Just looking for suggestions on where to put my EQ pedal with my current set up (see below). I currently have the EQ in the loop but I don't understand how the placement affects the sound. I've moved it around a little (e.g. in front of amp, behind it etc..) and haven't noticed a big difference. I am currently playing Opeth to give you a reference of the sound i'm looking for.

Thanks
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Omen 6/AHB-1
Randall RG50TC
TS9/808 Plus Mod
MXR KFK 10-band EQ
If you want to use your EQ to change the amount of distortion put it out front. If you just want to EQ the overall sound stick it in the loop.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you put it before the amp, its going to affect how your guitar hits the amp. This can alter the gain structure, and fix some deficiencies of you pickups. Putting your EQ in the loop makes it more directly change the equalization of the sound thats going to come out of your amp. There is going to be some overlap in the effect this is going to have in your sound, possibly a lot of overlap. But there is somewhat of a difference. I'd leave it in your loop unless your pickups have some frequency deficiencies that are affecting the way it distorts, or something like that.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Thanks for the input guys.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Omen 6/AHB-1
Randall RG50TC
TS9/808 Plus Mod
MXR KFK 10-band EQ