I wrote this for fun, lemme know what you think, but keep in mind this is grind we are talking about: I know it is short and devoid of any structure or sense, so have that in mind of you are not a fan/familiar with the genre. Influenced by Agoraphobic Nosebleed, Wormrot, Magrudergrind. Not intended to be listened with RSE on. C4C is applied here ofc.
EDIT: Decided to write a couple more songs for phun, and since they're really short I added them to the same GP file.
Attachments:
grindGP5.gp5
grindGP4.gp4
grindMIDI.mid
GRINDWITHMORENEWGRIND.zip
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Last edited by Ometh at Feb 21, 2012,
Quote by Erra93
What's the point of this genre?

Maybe it has a point if you're a fan of it? Maybe the world doesn't revolve around your music taste?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I dig it. I'm not generally a fan of grindcore, but this song is just as long as it has to be, is surprisingly memorable, and doesn't do any of the "swept-arpeggios-harmonized-in-minor-seconds" crap.
Quote by Ometh
Maybe it has a point if you're a fan of it? Maybe the world doesn't revolve around your music taste?

I'm asking because I'd like to understand, while I initally had a douche attitude about it, I decided I'd ask more nicely. So I'd love it if you'd respond accordingly. I just want to know how music that (to me) seems to lack melody can be appealing to others.

I get how it would seem like I was trying to be an ass though.
Last edited by Erra93 at Feb 11, 2012,
Quote by Erra93
I'm asking because I'd like to understand, while I initally had a douche attitude about it, I decided I'd ask more nicely. So I'd love it if you'd respond accordingly. I just want to know how music that (to me) seems to lack melody can be appealing to others.

Same reason why people like those repetitive mainstream radio songs. Because it makes them happy.
Quote by patrickaumon
Same reason why people like those repetitive mainstream radio songs. Because it makes them happy.

Well, I would hope so.. I do enjoy some of the mainstream radio songs though, the ones with nice melodies/beats that are listenable.

Guess it's just personal preference, but it would be cool to know what makes people want to listen to this kind of music. I think it's an interesting subject.

I'm sorry if I sound like an ass, my point is that I know why I like the music that I like and it's because in any song I like there's some kind of melodic melody that I enjoy listening to, a progression that I think sounds sounds great. I just can't find that in grindcore, plus in the grindcore songs I've come across there's always been really immature lyrics as well..

Man, I really don't know how to put it and not sound like a douchebag, and I'm sorry, trust me I'm not dissing, I legitimately want to know
Last edited by Erra93 at Feb 12, 2012,
Well, first off all, I get the fact that you don't "get" the genre: I also had to listen to a bunch of it before I could wrap my head around the microsong concept. The thing is, I see grindcore albums as a whole, so the fact that they have a bunch of 5 second songs doesn't bother me anymore. I would even say it benefits the genre, since most grindcore songs would lose their appeal with a more conventional structure, since each song represents an individual "burst of energy". Also, although there are many grindcore bands with nonsense lyrics, most of them have strong political stances and they express them through their lyrics in a very well written manner: seriously, read the lyrics to any song by Napalm Death.
It is pointless to judge a grindcore band on one song only: *cough*download*cough* From Enslavement to Obliteration and listen to it with an open mind, you might like it.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Erra93
Well, I would hope so.. I do enjoy some of the mainstream radio songs though, the ones with nice melodies/beats that are listenable.

Guess it's just personal preference, but it would be cool to know what makes people want to listen to this kind of music. I think it's an interesting subject.

I'm sorry if I sound like an ass, my point is that I know why I like the music that I like and it's because in any song I like there's some kind of melodic melody that I enjoy listening to, a progression that I think sounds sounds great. I just can't find that in grindcore, plus in the grindcore songs I've come across there's always been really immature lyrics as well..

Man, I really don't know how to put it and not sound like a douchebag, and I'm sorry, trust me I'm not dissing, I legitimately want to know

...It seems like you're a metalcore fan judging by the signature, so tell me what's interesting in metalcore lyrics, in metalcore melodies and in metalcore progressions(pretty much always the same)? ...you like this? No? so ignore it, I pretty much hate metalcore for some reasons, but I don't comment all the song asking why they like that... This kind of music focuses more on the aggressive atmosphere and on the rhythm rather than on the melody, it's very different.

I'm asking because I'd like to understand, while I initally had a douche attitude about it, I decided I'd ask more nicely, why don't you ask this in the correct section of the forum instead of spamming on someone's composition? It's annoying...

