When I first picked up the guitar, I used a relatively thin, cheap pick for the first couple of months. I couldn't stand using them, so I switched to a big stubby (3mm). When I moved across the country for work, I had to purchase a new guitar along with new picks. The dinky guitar shop I shopped at didn't sell big stubbies, so I bought some dunlap .50mm picks, got used to them, but then later switched to dunlap 1mm picks. I'm actually pretty torn on which size I prefer, as it seems each size has its advantages. I feel more comfortable with the 1mm, but it also seems like I play better with the thinner .50mm size. I've had friends tell me that more experienced players always play with the thinner, more flimsy picks, and to drop the thicker ones, but I've also been told to play with whatever feels most comfortable. I plan on playing guitar (and getting relatively good) for the long run, and I would prefer to stick to one size pick for consistency, so what do you think? By the way, I tend to play thrash metal/New metal/Groove metal and some classic rock now and then. Thanks in advance.
When I first started I used really flimsy ones like .50mm and thin ones like that. Now-a-days, 5years later, I use 1mm, 1.13mm, and 1.3mm. At least thats what I think they are. I dont have any on hand right now.

But I use the 1mm and thicker ones for playing my normal hard rock and metal. But I use like .72mms(or something like that) when I play 90s alternative and stuff like that.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
3 mm my god! might as well play with a pence!

I any case I started at .72 went to 1.12, currently use a 1.25-1.3, if I'm playing a lot of chords I tend to use thicker picks but if I'm doing any quick picking then I prefer thinner.

But what your friend said it totally untrue, it's more likely that the genre of music he listens to it's common for thinner picks because it better suits their styles of playing.

Proof of this is sitting in front of me, I have a pick Fredrick used from Opeth it is 1.3<?> not a chunk of plastic but still pretty thick all things considered.
Who told you that really good people use thin picks? I've always heard that you need thick picks if you want to play fast. Now I have no idea who is right....

I've used heavy picks for the past couple years though around 2mm. But maybe I should be trying thinner ones....? You've confused me now. We both need to do more research on the subject.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

It all depends on the sound you want. I prefer the dunlop ultex picks. They have a great tone. I recommend getting the smallest to the largest gauge they have at the store you visit. Trying all the gauges will be a great experience since all sizes have different tone and uses. Thicker picks usually have better attack and thicker tone and thinner picks are better for arpeggiated stuff and strumming. The dunlop gator grips are good too but the ultex are very durable.
Thicker gives you more stabilasation to control your picking. I find this very helpful when (with a JAZZ III picks, noticeably smaller in overall size NOT thickness) alternate, sweep, pick-tapping/scraping and the such. Jazz picks ftw, try them. You'll never go back.

Thinner picks are better for really light strumming, or strumming extremely hard, I really don't see the point in using them other than a choice of tonal differentiation.

In this case it seems that Thicker is better.. (Sorry had to )
Last edited by Mr.-Bungle at Feb 11, 2012,
i've never heard that more experienced players use thinner picks. if anything, i'd have thought it was the other way around. i use the jazz IIIs.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Everybody uses everything. It's personal preference.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
4mm V Picks or bust. You could even go 11 if you're a daring man.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
For everything I prefer a thick pick, thin picks are too much flexible that messes up my speed plus I love a very firm attack.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Quote by Obama FTW
. But I use like .72mms(or something like that) when I play 90s alternative and stuff like that.

I play 90s alternative all the time and use .73s
i have a 10mm dimension unbuffed
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
i have a 10mm dimension unbuffed

?

The Dimension only comes in 4.1mm.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by RGallagherFan
I'll show YOU a big pick!

I've seen Carlos Santana with one of those.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I use .60s on acoustic and an assortment of picks ranging from .88mm to 2mm for rock and metal.
Quote by mmolteratx
?

The Dimension only comes in 4.1mm.

my sarcasm comes in only 1 flavor....lies!
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
and why somebody else's personal preference relative to your technique matters?

use what you use play what you play.

if you don't know what you like go to one a guitar shop that sells a shit ton of different picks for like a $.25 a pop and bring them home and see if you like them.

hell i am sure you could pick up a 'lot' of random picks for a few dollars on ebay. a good friend of mine bought a whole dunlop display full of picks for $40-50, with over a thousand picks, had at least twenty different kinds. he had the display and everything. why you need so many i do not know. but he wont be running out anytime soon.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Cathbard
I've seen Carlos Santana with one of those.

and Leslie West from Mountain