awesome, too."

Poll incoming.
I hope there isn't, because I'm almost definitely going to Hell.

In all seriousness, I certainly would like there to be an afterlife. I don't like the idea of a complete and total end.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Last edited by BeefWellington at Feb 10, 2012,
I like the idea of Heaven and eternal happiness and a feeling of completion more than nothingness.

But whatevs. The truth is out there, probably the latter.
Watch Enter The Void. You'll shit spiritual bricks.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I'm fine with it assuming it's not boring or predominantly unpleasant in any way.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
I don't quite fancy an afterlife, though I'd be down for reincarnation.
Sing me to sleep.
Quote by Nelsean

Oh yeah. An afterlife where your past haunts you and you float around and pick a vagina to dive into and be reborn from is definitely awesome.
Quote by aeroslash09
F*ck, forgot to put that in the poll...
I'd rather the afterlife be just like the Tibetan Book of the Dead describes it.

EDIT:

Quote by Nelsean

Basically, this.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Feb 10, 2012,
Quote by aeroslash09

I had no idea Kurtz was a member of this site.
I want there to be a judgement and an afterlife. It would make more people think about the shit they do and make them accountable.
It would be cool if, after death, you could choose whether to just be dead or to experience an afterlife. You'd have to be able to end the afterlife as well though.
I'd like the idea of reincarnation more if this was eras ago. I don't know if I'd want to come back and live for approximately seventy years fifty or so years from now when I die in this life. Not with the way the world's heading now.
Or if I come back as an animal, it'd be even worse considering how much harder it is to survive now than it was before the twentieth century.
Unless you can reincarnate into beings from past eras, but that's extremely unlikely.
If you could feel the feelings of everyone you ever encountered and how they felt each time you interacted with them and be able to understand your relationships you've had, no matter how short or long they lasted, eventually being overcome with whatever ultimate feeling and essence there is at the end would be cool. As long as that ultimate state is peaceful.

Quote by Pagan_Poetry
I'd like the idea of reincarnation more if this was eras ago. I don't know if I'd want to come back and live for approximately seventy years fifty or so years from now when I die in this life. Not with the way the world's heading now.
Or if I come back as an animal, it'd be even worse considering how much harder it is to survive now than it was before the twentieth century.
Unless you can reincarnate into beings from past eras, but that's extremely unlikely.

Why would that be unlikely? Surely if you can become reincarnated, the flow of time must be more complex then we can understand right now.
Last edited by High&Mighty at Feb 10, 2012,
I don't see how anyone would want there to be no afterlife (regardless of whether you believe in one or not). That's some depressing shit right there, to want it to all just come to an end like you never even existed.
id be cool with just an end but of course a cool afterlife would be nice...as long as i dont go to hell or i dunno maybe hell wouldnt be so bad

id be cool with reincarnation but inly to somewhere in the past casue being an animal nowadays is a bitch or being reincarnated into a being in a anothe rplantet might be cool as well...i forgot there might be other life in other planets...hopefully its a cool planet where i could just chill
Last edited by supersac at Feb 10, 2012,
I know I'm going to an awesome afterlife
Dare you to be my friend ........
please?
Quote by High&Mighty

Why would that be unlikely? Surely if you can become reincarnated, the flow of time must be more complex then we can understand right now.

You have a good point.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I'd rather the afterlife be just like the Tibetan Book of the Dead describes it.

I naturally assumed it was. Greatest text I've ever read on the topic.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
I'd like to think that I believe that there's an afterlife, probably something similar to the movie What Dreams May Come, where there's an infinite amount of space and you can do as you wish with it.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
The idea of living forever in paradise is way more appealing than just rotting in the ground.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I would like an afterlife so I can still play guitar and listen to tunes. It feels like there has to be some form of afterlife, it just doesn't make sense that everything would just end so abruptly.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Quote by Seref
I don't see how anyone would want there to be no afterlife (regardless of whether you believe in one or not). That's some depressing shit right there, to want it to all just come to an end like you never even existed.

