At the moment, I am using a friend's bass. I am gonna have to return that soon though. So I am gonna buy my own.

Budget: $1000 for both amp and bass.
Styles: Metal, Hard Rock, Funk
Bands I Play: Iron Maiden, Opeth, Metallica etc
Strings: 4 Strings
Will Be Used For Gigging?: Yes
New Or Used: New is preferred, but would go for a used if new is too expensive.

I think I covered everything.

Thanks,
I'm going to suggest you avoid the Behringer. Over-rated for power and not too great. I owned the 4500H for years, so I'm speaking from experience, not the behringer hate wagon. I even love a lot of their products, but not their bass amps.

Any particular reason you don't want to go used? It's a great way to save a lot of cash at your price point.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Any particular reason you don't want to go used? It's a great way to save a lot of cash at your price point.

Had bad experiences with used stuff before. :/
But I will take a used one if it's good.
Well, seeing as I'm a Hartke fanboy, you should take my advice with a pinch of salt.

Anyway! I would suggest that you look out for the Hartke 5210C combo or the 5410C combo. Great amps that cover a lot of range, and that are dead simple to understand.

I've seen the 5210C go for... 650-ish dollars.

As for bass, you should be able to find a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass or the Vintage modified P-bass on the web for 300-ish dollars.

You might want to go used though, and I,myself, would recommmend that you use the majority of the money on the amp.

Depending on how loud your band plays a 210 combo might not be able to cut it, so I would suggest looking for the 5410c combo.
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
Last edited by Fishybones at Feb 11, 2012,
Quote by MaddMann274
Had bad experiences with used stuff before. :/
But I will take a used one if it's good.

You do run a risk with amps in general and any gear that you haven't tried out, but if you try a used bass or cab and love it, there's no reason not to pick it up and save yourself half the used price.

I agree with the jazz bass plan for covering both metal and funk, but I think you could perhaps shoot for something nice than the VM series (not that they're not nice) if you go used.