So, looking for a practice amp.

I can get the Spyder 3 75W for 150, and the Roland 60 cube for 200.

My bass amp is a Roland Cube, and I love it. So I have a rather good experience with Roland Cube.

But from what I've heard, the Line 6 Spyder 3 is a pretty decent practice amp, I just have no experience with it (except maybe trying it ONCE at Guitar Center... maybe...)

So, UG. Which should I get, and why?

And please don't tell me "neither", unless you provide an immediate deal (ie "You could probably find a better amp for the same price somewhere", give a link).

Thanks a bunch
Out of those two it's no contest. The Cube is useable, the Spider isn't.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Between those two amps I would definitely go for the Roland Cube. However, you should also look into the Fender Mustang and the Peavey Vypyr. They're all great practice amps and you should get the one you like best.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Life is indeed a broken image.

Last.fm
PSN: BlindNematode
Now... elaborate?

Those kind of posts perturb me. What's "useable"? To gig? Hell no, I wouldn't think about that. (though, I may soon be gigging with my Roland bass... Maybe...)
Quote by jeleopard
Now... elaborate?

Those kind of posts perturb me. What's "useable"? To gig? Hell no, I wouldn't think about that. (though, I may soon be gigging with my Roland bass... Maybe...)

No no no......the Cube is quality, the spider is not

Cube>the rest
I also looked at some reviews. People claim it's one of the best, if not the best, SS amp around.

Cool. Might just get it then.
I'm a big fan of the peavey vypyr myself, I like it better than the cube tbh. Although the cube is great too, far better than the spider.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
I know I've tried the Peavey Vypyr... 30, I think it was, and I just could not like it.

Once again, Guitar Center, and everything in there sounds like ass, but eh.
rule number 1 about UG: Everyone here will tell you that line 6 is sh*t, no questions asked. second thing is that most of those people will rant about their stupid peavy vypyr. I actually own both a micro cube and a line 6 120w spider. sound wise though, roland sounds the least transistor IMO. the functionality and interface is much cooler on line 6, but who cares i guess. plus the spider lacks certain basic features, like a line out lol. bottom line, look into roland cuz they make sturdy and cheap amps, but honestly buy what you think is the better deal
Quote by jeleopard
I know I've tried the Peavey Vypyr... 30, I think it was, and I just could not like it.

Once again, Guitar Center, and everything in there sounds like ass, but eh.

Vox VT20+ plenty loud enough for practice the VT40+ is good enough for small gigs

The simple fact is the Vox (Valvetronix) have an actual value in the preamp giving a much less digital sound than anything other than the Roland cube. Between a Spider and a Roland cube no contest the cube is a much better amp
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
One 12AX7 is going to make dick all difference to anything.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
One 12AX7 is going to make dick all difference to anything.

Solid...state...?
The Cube is definitely a better amp in general. I used to own a Spider III 75w, I liked it at first but at that point it was my first real amp. The cube is a better quality amp, better sounding. Basically the cube an all around good practice amp. Also, I believe someone mentioned a Vox Valvetronix and thats a pretty decent amp as well. If I were in your situation, I would get the cube. I love Roland cubes.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
Quote by Willowthewitch
Vox VT20+ plenty loud enough for practice the VT40+ is good enough for small gigs

The simple fact is the Vox (Valvetronix) have an actual value in the preamp giving a much less digital sound than anything other than the Roland cube. Between a Spider and a Roland cube no contest the cube is a much better amp

Tube in preamp section?

I thought the 12ax7 was in the power section for the new line of VTs?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by warbeast19
rule number 1 about UG: Everyone here will tell you that line 6 is sh*t, no questions asked.

It's not so much that line 6 is shit, just the spider series of amps.

Quite a few line 6 products get pretty stellar reviews, and are recommended very frequently (pod HD300/400/500/PRO, M5/13 FX unit, relay wireless units, XT live). I used to own a 75W spider III. At first I loved it. Mainly because of all the effects. Once I started trying to get a solid base sound, I quickly realized the shortcomings of the amp. The vypyrs and cubes sound way better for the money.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by warbeast19
rule number 1 about UG: Everyone here will tell you that line 6 is sh*t, no questions asked. second thing is that most of those people will rant about their stupid peavy vypyr. I actually own both a micro cube and a line 6 120w spider. sound wise though, roland sounds the least transistor IMO. the functionality and interface is much cooler on line 6, but who cares i guess. plus the spider lacks certain basic features, like a line out lol. bottom line, look into roland cuz they make sturdy and cheap amps, but honestly buy what you think is the better deal

Haha, is funny how you compare a micro cube with line 6 120w, dude...seriously
Roland Cube hands down. That is in my opinion the best ss amp around. Plus its built like an effin tank. You could probably throw it down a flight of stairs and it would be fine.
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback