so again after changing my strings on my charvel desolation (this time using the same gauge and all as the strings taht came with it) im getting alot of buzzing...

i've looked at my truss rod... no matter what i do with it, it seems to not do anything... it feels like its loosening and tightening. but i dont seem to get any difference. my action is WAY higher than it needs to be and yet it still buzzes... mostly on the D and G strings... but right now its on the E, A, D, G strings... all frets higher than 12 and on the 2nd frets on the D and G... this problem is really annoying... and idk if there is a guitar tech in my area who can look at it...

If you can find a guitar tech i live in Bridgman MI (49106) and i'm willing to go within 50 miles of there to a shop taht can look at it...

or, if you have an actual solution PLEASE help me... this guitar came in the mail PERFECT... but when i changed the strings the first time it went way out of whack... then just a week ago when i changed them again things only seem to be getting worse...
They all buzz to an extent but it only becomes a problem if you can hear it through the amp and new strings seem like they buzz more because they're still very zingy. About 2mm for the bass side at the 12th fret and a bit lower for the other side is a good sort of aim. Get some gain on it and get it amped up then see how it sounds.

This guitar buzzes like a bitch but I'm heavy handed, can you hear it? (Yeh I know it's not the best soloing)

http://soundcloud.com/twidler/in-c
Last edited by Twidler at Feb 10, 2012,
Quote by dwarf134
so again after changing my strings on my charvel desolation (this time using the same gauge and all as the strings taht came with it) im getting alot of buzzing...

i've looked at my truss rod... no matter what i do with it, it seems to not do anything... it feels like its loosening and tightening. but i dont seem to get any difference. my action is WAY higher than it needs to be and yet it still buzzes... mostly on the D and G strings... but right now its on the E, A, D, G strings... all frets higher than 12 and on the 2nd frets on the D and G... this problem is really annoying... and idk if there is a guitar tech in my area who can look at it...

If you can find a guitar tech i live in Bridgman MI (49106) and i'm willing to go within 50 miles of there to a shop taht can look at it...

or, if you have an actual solution PLEASE help me... this guitar came in the mail PERFECT... but when i changed the strings the first time it went way out of whack... then just a week ago when i changed them again things only seem to be getting worse...

is the tremolo level? the baseplate to the body, parallel? if it is leaning back, slighly unscrew the claw on the back of the guitar, until it works out and you are balanced, vice versa.

truss rod isn't something you just start rotating. most don't recommend turning the truss rod more than a quarter turn. that mainly affects the lower-lower mid range of frets.

if all strings are buzzing the flyod may need to be raised, i am unsure of the cause for the high action with the other notes being fine.

i hope i at least helped somewhat. i know very well what i am doing, but there is only so much you can do to help somebody through text [and smilies].

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
truss rod adjustments can take hours to be totally realized (that is, the guitar has to sit a couple hours before the adjustment is complete), so just twisting the trussrod could cause major issues for you. let the guitar settle down, let the strings stretch a little (new strings tend to be very zingy, and I find they feel a little loose, this may be the cause of your initial issues), and then determine what needs to be done.

also, you're like 30 miles from michigan city, and 90 from chicago, it cant be that hard to find a shop with a tech
Quote by trashedlostfdup
is the tremolo level? the baseplate to the body, parallel? if it is leaning back, slighly unscrew the claw on the back of the guitar, until it works out and you are balanced, vice versa.

truss rod isn't something you just start rotating. most don't recommend turning the truss rod more than a quarter turn. that mainly affects the lower-lower mid range of frets.

if all strings are buzzing the flyod may need to be raised, i am unsure of the cause for the high action with the other notes being fine.

i hope i at least helped somewhat. i know very well what i am doing, but there is only so much you can do to help somebody through text [and smilies].

I dont have the FR version.
Quote by Twidler
They all buzz to an extent but it only becomes a problem if you can hear it through the amp and new strings seem like they buzz more because they're still very zingy. About 2mm for the bass side at the 12th fret and a bit lower for the other side is a good sort of aim. Get some gain on it and get it amped up then see how it sounds.