------------------------------------

Returning to the song i think it's ok, nothing special but I enjoyed it. It'll be better to hear it with other songs in an album like you said to give a more accurate comment.
R.I.P.
Chuck Schuldiner 1967-2001
Ronnie James Padavona 1942-2010
Darrell Lance Abbott 1966-2004
Jon Nödtveidt 1975-2006
Per Yngve Ohlin 1969-1991
Øystein Aarseth 1968-1993
Joe Ptaceck 1973-2010
Ace Börje Thomas Forsberg 1966-2004
Quote by Simon Blackwing
...It seems like you're a metalcore fan judging by the signature, so tell me what's interesting in metalcore lyrics, in metalcore melodies and in metalcore progressions(pretty much always the same)? ...you like this? No? so ignore it, I pretty much hate metalcore for some reasons, but I don't comment all the song asking why they like that... This kind of music focuses more on the aggressive atmosphere and on the rhythm rather than on the melody, it's very different.

I'm asking because I'd like to understand, while I initally had a douche attitude about it, I decided I'd ask more nicely, why don't you ask this in the correct section of the forum instead of spamming on someone's composition? It's annoying...

------------------------------------

Returning to the song i think it's ok, nothing special but I enjoyed it. It'll be better to hear it with other songs in an album like you said to give a more accurate comment.

Wrote a big post explaining my faulty reasoning, but I realized I might as well just say I'm sorry.
I'm sorry, my claims in my previous posts were pretty immature, I'm actually working on thinking before talking/posting - thanks for calling me out on it

PS. Asking in this thread felt somewhat relevant if I were to crit it :p

Quote by Ometh
Well, first off all, I get the fact that you don't "get" the genre: I also had to listen to a bunch of it before I could wrap my head around the microsong concept. The thing is, I see grindcore albums as a whole, so the fact that they have a bunch of 5 second songs doesn't bother me anymore. I would even say it benefits the genre, since most grindcore songs would lose their appeal with a more conventional structure, since each song represents an individual "burst of energy". Also, although there are many grindcore bands with nonsense lyrics, most of them have strong political stances and they express them through their lyrics in a very well written manner: seriously, read the lyrics to any song by Napalm Death.
It is pointless to judge a grindcore band on one song only: *cough*download*cough* From Enslavement to Obliteration and listen to it with an open mind, you might like it.

I'm sorry mate, didn't know Napalm Death was grindcore. They're definitely legit

And to answer the metalcore questions:
Metalcore appeals to me because it's easy to listen to and the melodies makes my ears happy, I would go more in depth but it doesn't really matter anyway :p
(I mostly listen to progressive metalcore though)

I don't think I'll get in to grindcore though, I'm on my way to more calming music atm, definitely wouldn't dismiss a song I like simply because it's a grindcore song though, I'm not that close-minded

tl;dr I'm trying not to be a douche, but sometimes I talk/post before thinking or while not thinking clearly. :<
Last edited by Erra93 at Feb 12, 2012,
Here we go again with the saccharine compositions.

Thought it was a run-of-the-mill 80s worship crusty grind track. Riffs kind of just sail along nonchalantly without that primal energy that gave life to the anthems of the pioneers (Scum-era Napalm Death, Nuclear Death, even newbies like Insect Warfare) . The song itself doesn't seem to provide a logical conclusion to the ideas presented in the beginning. It has no climax, rather it just cycles through the usual blast parts, d-beats and pedestrian riffs (which even seem to be lifted from old Swedish death metal) that plague numerous imitators.

I give it a D.
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Quote by The Wildchild
The song itself doesn't seem to provide a logical conclusion to the ideas presented in the beginning. It has no climax, rather it just cycles through the usual blast parts, d-beats and pedestrian riffs (which even seem to be lifted from old Swedish death metal) that plague numerous imitators.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but since when has grindcore EVER been about a cohesive structure? Or a climax? Or any musical convention? I'd say that's all completely OPPOSITIONAL to the point of grindcore. Critiquing the song based on those factors is like complaining about the presentation and flavor of food that a chef deliberately burnt to piss his customer off.
Contrary to popular belief, grindcore is not aimless, stupid music. Of course you would need effective song structure to back your feral calls for social strife. Napalm Death used jagged riff sequences and white-knuckle tempos to jar the audience back into reality. (Example: Scum)

Nuclear Death conjured atmospheres of utter morbidity and depravity with a murky cesspool of malformed riffs and clattering drums

Necrobestiality

Here's them incorporating more death metal into their sound to further explore depraved states of mind:

Vampirism

Magrudergrind demonstrates how stupid riffs combined with stupid structuring would add up to stupid, shallow grindcore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFyU6NFrfFM
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Last edited by The Wildchild at Feb 12, 2012,
Quote by The Wildchild
Contrary to popular belief, grindcore is not aimless, stupid music. Of course you would need effective song structure to back your feral calls for social strife. Napalm Death used jagged riff sequences and white-knuckle tempos to jar the audience back into reality.
Nuclear Death conjured atmospheres of utter morbidity and depravity with a murky cesspool of malformed riffs and clattering drums

I don't care to join the debate in this thread because, although I may not be a fan of this genre, I don't feel that it's my place to question other people's music tastes.

