So I have an epiphone sg that means a lot to me, it was my first "real" guitar, and I'd like to fix her up to where she sounds nice, and looks better. So anyways it's a g400 with a cherry finish, and I'm going to change all of the parts (Knobs, switches etc) to white, and then upgrade the pickups. My 2 main questions are, what pickguard do I need to get to fit it? I'm wanting to play more heavier classic rock songs and was wondering which pickups would be the best for that?

Examples of the tone I am looking for:
Ram jam- black betty
Mountain- Mississippi queen
Kansas- carry on my wayward son
Lynyrd skynyrd- saturday night special OR that smell
Ac dc- back in black

Any suggestions? I'd love to polish this baby into something better seeing how she means a lot to me. I'm a blues player that's trying to transition to rock lol, anyways thanks!
"When the power of love over comes the love of power the world will know peace."
~Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by JakePlaysGuitar at Feb 10, 2012,
i would suggest just saving up for agibson sg because for two reasons one then you have a back up guitar the epiphone and two both AC/DC and lynyrd skynyrd used gibson sg's so you should sound pretty close unless you have a bad amp
Lol I just bought a strat with texas specials not to long ago, that's my "backup" I can't really save up for a guitar, no income comming in.
"When the power of love over comes the love of power the world will know peace."
~Jimi Hendrix
then some pickups i would suggest would be Gibson 498T Humbucker for the bridge and Gibson 490R for the neck each around $100 these are the same pickups used in a Gibson SG
Last edited by dumbface12 at Feb 10, 2012,
Quote by dumbface12
then some pickups i would suggest would be Gibson 498T Humbucker for the bridge and Gibson 490R for the neck each around $100 these are the same pickups used in a Gibson SG

Are you sure gibsons will do the trick? I thought angus used sd pearly gates?
~Jimi Hendrix
^Angus has a signature pickup in the bridge and a 57 classic in the neck.
That's why I would recommend a 57 classic set, to also nail some of the less hard rock tones.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Haha alright thanks, but will the 57 classics still nail that nice humbucking tone? I really dig mississippi queen's tone, it's pure rock!
~Jimi Hendrix
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
Haha alright thanks, but will the 57 classics still nail that nice humbucking tone? I really dig mississippi queen's tone, it's pure rock!

Uhm yes, sure they will. They're humbuckers after all. They break up really well and clean up nicely too.

SD Pearly Gates for bridge isn't a bad option though.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Thanks so much for the advice friend, I'll go with the 7's, and any ideas for the pickguard?
~Jimi Hendrix
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
Thanks so much for the advice friend, I'll go with the 7's, and any ideas for the pickguard?

Why would you want to change the pickguard?
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

From black to white lol
~Jimi Hendrix
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
From black to white lol

Hmm, well I guess you could use any spare pickguard that has the look of "official" SG pickguard, basically any with the right shape and right amount of screw holes. Then, how about the bezels for the pickups?
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

Quote by Sakke
Hmm, well I guess you could use any spare pickguard that has the look of "official" SG pickguard, basically any with the right shape and right amount of screw holes. Then, how about the bezels for the pickups?

What do you mean bezels? Lol sorry kind of a newb.
~Jimi Hendrix
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
What do you mean bezels? Lol sorry kind of a newb.

Umm, the bezels are the ones that you mount your pickups on when they're not directly mounted to the body or to a pickguard.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

Oh alright, thanks for the help guys
~Jimi Hendrix