This guitar buzzes like a bitch but I'm heavy handed, can you hear it? (Yeh I know it's not the best soloing)

http://soundcloud.com/twidler/in-c

ok something about this made me feel alot better... i have it set at what looks like a little over 2mm on bass and about 2mm on the treble... it feels normal and i dont think im hearing any of the buzzing through the amp at this point... but for whatever reason i still hear it on the second fret of the D and if i hit them string somewhat hard at any fret above the 12th on the D it gets buzzy but i dont think its going through the amp... thank you for this... i think you helped me solve this problem!
It is not always fret buzz that you hear. I had an Epiphone that was buzzing like mad, and it ended up being the 2 screws that held the tuner in the headstock. The screw holes were worn out beyond repair so I put in some larger screws, problem solved.

The only way I found out was by constantly hitting the string that was making the worst amount of rattle, and pressing on different parts of the guitar like the pickguard, bridge, and tuners.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
The amount you've screwed around with it, I'd honestly take it to a professional.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
The amount you've screwed around with it, I'd honestly take it to a professional.

help me find one then... i would love to do that but the only places i know of around here are a guitar center in South Bend IN and this place in laporte IN that im not to sure would fix it.
there is a guitar center in Merrillville dude. so give that a look
Quote by Viban
there is a guitar center in Merrillville dude. so give that a look

but thats something else, do they even look at it? and if they do, are they really capable of fixing it? idk if i would trust them with my instrument... although i trusted myself to screw it up so i guess that does say something.
there's a place called Rubino's in that area that does repairs from what I understand
Quote by dwarf134
but thats something else, do they even look at it? and if they do, are they really capable of fixing it?

That's what the point of a set up is. You have to pay them, but they should have an instore tech that does these things. Pretty much every guitar store in the UK does.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
he's not in the uk, he's in michigan, I live in the same area so I can give names of nearby stores.
dude I live in rural georgia and there are two music stores within a thirty minute drive who employ great guitar techs
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
He's maybe not an expert but I think he's doing alright on his own.

OP it's just learning and as long as you don't do anything to drastic you shouldn't break it, I'd google and look through some of the guides on here and see how you get on then if you find you're getting nowhere take it to techy.
1. if it's a trem, is the bridge balanced, level, or flush with the body of the guitar.

2. where is the buzzing which strings and frets? or rattling in the nut cuts.

3. how long have the new strings been on. have they been broken in, holding a tune?

4. measure the necks relief and post back with what fits in the middle gap when you hold the Low E first fret and the 19th fret at the same time.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Feb 11, 2012,
Quote by jj1565
1. if it's a trem, is the bridge balanced, level, or flush with the body of the guitar.

2. where is the buzzing which strings and frets? or rattling in the nut cuts.

3. how long have the new strings been on. have they been broken in, holding a tune?

4. measure the necks relief and post back with what fits in the middle gap when you hold the Low E first fret and the 19th fret at the same time.

Not a trem

the buzzing is occuring mostly on the D string on the second fret. also ALOT on almost all the strings between frets 12 and like 20...

What i've been doing is setting the bridge right at about 2mm on the lowest 3 strings and between 1.5 and 1.8 mm on the first 3 high strings... it starts buzzing quite a bit where i mentioned above... i loosen the truss rod just a tad, the buzzing occurs still on the second fret, and on most frets higher than 16... i've loosened it in small turns almost all the way to the point that i dont feel comfortable loosening anymore... it still happens...

The whole thing that seemed to start this was from the frist time i changed the strings... OBVIOUSLY the entire tail piece came off and for some reason when i put all the strings back on (they were a lower gauge) there was ALOT of buzzing... i thought it was the tail piece for some reason, so like an idiot i messed with it... the buzzing didnt stop when i messed with it... so i looked into the action... bridge didnt fix anything it seemed... nor did adjusting the truss rod. so i put the old strings back on, somehow even though the action was out, and truss rod not where it previously was.. there didnt seem to be a single problem whatsoever.

so i went out and got some DR strings... medium gauge (this is what i THOUGHT came on the guitar when i bought it) and im in the same situation...

It also doesnt seem that the truss rod is doing as much as i think it should be... when i adjust it VERY small differences occur... as i stated, when i loosen it, the buzzing will just go up several frets... yet it will stay on the 2nd fret of the D string...