No, you existed (if by exist you mean whatever all of this is). And in some form you do continue to exist, in the memories of others and in the basic matter that you are composed of. Every cell of your body will continue to be put into use by the universe in some fashion.

I don't really understand why people would want an afterlife, especially a religious one. It sounds like taking a vacation to North Korea, only for eternity. Some crazy zealous despot planning to wage war on majority of humanity (hell has far more people than heaven would) while still claiming to love them and subjecting those he has power over to nothing but blind servitude. And that is supposed to be the place you hope you get into.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
I prefer the reincarnation via your moral alignment type dealios. Then I can come back as a cat.

Quote by palm mute
No, you existed (if by exist you mean whatever all of this is). And in some form you do continue to exist, in the memories of others and in the basic matter that you are composed of. Every cell of your body will continue to be put into use by the universe in some fashion.

I don't really understand why people would want an afterlife, especially a religious one. It sounds like taking a vacation to North Korea, only for eternity. Some crazy zealous despot planning to wage war on majority of humanity (hell has far more people than heaven would) while still claiming to love them and subjecting those he has power over to nothing but blind servitude. And that is supposed to be the place you hope you get into.

I feel like that would make an awesome movie. God Jong Il.
Last edited by btones at Feb 10, 2012,
I would like an afterlife. As long as it's better than this shit.

Something like this brings in a lot of spiritual beliefs, opinions, science and philosophy.

If there's no afterlife you'll be too dead to be disappointed.
If there is an afterlife then good stuff.
So at the end of the day, you might as well life to it's fullest.

As for hell, I don't really believe in it. It defies logic. Eternal damnation? pfft.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Scary thought time.

What if you stay in your body when you die and are stuck in the ground permanently but when buried but remain motionless and just a spirit, and the so called "afterlife" is all just a hallucination to make up for the lack of connection (like lucid dreaming)

Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Scary thought time.

What if you stay in your body when you die and are stuck in the ground permanently but when buried but remain motionless and just a spirit, and the so called "afterlife" is all just a hallucination to make up for the lack of connection (like lucid dreaming)

whoa maaaan what a trip.

/same typical pit response i got when I posted this same thing
I like the idea of an afterlife, even though I'm raised Catholic. I could meet everyone I ever wanted to meet, and smoke as much heaven weed as I want!
this is my signature, and it's purple in bold, you can't do anything about it.
Here's my take on this:

I would only want an afterlife if I was the one choosing when I could end it. If when I started said after life it was like waking up from a dream and you only had a small recollection of your past life except for the awesome things (so the afterlife doesn't technically feel like eternity) that occurred during it. Also, being able to choose which animal to come back as or whether or not to be born as a human being would be unreal (as well as time era selection).

Having it all just end is something I've thought about many times in the past and as I think about it more and more it doesn't seem all that bad. This is only due to the fact that once you die you will have no thoughts, you will have no feelings, no dreams, nothing.... so you will not even be aware of whether or not there was an afterlife. Thus, being unable to say "Wow, I wish there was an afterlife 'cause this shit is bogus".
GEAR:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe
ESP LTD EX-360
Peavey VYPYR 30W

"There's nothing constant in the universe.
All ebb and flow, and every shape that's born,
bears in it's womb, the seeds of change".
Quote by palm mute

I don't really understand why people would want an afterlife, especially a religious one. It sounds like taking a vacation to North Korea, only for eternity.

I thought you were dead Hitchens!
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Scary thought time.

Interesting concept. Basically being comatose but with no chance of ever waking up.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
Quote by Insomnia69
I like the idea of an afterlife, even though I'm raised Catholic. I could meet everyone I ever wanted to meet, and smoke as much heaven weed as I want!

You have high aspirations.

This makes me think though, is heaven just being able to do whatever you want? See everyone you ever want to, do everything that ever gave you joy? I think that would be a horrible heaven.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
A Valhalle would be excellent, but you know, not picky.

Quote by palm_mute
You have high aspirations.

I also see what you did there.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Last edited by Dawginator at Feb 10, 2012,
Page 1 of 5