I've decided it's time to re-tube my Bassmaster. I've chosen some solid preamp tubes (Tung-Sol 12AX7) but I haven't come to such a conclusion on my power tubes. I'm looking for some bright KT88s for ~$70/pair. Musical styling flow from blues to hardcore. Other appreciated responses would include references or experiences/preferences (positive and/or negative).

Finally, where do YOU get your tubes?
Fender Jaguar Deluxe > Markbass Little Mark III > GK 410Neo
Guitarists have created an entire religion around tubes, so they might be the best people to ask. A lot of what they claim is utter rubbish, though. According to what some of them would have you believe, they'd need better hearing than a hunting dog to be able to hear the nuances they claim to perceive between different brands of tubes. I seriously doubt that there is much difference between them, but they'll go on for days about plate voltage and whatnot.

That having been said, a lot of people seem to like the offerings from JJ's tubes. I seriously doubt that they're noticeably better or different sounding than the next brand, but they do come highly recommended.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Guitarists have created an entire religion around tubes, so they might be the best people to ask. A lot of what they claim is utter rubbish, though. According to what some of them would have you believe, they'd need better hearing than a hunting dog to be able to hear the nuances they claim to perceive between different brands of tubes. I seriously doubt that there is much difference between them, but they'll go on for days about plate voltage and whatnot.

That having been said, a lot of people seem to like the offerings from JJ's tubes. I seriously doubt that they're noticeably better or different sounding than the next brand, but they do come highly recommended.

This, having several tube amps and trying to dig up information on one let alone purchase one the tube talk drives me batty. It seems along the lines of anything else musical, the older, more obscure and expensive the better it is. Of course sometimes there is reason, but really?? I am astounded by how much myth and fantasy lives on through the musical world, granted I do have a unicorn hair inside my truss rod cavity...

JJ is a good brand, lots of reasons thrown around but here is what I know, for the money, you get exactly what you ask for. Most other modern tubes are made in 3rd world countries and they have ok to down right terrible labeling, buying several 12ax7's could result it a large fluctuation in gain produced by each.

I'd wager most love by them is the fact they can provide better info on their inventory and are pretty nice for the budget. I guess think of it as buying a GE lightbulb over a dollar store 2 for one deal.

In the end, you can get some cheap stuff from GC, JJ's on their online store, or go to Ebay and get a few pairs of Mullard NOS tubes that were used in RAF radios during the blitz for some uber tones.
^thanks guys, the friends I had talked to were guitarist/tonebags, so I guess their views could have been a little extreme.

Quote by askrere

In the end, you can get some cheap stuff from GC, JJ's on their online store, or go to Ebay and get a few pairs of Mullard NOS tubes that were used in RAF radios during the blitz for some uber tones.

Will check for Mullards, <3 uber tones. Thanks again.
Fender Jaguar Deluxe > Markbass Little Mark III > GK 410Neo