I'm very tired, confused, and quite annoyed... i DO want to work this out myself but if taking it somewhere is my only option, im ok with that. so please do whatever you can to help me out! thanks again for the responses!
Quote by Twidler
He's maybe not an expert but I think he's doing alright on his own.

OP it's just learning and as long as you don't do anything to drastic you shouldn't break it, I'd google and look through some of the guides on here and see how you get on then if you find you're getting nowhere take it to techy.

I like to think that im doing it right... but if you read my response right above this you'll see where my problems are... and i've been using guides all day on this lol believe me!
Quote by dwarf134
Not a trem

the buzzing is occuring mostly on the D string on the second fret. also ALOT on almost all the strings between frets 12 and like 20...

What i've been doing is setting the bridge right at about 2mm on the lowest 3 strings and between 1.5 and 1.8 mm on the first 3 high strings... it starts buzzing quite a bit where i mentioned above... i loosen the truss rod just a tad, the buzzing occurs still on the second fret, and on most frets higher than 16... i've loosened it in small turns almost all the way to the point that i dont feel comfortable loosening anymore... it still happens...

The whole thing that seemed to start this was from the frist time i changed the strings... OBVIOUSLY the entire tail piece came off and for some reason when i put all the strings back on (they were a lower gauge) there was ALOT of buzzing... i thought it was the tail piece for some reason, so like an idiot i messed with it... the buzzing didnt stop when i messed with it... so i looked into the action... bridge didnt fix anything it seemed... nor did adjusting the truss rod. so i put the old strings back on, somehow even though the action was out, and truss rod not where it previously was.. there didnt seem to be a single problem whatsoever.

so i went out and got some DR strings... medium gauge (this is what i THOUGHT came on the guitar when i bought it) and im in the same situation...

It also doesnt seem that the truss rod is doing as much as i think it should be... when i adjust it VERY small differences occur... as i stated, when i loosen it, the buzzing will just go up several frets... yet it will stay on the 2nd fret of the D string...

I'm very tired, confused, and quite annoyed... i DO want to work this out myself but if taking it somewhere is my only option, im ok with that. so please do whatever you can to help me out! thanks again for the responses!

ok, did you put the bridge on facing the right way?
do the screws face the headstock side?

does the tailpiece seem too far up or down. the string tension seem ok?

after you tune up, have you checked the intonation?

and when you measure the neck relief, what fits in the middle gap?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
ok, did you put the bridge on facing the right way?
do the screws face the headstock side?

does the tailpiece seem too far up or down. the string tension seem ok?

after you tune up, have you checked the intonation?

and when you measure the neck relief, what fits in the middle gap?

yes i put it on right

i'm not sure with the tailpiece... i had it all the way down, but i brought it up a little a couple days ago, maybe bring it up some more?

the intonation was also interesting... the E A and D strings all are a little bit flat, while the other 3 are perfect... i tried adjusting the E but for some reason, even the the saddle was moving, it was still flat everywhere... I forgot to mention this...

and i could MAYBE get a piece of paper in the middle gap... thats what i read would be appropriate for it though. but i've also seen, playing card, and even one saying a dime...
Quote by dwarf134
yes i put it on right

i'm not sure with the tailpiece... i had it all the way down, but i brought it up a little a couple days ago, maybe bring it up some more?

the intonation was also interesting... the E A and D strings all are a little bit flat, while the other 3 are perfect... i tried adjusting the E but for some reason, even the the saddle was moving, it was still flat everywhere... I forgot to mention this...

and i could MAYBE get a piece of paper in the middle gap... thats what i read would be appropriate for it though. but i've also seen, playing card, and even one saying a dime...

you're going to want to add a little more relief.
that would be a 1/4 turn counter clockwise.
dont force the turn.

even though there's no common sense to it,
sometimes intonation does not set, when the
relief is altered greatly.

like when the strings are changed from factory,
or you're made a lot of adjustments.

usually it falls back in line, as you get back to the
guitar's "sweet spot"

dont worry about the books.

add a little relief, then post back and give me updates.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
you're going to want to add a little more relief.
that would be a 1/4 turn counter clockwise.
dont force the turn.