However your post has grated on me. It just reeks of pretentiousness. You're not writing a music review, you're talking to some guys on a forum. You could just say it as it is, there's no need to dress up music with interesting adjectives.
My songs are all located here .
Feel free to drop by and crit a song.
Leave a link and I'll return a crit

Colossus
Quote by frankibo
I don't care to join the debate in this thread because, although I may not be a fan of this genre, I don't feel that it's my place to question other people's music tastes.

However your post has grated on me. It just reeks of pretentiousness. You're not writing a music review, you're talking to some guys on a forum. You could just say it as it is, there's no need to dress up music with interesting adjectives.

This. It's also just the fact that we're talking about grindcore, here. Don't get me wrong, I actually like grindcore, but it's not exactly a genre with a lot of musical merit, and it doesn't try to be one. The whole point of grindcore, at least at its inception, was to challenge everything that people knew and liked about music, to make it as abrasive and grating as possible to accompany the abrasive and grating political message it carries. Some people will like it and some people won't. But there is no point in analyzing the structure and theme and variations of grindcore song, even less to COMPLAIN about them. If I recall, Wildchild, you also posted in the last song posted by our friend Ometh here, and all you had to say was insensitive, bitchy complaints both ad hominem and concerning the song. You may feel entitled to this because it's an internet forum, but I assure you, it will not be tolerated.

As for your song, Ometh, I think it's some really solid grind. Recorded it should sound pretty beefy. Not much else to say.
I actually enjoy a lot of grind, so it's always cool to see someone writing this, I'm almost impressed with how "wildchild" re-defined the word pretentious. I enjoyed it, it was a good length, grindcore without vocals often gets repetitive but this didn't, which makes me really want to hear it recorded with some vocals. Felt a bit of a Wormrot vibe to it more than anything else, which is cool cause I love Wormrot. Will have fun learning this later.
Not wanting to needlessly bump my own thread, but I think you guise forgot to post songz for me to crit back lolz.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Enough about genre stuff. Down to music.

First you should delete tracks 1 and 2. They were never used. It will make your score easier to read.
As far as music goes its pretty good. It suits its purpose well.
The drum beat at 12 doesnt work. It puts the snare in a weird place. It works better with the beat at 20.

Other than that great peice.

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1519902
Last edited by corrda00 at Feb 16, 2012,
Ill crit this song by each section

1-5: Just an open chord, no big deal

6-13: I was really digging this pattern \m/

14-19: Good transition to this part. I can see this part coming out super heavy sounding when recorded

32-49: I really like the slide up parts going here. It kinda gives some diversity to every thing had happened before. I think it just sounded kinda bad coming in with the other chord coming in and acting as a harmony at 42-43

50-52: Sweeps. They had to come in at some point, haha.

I think it'd sound cooler to have a definite ending, instead of just dropping off like you have it right now. However, it is grindcore, and it doesn't need to have one :P you can do what you want. Also, the drums just bugged me after awhile. Something about the blasts just sounded off, and they didn't seem to be contributing anything. Just my opinion though.

I enjoyed it for the most part, but there are some things that can be better. Mostly the drums, so I'll give you a 7/10

Crit mine? : https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1520440
Bumpity bump for you guize to check out my new shiz.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Erra93

yeah well this isnt a good example of the genre at all. im someone who listens to the genre and this makes me depressed. check out this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygZc0Hp05_c

its grindcore without vocals so you can listen to the intstruments too

as to why people like it, it is hard to say. i think that there is a melody but maybe your just missing it. first time i listened to allot of this kind of music everything was a blur but my ears are better trained now ahha somthing i love is the drumming in almost any grind esq band they will mostly try to play and create something different rather than a standard beat ahaha. i guess its hard to answer, but its also hard to answer why do people like any kind of music lol
Guise stop spamming my thread with off-topic crap, not to sound rude but there's a PM system you know.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Solid grind friend. Really enjoyed the blast-beat section in the middle. Not very much to crit really, just a straightforward short grind song.