even though there's no common sense to it,
sometimes intonation does not set, when the
relief is altered greatly.

like when the strings are changed from factory,
or you're made a lot of adjustments.

usually it falls back in line, as you get back to the
guitar's "sweet spot"

dont worry about the books.

add a little relief, then post back and give me updates.

ok i did that, we have ALOT of buzz on the E string from like 5-24 buzz on the A string from 5-24 but its particularly REALLY bad on the 14th... light buzz on every fret on the D string. little buzz on the G i think there is some in places but for the most part i think its just natural for new strings. this is the same with the B string... and for the high E we have the same again.

but still i dont feel the same comfort on those higher strings though... when i play power chords where you bar like the 2nd fret on all the strings, and play the 4th fret on the A and D string... it just feels HORRIBLE... when previously with the factory strings it felt so nice and good...
Quote by dwarf134
ok i did that, we have ALOT of buzz on the E string from like 5-24 buzz on the A string from 5-24 but its particularly REALLY bad on the 14th... light buzz on every fret on the D string. little buzz on the G i think there is some in places but for the most part i think its just natural for new strings. this is the same with the B string... and for the high E we have the same again.

but still i dont feel the same comfort on those higher strings though... when i play power chords where you bar like the 2nd fret on all the strings, and play the 4th fret on the A and D string... it just feels HORRIBLE... when previously with the factory strings it felt so nice and good...

yeah, if you increase the relief, you should be able to lower the bridge a little more.

also, make sure the strings are worked in a litttle, like said.
And that this is buzz that's transmitting thru the amp.
not acoustic buzzing.

how's the relief now? thin pick fit in there?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
yeah, if you increase the relief, you should be able to lower the bridge a little more.

also, make sure the strings are worked in a litttle, like said.
And that this is buzz that's transmitting thru the amp.
not acoustic buzzing.

how's the relief now? thin pick fit in there?

i can get a thin pick loosley in there right now, and i cant tell what the buzz sounds like through the amp... it seems that i've lost alot of sustain from it though...

I've also noticed just from looking at the neck that the lower frets seem to be closer to the strings and the highest ones seem to be closer as well but not nearly as close as the lower frets are...

and after tightening a little more the buzzing is still there... i cant really tell if its gotten worse or better though... should i maybe loosen the bridge a little?
yeah, for the time being, raise the bridge a bit.
see if the guitar is more playable, and if the guitar's intonation
is at all "set-able".

then post right back wt an update, because i'm about to take off for the night
to watch SNL.

after, if still having issues,
you might want a little more relief, because a thin pick
is still in the area of a small amount.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Feb 11, 2012,
Quote by jj1565
yeah, for the time being, raise the bridge a bit.
see if the guitar is more playable, and if the guitar's intonation
is at all "set-able".

then post right back wt an update, because i'm about to take off for the night
to watch SNL.

i will do that, but i'll add you on here and we'll continue this tomorrow, before i work, and even after i work if your able to... i really appreciate this help!
no problem. i'm in the setup thread daily.

you can also go there any time.
link is green in my sig.

Later.

oh and check my last post for the edit.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
no problem. i'm in the setup thread daily.

you can also go there any time.
link is green in my sig.

Later.

oh and check my last post for the edit.

well i followed that post pretty well, and i think for the most part i've gotten this pretty well straightened out... i really appreciate the help! my action is still a bit high, but its comfortable to play and theres very little buzzing that i've really noticed... thank you so much!
Just had a look at the spec list on the charvel site, I reckon the guitar came with 9's and you've maybe put 10's on which is why it maybe doesn't feel as nice to play and I think 10's buzz a bit more because of their mass. The other thing with 10's having more mass is the pickup magnet can have more pull on them.

I just had a quick google and yeh the DR mediums are 10 - 46, with your guitar having a 25.5 inch scale length they tend to fit 9 - 42 gauge as standard so that might be part of the problem. Also worth noting that heavier gauges can be worse for intonation.
Another thing is the screws for the intonation face towards the neck on the bridge.
Personally I tend to keep the neck fairly flat and raise the bridge but that's just my preference because I find with the 24 frets you get more buzz higher up the neck with a bigger relief and lower bridge. It sounds like you're making progress though. happy days